Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 06:59 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,198,499 times

Advertisements

Cheating is wrong of course but there's usually a reason for it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 07:01 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Cheating is wrong of course but there's usually a reason for it
Sure, although I don't know if there are any good reasons.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:03 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Cool story, bro. Is there a question? I'm not sure what you want from this thread.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:09 AM

1,233 posts, read 1,782,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Well, it was a well-written story by city-data standards.
I thought the same thing!
Actually, I read this right before bed and then I had a dream that I was having an affair with a married woman. I woke up right when we were about to have sex and I said to her "I forgot my condom." Thanks OP! :-(

Old 02-16-2013, 07:13 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,764,116 times
Cheating usually seems like a symptom of another problem. Just sayin'.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:03 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
Artie sure messed up. Not very smart taking her to a major attraction attended by many people not far from his home esp in a day and age where nearly everyone can record things on their phones . Artie got overconfident and thought he was the man. Not condoning cheating at all just saying.

What about Lennie now?

Old 02-16-2013, 09:04 AM

393 posts, read 466,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Cheating is wrong of course
I don't think that's so clear at all. It can basically be defined as breaking a promise or agreement. Well, people break all sorts of promises and agreements all the time without it being considered wrong. You could even argue that a promise which limits one's freedom the way this one does is one that people have the right to break. What if two people agreed to get married, and then one decided they wanted to marry someone else instead? Would it be wrong to break that agreement?

Old 02-16-2013, 09:12 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi64 View Post
I don't think that's so clear at all. It can basically be defined as breaking a promise or agreement. Well, people break all sorts of promises and agreements all the time without it being considered wrong. You could even argue that a promise which limits one's freedom the way this one does is one that people have the right to break. What if two people agreed to get married, and then one decided they wanted to marry someone else instead? Would it be wrong to break that agreement?
All dictionary definitions of cheating include dishonesty or unfairness. Cheating on a test, cheating on your taxes, cheating death, etc. Calling it merely breaking an agreement is facile. If you promise to drive me to the airport and then forget and leave me stranded, are you a cheat? No.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:18 AM

393 posts, read 466,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
All dictionary definitions of cheating include dishonesty or unfairness. Cheating on a test, cheating on your taxes, cheating death, etc. Calling it merely breaking an agreement is facile. If you promise to drive me to the airport and then forget and leave me stranded, are you a cheat? No.
Dictionaries don't generally define cheating in the sense of infidelity to mean either dishonesty or unfairness. It usually has a separate entry which simply says it's a slang term for being sexually unfaithful. How is breaking a promise "dishonest" per se? And "fairness" is very subjective. If someone eventually has strong feelings for someone else, but also still loves their spouse/SO, they could feel that it's unfair to have to continue to abide by something when they now have feelings they didn't foresee at the beginning, especially given that they can't talk to their spouse/SO about it without probably screwing up the marriage/relationship.

And cheating death is hardly unfair, is it?

Last edited by Pi64; 02-16-2013 at 09:28 AM..

Old 02-16-2013, 09:20 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,067,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Cool story, bro. Is there a question? I'm not sure what you want from this thread.
I was thinking the same thing. What is the point of this thread and why should we give a crap about Artie and his situation??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships