Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 06:27 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times

Advertisements

I've heard it said on this forum said by tall ladies and some guys, that it seems in some cases that, contrary to what you would expect, if you're a short guy you're just as likely to attract tall women as shorter women. Say, if you're 5'6", you'll have just as much success with a woman your height or taller, even up to say 5'11", than a shorter woman. Personally that doesn't sound right. I think the majority of women of any height are still more likely to go for someone at least their own height if not taller. But hey, this is what I've heard.

Looking at it from the other side, you'd expect shorter women would have less of an expectation of being with a tall man, even if their ideal is 6 feet. Real life seems to bear this out. But i've also heard of some short women, say 5'2", who say that a man under 6 foot is unacceptable to them! There are some women who want to feel protected...how many short women have a strong preference for tall men, not just tallER men, and would hold that up as a big priority?

At 5'9" my height probably isn't a major problem but sometimes I feel like I'm competing with taller blokes, especially if I went to a club or something, where I live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 08:54 AM

499 posts, read 756,504 times
Shorter women socially have "more options" and can afford to be picky with height. Taller women get stigmatized sometimes, have to compete with shorter women for the limited amount taller men available (6'+ is only 10-14%% of the male population) and may sometimes overlook height to a degree.

Anectodally, I (not that short) and many of my shorter friends have had far more success with average height, taller women and short women from ethnicities where the average height for men is lower than the U.S. average.

On that note, every woman is an individual and while height preferences for taller men are almost universal, it does not mean that a shorter guy (or short man) can't do well and pick up tall women and short women alike.

All comes down to you being comfortable with yourself, being confident, having your life in order and having something to offer.

A short man can be a ladies man.

However, height bias, height prejudice, height bigotry and heightism definitely exist and should be challenged. Don't let being short stop you from living a fulfilling life. Too many short successful men to dwell on being short and attending pity parties every day.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:07 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
sorry the bad news im 5 ft 9 and love tall women, its not guna happen being with someone under 6 3 is an embarrassment to most of them.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:14 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
You know I wasn't really aware of this supposed preference for short women until recently. I'm not sure how much I buy it. I always thought taller women were preferred, a lot of the hot celebs are taller than the average for a female. Most of the sex symbols are taller than the average. I really don't believe a stunning 5'7" woman with long legs has any disadvantage to a pretty 5'1". If anything, it's the opposite. But short women seldom have much of a problem with their height, some even seem to get tall men.

If I'm gonna have better luck at the taller end of the spectrum, it merely confirms my attraction to tallish women. Most of the women I've been attracted to have been on the tallish side, come to think of it, usually a bit shorter to my height. Still, as long as she's 5 feet being short isn't a drawback at all if she's a great person and attractive.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:18 AM

499 posts, read 756,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
You know I wasn't really aware of this supposed preference for short women until recently. I'm not sure how much I buy it. I always thought taller women were preferred, a lot of the hot celebs are taller than the average for a female. Most of the sex symbols are taller than the average. I really don't believe a stunning 5'7" woman with long legs has any disadvantage to a pretty 5'1". If anything, it's the opposite. But short women seldom have much of a problem with their height, some even seem to get tall men.

If I'm gonna have better luck at the taller end of the spectrum, it merely confirms my attraction to tallish women. Most of the women I've been attracted to have been on the tallish side, come to think of it, usually a bit shorter to my height. Still, as long as she's 5 feet being short isn't a drawback at all if she's a great person and attractive.
I can't tell you what to do or think, but I have a preference for shorter women, but will not write off taller women. Past experience tells me to be sure that a taller woman is genuinely interested before making a move (I would need real cues). I have been with a lot of taller women.

But when I am interested, height means little. You are wrong IMO on celebrities though. There is no shortage of short female sex symbols (paula abdul, j lo, rosario dawson, kelly ripa, lady gaga, etc).

I make a move on women I am interested in, not based on how tall she is. Height is not a dealbreaker for me but it is for a lot of women. That is the reality. The women who reject you based on height aren't worth your time. Would you want to be with someone who didn't want you for you? I'm sure you have your own preferences.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:23 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,396,900 times
As a tall woman (6'1" and always in heels...which I'm sure the whole board is well aware of by now ), certain men caught my eye and most of it had to do with build (broad shoulders & overall mass) and how they carried themselves.

I know people seem to think tall women don't have a lot of options when it comes to men, but that may have been my case when I was in high school, but once I got to college and especially afterwards, I pretty much had my pick. They all approached me, from 5'4" to over 7'. The tall guys tend to get cocky and think they're our only option while the shorter guys seem to be into the challenge (and for some I'd even consider it a fetish.)

The thing is, taller men are more noticeable in a crowd. If you're a 5'9" male, you're in a "sea of people" from my point of view.

I wish I could continue my opinions on this...but I need to head for a spa pedi...so I can rock my new 6" heels tonight with my 5'9" husband.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:26 AM

39,219 posts, read 27,586,391 times
I am 5'7" the shortest man I've dated is 5'10"
I haven't been physically attracted to anybody shorter than me, but have found many shorter men to be intellectually stimulating to say the least.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:38 PM

803 posts, read 1,667,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've heard it said on this forum said by tall ladies and some guys, that it seems in some cases that, contrary to what you would expect, if you're a short guy you're just as likely to attract tall women as shorter women. Say, if you're 5'6", you'll have just as much success with a woman your height or taller, even up to say 5'11", than a shorter woman. Personally that doesn't sound right. I think the majority of women of any height are still more likely to go for someone at least their own height if not taller. But hey, this is what I've heard.
I agree most women want someone at their level or taller, but some taller women (like 5'10+) are overlooked and may be more open to dating shorter men, or it's a case of "opposites attract" even though they do well with tall men. I'm 5'6 and get interest from taller women every now and then, like 5'9 at most, but the vast majority are shorter than me.

Quote:
Looking at it from the other side, you'd expect shorter women would have less of an expectation of being with a tall man, even if their ideal is 6 feet. Real life seems to bear this out. But i've also heard of some short women, say 5'2", who say that a man under 6 foot is unacceptable to them! There are some women who want to feel protected...how many short women have a strong preference for tall men, not just tallER men, and would hold that up as a big priority?
Women like this are often picky and demanding about everything. Lots of shorter women (like under 5'3) turn down tall guys, too.

Quote:
At 5'9" my height probably isn't a major problem but sometimes I feel like I'm competing with taller blokes, especially if I went to a club or something, where I live.
That's just how it is, but not every tall guy does so well with women or believes that their height is a huge advantage. Carrying yourself well and showing up with friends can help improve your odds.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:56 PM

518 posts, read 1,004,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I am 5'7" the shortest man I've dated is 5'10"
I haven't been physically attracted to anybody shorter than me, but have found many shorter men to be intellectually stimulating to say the least.

Lily, I'm an inch shorter than you and the only guy I ever dated that I considered to be too short for my taste was when I was in my 20s and he was about an inch or two shorter than I was. It felt weird to look down at him and it felt even worse whenever I wore high heels or any type of footwear that had a heel on it. As I've said in previous threads regarding short men, they just don't appeal to me physically - although they may have awesome personalities and may be good men in general. If I'm not attracted to a guy physically...it's NOT happening, period. Many men feel this way about women as well and they don't feel the need to make excuses for it nor justify why they feel the way that they do - it's just their preference. I'm sure extremely tall women also experience this type of prejudice on a lower scale, although I tend to think that short men experience it more often and on a higher scale than tall women do.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:59 PM

39,219 posts, read 27,586,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apotamkin_Renesmee View Post
Lily, I'm an inch shorter than you and the only guy I ever dated that I considered to be too short for my taste was when I was in my 20s and he was about an inch or two shorter than I was. It felt weird to look down at him and it felt even worse whenever I wore high heels or any type of footwear that had a heel on it. As I've said in previous threads regarding short men, they just don't appeal to me physically - although they may have awesome personalities and may be good men in general. If I'm not attracted to a guy physically...it's NOT happening, period. Many men feel this way about women as well and they don't feel the need to make excuses for it nor justify why they feel the way that they do - it's just their preference. I'm sure extremely tall women also experience this type of prejudice on a lower scale, although I tend to think that short men experience it more often and on a higher scale than tall women do.
agreed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships