Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 08:46 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckG2008 View Post
That almost makes no sense to me, though, in this age of feminism and women's empowerment (which I'm not necessarily opposed to). If women want so bad to be treated exactly like men, then why do they need someone to protect them? Equal rights implies equal treatment. I'm all for treating women with respect and kindness, but it's like you're spitting in my face when you say that I can't protect you 'cause I'm short. Like, why should that even be an issue in this modern age?
Wanting equal rights is not the same thing as wanting to be treated like men. Just because a group wants equal rights does not mean that they then want to become something else. Wanting to be recognized by the government as a citizen with equal rights does not mean that a woman now wants to be treated like a man in her love life. Most people want to be treated like someone special - that goes for men and women. And wanting to feel protected has nothing to do with equal rights. Some women want to feel protected - some don't. You can't make every woman change so that she is attracted to you. The reason that love is so special is because it takes the right two people to feel it together. The right person will love you for you - no matter if you are short, fat, thin, bald, etc. All this - "women should like short men," "men should like heavy women," "women should give me a chance even if they don't want to" crap is just crap. Do you really want to be with someone who feels like they are being forced into being attracted to you? Like I said, I've been extremely attracted to some shorter guys. They didn't make a big deal out of their height - they just were who they were.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:12 PM

592 posts, read 461,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Wanting equal rights is not the same thing as wanting to be treated like men. Just because a group wants equal rights does not mean that they then want to become something else. Wanting to be recognized by the government as a citizen with equal rights does not mean that a woman now wants to be treated like a man in her love life. Most people want to be treated like someone special - that goes for men and women. And wanting to feel protected has nothing to do with equal rights. Some women want to feel protected - some don't. You can't make every woman change so that she is attracted to you. The reason that love is so special is because it takes the right two people to feel it together. The right person will love you for you - no matter if you are short, fat, thin, bald, etc. All this - "women should like short men," "men should like heavy women," "women should give me a chance even if they don't want to" crap is just crap. Do you really want to be with someone who feels like they are being forced into being attracted to you? Like I said, I've been extremely attracted to some shorter guys. They didn't make a big deal out of their height - they just were who they were.
Look, all I'm saying is that I keep hearing all this "fat acceptance" stuff ad nauseum from the popular media, from female friends, etc., and I'm not saying that overweight people don't deserve to be accepted, but you NEVER hear anybody speaking up on behalf of short men, calling for an end to discrimination against them. And of course I don't believe that EVERY woman should be attracted to short men, that's ridiculous! But I gotta say that it really p*sses me off when short women go around dissing us short men and leaving us with very little in the way of possible female mates, you know?

Old 02-20-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckG2008 View Post
Ok well thanks for your imput. Still waiting for people with more constructive responses . . .
Like what? You can't force people to be attracted to you if they're not. The point is to find someone that is attracted to you and disregard the rest. I'm not sure what "constructive" response you are looking for.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:29 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,637,813 times
What's worse = being a short man.

There are so many overweight and obese men and women in the US that it's not that hard for them to find partners. However, traditional notions of masculinity relating to height still prevail so men of short stature continue to have a harder time.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:58 PM

368 posts, read 577,498 times
I'm 5'5 dude , it's not that bad once you learn to accept that there's nothing you can do about it. I've dated a lot of women despite my height btw, mostly ranging from 5'3 to 5'5 though.

As to answer your question though, being short is worse than being fat, because your weight is something that can be changed, while your height can't.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:57 AM

499 posts, read 756,570 times
Women know exactly how important being tall is for a man, so many of them are sticking their kids with drugs to make sure they don't end up being short men as adults.

Silly people trying to make their kids taller - YouTube

Last edited by Walter002; 02-21-2013 at 03:14 AM..

Old 02-21-2013, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
What's worse = being a short man.

There are so many overweight and obese men and women in the US that it's not that hard for them to find partners. However, traditional notions of masculinity relating to height still prevail so men of short stature continue to have a harder time.
You make a great point, Tony, about there being tons of overweight people in the country, thus making it fairly easy for overweight people period to find mates. There are, indeed, many overweight men (and many average weight men as well) who are more than happy to form lasting relationships with overweight women. To me, it just seems like there is not that connection at all between us short men and the short women. I don't know if that makes any sense or not LOL. Because, you know, short women, average height women and tall women all want tall men, so theoretically, it's like a lose-lose-lose situation! Of course, I realize there are quite a few exceptions to such a rule.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaquille View Post
I'm 5'5 dude , it's not that bad once you learn to accept that there's nothing you can do about it. I've dated a lot of women despite my height btw, mostly ranging from 5'3 to 5'5 though.

As to answer your question though, being short is worse than being fat, because your weight is something that can be changed, while your height can't.
Hey thanks man! I suppose I am too uptight about it sometimes, but it's really hard not to be when you see tall slobs getting and holding on to women so much easier than yourself! For me, though, the fact that I can't change it is precisely what scares me! Like, this is only gonna get worse as I get older; the torrent of mental pictures flooding into my head is deafening (and scary) haha.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:09 AM

Oh, I see. By constructive responses - you meant people who would tell you that being short is worse than being fat. Okay. Now I get it.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:26 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,802,378 times
I would think it's worse being short. It's hard, but most people can change their weight. I say most because I realize with some medical conditions, it could be extremely hard. And if it were so easy to lose weight, I really think there wouldn't be very many overweight people (I don't think most overweight people "want" to be overweight).

But for most people, you can change your weight though diet and exercise (even if it's a rough battle). You can't change your height very easily (it takes surgery if you want to go that route). So if you are short, you are almost always stuck with it. If you are overweight, there is always hope that you can change it.

That said, I think it's rough for both groups of people--but you know, everyone can think of an excuse or problem that makes dating difficult. We all just have different problems
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships