U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 11:08 AM

13,022 posts, read 12,480,451 times

Advertisements

It's almost a cliche on dating sites where someone says "I like to laugh." Well, no ****. Who's gonna say "I like to mope and snarl at people."?

But I've found that in my most successful relationships, humor has been a significant component. So I'm wondering, Is laughter one of those things that "cements" a relationship? How important is it in your relationships?

The guy I'm seeing now, we are usually on the verge of cracking up with each other. There's plenty of attraction and desire (we are both very physical - like to be touched and to snuggle), but I'd say the defining characteristic is that we are always giggling about something. Sometimes I can't actually breathe or get my words out. We can talk about serious stuff and we have some very deep and intelligent conversations. But most of the time we are falling over laughing about something silly.

I haven't had this in a long time, and I love it. It's just FUN! I look forward to every date because I know I'm going to have a blast, even if we just hang out on the couch.

But how fundamental is it to a good relationship? Or is this just a nice feature, like a person having your preferred hair color or body type? And yeah, I realize this information is kind of specific to every individual, but I figured I'd float it out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 11:15 AM

8,710 posts, read 7,790,473 times
My SO is very witty, I am too but even I have trouble keeping up with him sometimes. We laugh a lot. And something bizarre that others wouldn't find funny, the two of us will be laughing until we're crying and can't breathe.

Wittiness and humour are essential to both of us, definitely cements our relationship. Early on, having just met a good friend of his, as I was leaving the room, I heard him remark to his friend "and she's quick too!" There's a lot to be said for someone who mentally stimulates you.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:18 AM

21,199 posts, read 20,144,866 times
I couldn't be with someone that I didn't laugh with.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:19 AM

10,564 posts, read 11,661,819 times
I laugh all the time, and to me, most things are just darn funny. My EX told me "life is meant to be serious" and had a constant frown. I have an older relative that's the same way, I tell her, "turn that frown upside down" and poke at her, which causes her to go into an absolute rage. Life's too short to me mad all the time.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:19 AM

17,868 posts, read 17,097,981 times
Doesn't seem to be very important to the women I run across.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:26 AM

21,498 posts, read 22,749,241 times
Most people like to laugh, but it's what they find funny that makes the difference. If you've got one person who thinks watching You Tube videos of people getting hit in the crotch and falling off of things is the height of humor, and someone else who enjoys witty wordplay and banter, then they might not be a great match.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:43 AM

3 posts, read 1,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Most people like to laugh, but it's what they find funny that makes the difference. If you've got one person who thinks watching You Tube videos of people getting hit in the crotch and falling off of things is the height of humor, and someone else who enjoys witty wordplay and banter, then they might not be a great match.
That is correct, whenever someone laughs at the same sick jokes I find funny I feel there's a connection there. It's a distinction like the people who laugh at Friends (makes me puke) versus the ones who laugh at Seinfeld (hilarious).

Old 02-15-2013, 11:48 AM

31,528 posts, read 18,492,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
It's almost a cliche on dating sites where someone says "I like to laugh." Well, no ****. Who's gonna say "I like to mope and snarl at people."?

But I've found that in my most successful relationships, humor has been a significant component. So I'm wondering, Is laughter one of those things that "cements" a relationship? How important is it in your relationships?

LOL you are funny!

Well in general, people like to associate themselves with upbeat and positive people. When a man laughs, especially when he shows those bright white teeth, that is a total turn on.

It definitely is a bonus when a dude makes me laugh. Who doesn't want a happy person? There's nothing like a well-placed, well-timed joke.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:03 PM

5,387 posts, read 6,275,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post

The guy I'm seeing now, we are usually on the verge of cracking up with each other. There's plenty of attraction and desire (we are both very physical - like to be touched and to snuggle), but I'd say the defining characteristic is that we are always giggling about something. Sometimes I can't actually breathe or get my words out. We can talk about serious stuff and we have some very deep and intelligent conversations. But most of the time we are falling over laughing about something silly.

I haven't had this in a long time, and I love it. It's just FUN! I look forward to every date because I know I'm going to have a blast, even if we just hang out on the couch.

But how fundamental is it to a good relationship? Or is this just a nice feature, like a person having your preferred hair color or body type? And yeah, I realize this information is kind of specific to every individual, but I figured I'd float it out there.
Laughter is a nice-to-have for me personally, but not a fundamental, non-negotiable requirement...after all, no matter how much humor two people who love each other can share together, the fact remains that life in general itself, tends to remain a very serious matter...

Old 02-15-2013, 12:06 PM

4,230 posts, read 5,897,714 times
Laughter is everything. If I cant laugh at myself, my life, and other people around me at the end of the day...what a miserable life I would have. Its too hectic and stressful not to have a lighthearted moment every day...idk how I'd personally get through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships