Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 06:53 PM

223 posts, read 434,579 times

Advertisements

I'm so sorry for you. Things will get better soon.

{{hugs}}
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 07:03 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,138,779 times
Go to the bar and party and get you a f buddy. Actually, you should have had one lined up already.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:56 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
Find things to keep you busy. That is what I did. I spent a lot of time on the road. Running up and down the highway helped me. After the first couple of weeks it gets better and better. Actually it becomes a huge relief.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:16 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,173,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankywithakeyboard View Post
How do you make it through those first days after your spouse/SO has left? I'm talking about separation leading to divorce. My husband is leaving in two days. Any words of wisdom or tips?
I am so sorry, this is one of the hardest things you will have to face..

I do not know you personally, so I will state my opinion based on personal experience…

For me? It did not hit until the second month after we separated…
I try to look back ( coming up on 8 years ago) to recall the first few days and I honestly can say even though I knew he was gone?

I still had the habit of looking out the front window to see if he was home and looked for his truck..I could not sleep, eat, function, I felt like a robot and just going through the motions for our son…

What helped me most was resorting to a habit that I had developed as a teen…Writing..I would write down all of my feelings for that particular day, it was not addressed to anyone it was for me alone..
Needless to state I went through a lot of paper..
Keeping my feelings documented helped me keep perspective and not really lose it..

Keep the same routine, I found keeping some consistency during this time helpful, that in even such turmoil I still had control over me..

I RELIED heavily on my family and good friends…Having a good support system does have a big impact on one’s emotional health..in the sense that one feels so out of control and there life has just been turned upside down.

Fell what you need to “feel”, understand that you will be going on many emotional roller coasters, you may find that some days are better than others and try and have “hope” this is most important…
Know that while this is a “Dark time” it will pass, and know that someday soon you will be okay..
I wish you the best..
DR74

Old 02-24-2013, 12:33 AM

659 posts, read 899,081 times
I cleaned the house like a crazy person. Moved furniture around in every room to make things look (and feel) as different as possible. I did everything possible not to be alone in the house in the beginning. I even considering moving early on, because I didn't think I could ever stay in the home we shared together, but eventually it began to feel like "my" home instead of "ours".

It sucks and I think each person deals with it differently. The first few weeks seem like a blur looking back. Like I wasn't really there, just watching from the outside. Whatever happens, you will get through it.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:46 AM

19,429 posts, read 15,240,283 times
Lots of good advice here; couldn't quote everything.

Here are my agreements/comments:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
say your peace, forgive, forget, and walk away..
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Sounds kinda silly but I went around throwing small items he had given me into the trash. ( )
One boyfriend had given me something that supposedly held a lot of meaning between us, as I was trying to stand by him during his time of trouble, even though we had actually broken up. After some further less-than-favorable action on his part, I mailed back this item in an envelope without any note or explanation. My meaning was obvious, and it was very cathartic and symbolic in my distancing myself from him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
You need to experience the emotions. I believe distractions (like busying yourself) just delay it. Instead allow yourself to cry and feel the pain. Acknowledge that it's happening and come to terms with it.

Be reasonable and realize that life goes on, and what you're feeling won't last. You will get over it and meet other people and be happy again.

Crying and experiencing it is what you need to do before you get to that point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
It is ok to give yourself time to cry and feel miserable. You will feel badly that is normal. But, give yourself a time limit.
You can go on, it is never easy, but it is totally possible. My best to you. JanND
I strongly believe in this. It seems that people try to help us numb ourselves to get through situations like this. I think that's the worst thing you can do. You have to feel it, experience it before you can start healing from it. During my first "real" breakup as a teen, I tried to do anything, take anything to try to escape the pain. It just doesn't work, and it's not doing you any good. I think it just prolongs the pain.

[quote=SD4020;28391770]After the first couple of weeks it gets better and better. Actually it becomes a huge relief.[/quote]

Everyone's situation is different, but after my last breakup, in the end, the relief I felt outweighed just about everything else. Again, I don't know your situation, but hopefully you'll find some good in it in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr74 View Post
What helped me most was resorting to a habit that I had developed as a teen…Writing..I would write down all of my feelings for that particular day, it was not addressed to anyone it was for me alone..
Needless to state I went through a lot of paper..
Keeping my feelings documented helped me keep perspective and not really lose it..

Fell what you need to “feel”, understand that you will be going on many emotional roller coasters, you may find that some days are better than others and try and have “hope” this is most important…
Know that while this is a “Dark time” it will pass, and know that someday soon you will be okay..
I wish you the best..
DR74
We've all heard the advice about writing something down to help purge it from ourselves. I always took it with a grain of salt. But there was a situation I had with a family member where, if I had actually voiced my feelings out loud, it would have made things much worse. So I wrote down my feelings in a letter as if I were going to send it to this family member. I never did send it, but it really did help A LOT -- I was surprised at how much -- and I have since shredded it.

I wish the OP well.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:08 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
Life will get better, in time. A lot of that comes when you decide to make it happen.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:50 AM

426 posts, read 558,855 times
Believe in yourself, set a direction and pray- he listens he really does.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:43 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,019,987 times
My husband walked out in October, and I took a slightly different path. My sister, who has been my cornerstone and go-to person through this, came to help me me. We lived in NC and our entire families were in MI or OH. It was just my son and I.

My sister let me grieve for 2 days. I had random rounds of crying, sleeplessness and was overwhelmed. I had to care for my infant son while dealing with this. My sister kept my head on straight, and she was the voice of reason when I could not reason. Having a trusted friend or relative is your saving grace.

I didn't stay in the house in NC. My sister organized a move home, and we got everything packed and loaded into a truck within a week's time. My husband hadn't gotten all of his stuff out yet, so I had to pack around his items and his occasional 'drop ins' to pick something up. The change was needed - I can only imagine the emotional roller coaster I would be on now had I stayed in the house we shared since I was in NC all alone with very few friends.

Once I got back to MI, the grief turned to anger. Unfortunately for me, I have to deal with him for another 17 yrs, there is no clean break. I spent much of the time preparing for our court battles, finding a new job, looking for a new home and spending every possible minute with my incredible son. It has taken almost 4 months for me to get a job, but the one on one time with my growing son has been some of the best therapy for me. It has truly made me a stronger person, yet, brought laughter, smiles and great times for me.

I also create a dummy email account, something I can write to and express how I feel toward him. The "send" button is a very big part of this process. I know these are things he'll never see, but it helps.

I am approaching the 6 month mark of us splitting, and I am still dealing with emotions associated with it only because we still have to have contact. His demonstrated immaturity and poor decision making over this time, plus his lack of desire to be the parent he promised me he'd be when I first found out I was expecting. I am still going through a range of emotions, and it is healthy. But, my son and my lives are moving onward and upward, and we are working on finding a new normal. Keeping a positive outlook has been key to making all this work for us, and I am a better person and parent for doing so.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:26 AM

774 posts, read 2,601,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankywithakeyboard View Post
How do you make it through those first days after your spouse/SO has left? I'm talking about separation leading to divorce. My husband is leaving in two days. Any words of wisdom or tips?

I've gone down this road a couple of times. While I've never been married I have had some long term relationships end. One by me the other by her.

What I can tell you is this.. Today, Right now.. Make a list of things you like to do. Hobbies, interests, places you haven't been in a while. These are the things you are going to start doing the day he leaves.

The morning he is set to leave you need to be the first one out of the house. Get up early, take a shower, put on something nice and get out of the house before he does. Let him be the one seeing YOU leave. Be nice and happy when you leave... It's important to stay strong even if it's a total BS fake.

Call a couple of your friends and get together for drinks over breakfast and plan the day together. Word of caution. Some friends can be real downers or drama queens (this goes for guys as well). You know which of your friends are like this and you want to avoid them for awhile. Crying on a shoulder isn't gonna help.

Whip out you list and get started doing things. The key is to stay busy. SO often people lose themselves in a relationship and stop doing the things they love. Now is the time to get your life back.

Surround yourself with friends and people you care about. You'll find that this kind of positive behavior will attract other like minded people and you might find yourself with a date if you're not careful...

On that note... If you have an old BF or someone that you know has some interest you might want to consider giving him a call.. But it's important that you find yourself first....

These things suck and the last thing you want to hear is " It'll get better with time". But the truth is it really will get better. Ask yourself this.. Will any of this truly matter in a year. IF the answer is no then smile and focus on getting there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships