Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 03:04 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
They don't call it "liquid courage" for nothing.
Anyone who needs "liquid courage" in order to be sociable needs to get help for shyness or inhibitions. Join Toastmasters--some people swear by it as a way to get over social awkwardness. It's not just about public speaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 03:06 PM

19,711 posts, read 20,240,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You don't need to drug yourself in order to enjoy the company of other people.

sheesh

Depends on the company.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:11 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,919,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Anyone who needs "liquid courage" in order to be sociable needs to get help for shyness or inhibitions.
I agree, and I'm certainly not saying it's an indicator of healthy functioning, but I was just pointing out what the correlation is since you asked. There's a reason that social events tend to have alcohol present. Also, the amount of confidence/courage that some people need to approach someone of the opposite sex to whom they're attracted is far greater than what they need just to be "sociable." One of the downsides is that most people are way less attractive when they're drunk, of course.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:20 PM

44 posts, read 74,380 times
Giving up booze for good? I'm guessing it's because you've embarrassed yourself on a few occasions? Honestly, a better way to learn self control is to not have to totally ditch something all together, but to learn to limit yourself. Maybe I'm totally wrong about the reason you want to quit drinking, but if I'm right, I'd consider just limiting yourself to 2-3 beers while out. Works out all the way around.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:25 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,919,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderControl View Post
Giving up booze for good? I'm guessing it's because you've embarrassed yourself on a few occasions? Honestly, a better way to learn self control is to not have to totally ditch something all together, but to learn to limit yourself. Maybe I'm totally wrong about the reason you want to quit drinking, but if I'm right, I'd consider just limiting yourself to 2-3 beers while out. Works out all the way around.
The thing is that addicts can't consume in moderation. It's all or nothing for them. It's a brain disease with a genetic predisposition that is not about "self control." For those of us who aren't addicts, of course, moderation is usually the key, but if he's considering giving up completely I'm going to guess that's not the case with him.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:41 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,277,311 times
Try to avoid bars if you plan on being the "good friend sober driver"

The bars are torture and you realize how annoying drunk people are and you have to deal with their crap.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:34 PM

132 posts, read 188,404 times
I like how everyone assumes that people who go to bars are the scum of the earth, you can meet some decent people there. I like to go for a few beers and games of pool not to pick up people but I have met some pretty cool people there.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:48 PM

19,711 posts, read 20,240,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovaninek View Post
I like how everyone assumes that people who go to bars are the scum of the earth, you can meet some decent people there. I like to go for a few beers and games of pool not to pick up people but I have met some pretty cool people there.
I agree. Plus beer is awesome.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:50 PM

52,259 posts, read 52,668,250 times
I actually do have good "game" when I got 3 or 4 in me... not talking sloppy drunk, but enough to entertain the troops.....

Old 02-15-2013, 05:52 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovaninek View Post
I like how everyone assumes that people who go to bars are the scum of the earth
No one has assumed or said anything of the kind. Wow, projecting, much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships