Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2013, 04:33 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamCharger1985 View Post
If a child-free man wants to volunteer for something that involves children, he's automatically assumed to be a pedophile. Can't blame any guy for not wanting to get involved.
I actually knew someone through a parish Catholic venue who was involved in Big Brothers. Super nice guy, but slightly off ... I don't know. He was very much a mama's boy, and she sounded like the one who wore the pants. She was a grammar school teacher. Since he had a degree in something generic, I think he was looking to go back for a year, or whatever, to get his teacher certification. I hope that all of his efforts, both then and in his future, were because he REALLY wanted to be altruistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 04:44 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
That's not the case. It's an excuse. Further, working women, actually working moms, volunteer at greater rates than SAHMs. Go figure. The reality, imo, is that most men just don't give a shyte. I love my husband, but I know he doesn't give crap. Any volunteer work he has done has been through me. To be clear, I'm not saying all, but the vast majoirty don't have it as an aspect of the daily framework. And that's fine, but it's a load of hooey to try to blame women for not picking up their slack.
I see that with my parents as well. They're both retired, but my mom volunteers at the art museum and at their church and for a group that raises money for the children's hospital, and my dad reads the paper and plays golf.

I also remember in the first weeks of college when people were signing up for clubs and activities, almost all of them were 95% women: Habitat for Humanity, volunteering for the homeless shelter, the animal shelter, to pick up trash by the river--practically all women. Heck, if dudes want to know where to meet women, volunteer.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:49 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I also remember in the first weeks of college when people were signing up for clubs and activities, almost all of them were 95% women: Habitat for Humanity, volunteering for the homeless shelter, the animal shelter, to pick up trash by the river--practically all women. Heck, if dudes want to know where to meet women, volunteer.
This is what so many guys miss out on. They think bars/clubs are where you meet women, then they complain that a lot of women go just to relax with their women-friends. They don't get the volunteering thing. You'd think there would be a lot of guys in Habitat for Humanity, because it involves carpentry and construction. I wonder why men tend to be so single-minded about bars and parties as the places to meet women?

Old 02-14-2013, 05:08 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
I don't date people who are angry or illogical. Therefore I don't date "men's rights" activitists. Men as a class are not "oppressed." The stats don't lie. I think in most cases, these men are people with problems in other areas of their life, and they choose to blame their unhappiness on the imaginary oppression of their gender

Old 02-14-2013, 05:11 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamCharger1985 View Post
If a child-free man wants to volunteer for something that involves children, he's automatically assumed to be a pedophile. Can't blame any guy for not wanting to get involved.

I only mentioned children because those are usually the activities that men with young children volunteer for.

There are plenty of volunteer opportunities beyond working with children, and I don't many see young single men taking advantage of those either.

Last edited by duster1979; 02-14-2013 at 05:36 PM..

Old 02-14-2013, 05:34 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is what so many guys miss out on. They think bars/clubs are where you meet women, then they complain that a lot of women go just to relax with their women-friends. They don't get the volunteering thing. You'd think there would be a lot of guys in Habitat for Humanity, because it involves carpentry and construction. I wonder why men tend to be so single-minded about bars and parties as the places to meet women?
We had a ton of male volunteers when I worked with Corazon (similar to HFH but builds in Mexico), so that's good.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:02 PM

599 posts, read 953,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
And any person that does not want to pay alimony (male or female) should marry their financial equal or better. Seems simple enough to me.

So when your husband loses his job, hangs out for a year or so looking for a new one, then files for divorce, *you* are in the alimony trap. What about the situation where you marry someone equal, and 20 years later your career has taken off and theirs hasn't?

People blow off this issue too easily. I know a woman whose husband lost his job, screwed around, and then took her to the cleaners in the divorce. No one living in an alimony state is immune to being screwed.

The other issue is that if people restrict their potential mates to only people who make more money than they do, it drastically reduces the pool. Do you really believe someone making, say, $100K should restrict their dating to someone who is making $100K+?

Oh wait, they already are, especially women, which is why the marriage rate is the lowest ever, and still dropping like a rock. Many women refuse to marry someone who makes less money, which makes things very difficult when they make $100K+. I know several women like this. They don't even date.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:06 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoalimony View Post
So when your husband loses his job, hangs out for a year or so looking for a new one, then files for divorce, *you* are in the alimony trap. What about the situation where you marry someone equal, and 20 years later your career has taken off and theirs hasn't?

People blow off this issue too easily. I know a woman whose husband lost his job, screwed around, and then took her to the cleaners in the divorce. No one living in an alimony state is immune to being screwed.
What a breath of fresh air this post is, compared to the constant whining and harping by the guys that divorce laws favor women, women always take men to the cleaners in a divorce, blah blah. That simply isn't true. Women get cleaned out in divorce, too.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:11 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,429,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
What rights are infringed upon for a male? They have a right to their body, jobs are laid out for them for the most part, colleges as well, health benefits, medicines, etc.

Or are they arguing that sexist has switched and they are now facing discrimination?

Yea, I have to have a talk with him, and he needs to explain why he is an activist for males, then I will decide.
Other groups have activists,why not men...I see them slowly slipping into the minority now.

Btw funny you should mention jobs,if anyone gets handed jobs it's women...and what problems do they have getting into college,health benefits,and medicine? After a certain age women make up the majority of seniors,since statistically they outlive men.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:19 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Other groups have activists,why not men...I see them slowly slipping into the minority now.

Btw funny you should mention jobs,if anyone gets handed jobs it's women...and what problems do they have getting into college,health benefits,and medicine? After a certain age women make up the majority of seniors,since statistically they outlive men.
I think it depends on the industry. In my industry, less than 3% of the total jobs are held by women and the women I have talked to have all agreed it can be very difficult, if not impossible, to get a decent job and move up in the ranks because we simply aren't taken as seriously as the men are. We're a novelty and it's 'cute' to have a woman or two around, but they really aren't given the same opportunities as they men are and I've experienced this first hand.

It was tough getting through engineering school, and horrible going through A&P school (aircraft maintenance). I was the only woman who graduated in my class for A&P school and believe me, I was judged FAR harsher on my projects than the men were. If I made a mistake it was amplified and it was because 'I was a girl', but if the guys did it, it was a 'learning experience'.

So yes, it can still be very difficult for women to get into certain industries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships