Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 02:14 PM

350 posts, read 383,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonds&pearls View Post
Oh dear.

Another one.

Listen OP, I hate to tell you this but she's just not that into you.

I say this because she is "busy" every night. She's not. If you were Ryan Gosling, would she be "busy" every night? Like hell.

Even if she was into you, you are probably going to turn her OFF permanently. I know this because of this question -

Are there any particular topics I should cover? As an addendum to this: should I try to 'escalate' the conversation to more 'sexual' topics at times?

I tend to agree with this. If you have to ask what's appropriate to talk about, that means you're not comfortable with yourself and what to do. That usually leads to snake eyes on a date.

But the good news is that you have an entire semester.

Go out to lunch and just go with your gut. If you keep talking to her, maybe the conversation will take off on its own and sooner or later you ask her out again? But based on my experience, I wouldn't do that right away ... let things gestate. Just talk to her like you would an acquaintance. If you want to take another shot later, do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 02:38 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
The "lunch" part of the date is the least of his worries.

Students can be busy each night. I think she works as well. He has asked her out, she said yes, so they can proceed!

OP, just be yourself. If you guys are in a class together, start out talking about that. Then if she mentions different things about her life, ask about that.

At the end, if you had fun, say something like, "I'd like to take you out to dinner [or movie etc.] sometime. Can I call you?"

Be prepared for her answer either way.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
The "lunch" part of the date is the least of his worries.

Students can be busy each night. I think she works as well. He has asked her out, she said yes, so they can proceed!

OP, just be yourself. If you guys are in a class together, start out talking about that. Then if she mentions different things about her life, ask about that.

At the end, if you had fun, say something like, "I'd like to take you out to dinner [or movie etc.] sometime. Can I call you?"

Only he can judge if there is a vibe there. I would approach someone from the classroom like you would approach someone from work. I think this calls for things to be taken a little slower, but that's just me. You wouldn't start humping on a coworker right away, so it probably pays to take the same approach with a classmate.

Now if they met in a social setting, different scenario altogether.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:38 PM

77 posts, read 149,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Clean View Post
no, dude, unless I'm reading too much into your post, you got the wrong approach in mind for a newbie who is doing his first lunch date, right??? heck, it sounds like you have zero experience with dating women and are in high school, but please correct me if I am wrong.

Anyway, lunch dates are cool but just focus on finding good conversation topics to get a few chuckles. like people magazine stuff, pop culture (movies, celebrities, music, etc), you can even try to stupid knock-knock jokes just for kicks (google). goal is to have her leaving feeling she had a good time with you, so you can do it again soon. avoid doing an overly-interview style approach, e.g., where are you from, what do you like to do for fun, do you go out much, blah blah blah. I know others say people like talking about themselves, but it can be to intrusive and, most importantly, b-o-r-i-n-g. IMHO, it's the number one mistake guys make when starting to conversation with a woman.

P.S.: Drop the PUA stuff, that's usually helps dudes who at least have some experience dating.
Correct. I have zero experience dating women, but I'm in grad school.

Good to know -- sorry, been googling and the PUA forums always come up. I didn't realize a lot of the advice was that unmeritorious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonds&pearls View Post
Listen OP, I hate to tell you this but she's just not that into you.

I say this because she is "busy" every night. She's not. If you were Ryan Gosling, would she be "busy" every night? Like hell.

. . .

I have no clue what thought processes led you to consider this as appropriate.
Thought process: googling and stumbling upon PUA forums where people discuss that. I don't want to out myself too much, so I'll stay vague: we have a lot of employer reception events this/next month and they eat into a lot of evenings. In fact, I'm going to some myself, so it's not as if all my nights this week will be free either.

You may very well be right that she's not interested. But, I don't think I'll write it off completely yet . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

Thanks for the tips and encouragement!

Old 02-18-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP17 View Post
Correct. I have zero experience dating women, but I'm in grad school.

Good to know -- sorry, been googling and the PUA forums always come up. I didn't realize a lot of the advice was that unmeritorious.
It's not that whether the advice they give is or isn't meritorious, it is more an issue of finding what fits you.

Take negging, for instance. This resonated with me because while these PUA guys were in elemetary school and when I was your age I actually used to do this naturally with my chick friends, and they absolutely loved it when I did this. But that's different: humor, quick wit, sarcasm, blurting out what other people are thinking but ashamed to say ... that's me. I'm damn good at it and damned funny around people who appreciate that too. It comes natural to me and it always has. When it comes natural to you, it works.

That's different from following something someone says in a book, where you copy what they do and then go out in a bar and start making fun of people's shoes and 50 other guys are doing the same things because they read the same books you did and come across as annoying and phoney and boring and are all the same as you are.

Unfortunately, I spent many years listening to the people who follow "The Rules" even before there were rules and switched from being a very entertaining and attractive guy in my right, to a castrated male trying to give my audience what I was told they wanted ... by talking about my cat, my nephews and what a great guy I am. In other words, I stopped doing what WORKED and listened to all this stupid crap being passed around by all these other people who don't know about this stuff any better than anybody else does.

That's what resonated with me in these books, not the phony things they suggest like negging people and doing magic tricks for them.

Bottom line: I think the big thing to get out of those books is to be yourself, but that means you have to get comfortable with yourself first, and then just be yourself. If talking about Star Trek is what interests you, then talk about it. If negging comes natural to you, then neg. But the point really is to be real. DO WHAT COMES NATURAL TO YOU.

Last edited by Beacon of Truth; 02-18-2013 at 03:59 PM..

Old 02-18-2013, 04:26 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Be yourself, don't stress out. Have a nice lunch.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Be yourself, don't stress out. Have a nice lunch.
One more thing I wanted to share: When I was in grad school, a bunch of us would regularly go out drinking on Thursdays in the afternoon after classes were over. (No classes on Fridays.) That was really the best opportunity to get to know people and be social for me.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:01 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,262 times
Don't talk with your mouth full, don't put so much in you look like a hamster, don't dribble, don't stick your tongue out when your putting the food in, oh.................. and don't fall off your chair laughing if she farts.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:17 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,082,578 times
You're over-thinking it. If you want to actually date this girl, don't follow PUA advice. Don't play games, just be yourself.

I can understand the nervousness if you're inexperienced, but honestly - don't worry about it. If she likes you, you'll know. Plus, she already agreed to meet you for lunch right? So the most difficult part is over! Meet up with her, smile, laugh, and have a good time.

I'd suggest going for a hug at the end (depending on how it goes, of course). A kiss after a first/lunch date may come across as a little too pushy.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:23 PM

77 posts, read 149,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
You're over-thinking it. If you want to actually date this girl, don't follow PUA advice. Don't play games, just be yourself.

I can understand the nervousness if you're inexperienced, but honestly - don't worry about it. If she likes you, you'll know. Plus, she already agreed to meet you for lunch right? So the most difficult part is over! Meet up with her, smile, laugh, and have a good time.

I'd suggest going for a hug at the end (depending on how it goes, of course). A kiss after a first/lunch date may come across as a little too pushy.
This is great

I know you said not to follow PUA advice, but what about light kino during lunch?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships