Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 07:55 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,778,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
you can actually, do him the best favor of his life...tell him you will date him,, but you get to pick the activity- go jogging or running..
Just an update here:

I decided to bite the bullet and give my guy a chance. It's amazing what 5 years, some time together, and, and a healthy motivation to lose weight/be healthy will do. We're going strong together as a couple, and we're exercising together .

Thanks for the word of advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 08:20 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
Unless you have a low sex drive or no sex drive, I don't see how people do this.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:51 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,778,414 times
I agree.

For me, I agree with some of the other posters who stated that at times isn't always instantaneous, but can/could develop over time.

Last edited by erjunkee; 07-02-2013 at 01:02 PM..

Old 07-02-2013, 01:42 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,957,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Unless you have a low sex drive or no sex drive, I don't see how people do this.
I wonder what happens when couples get older. As everyone ages, they become less attractive. Is everyone who demanded that instant spark and "oh my god, so-and-so is so hot I must date them!" divorcing their less attractive older s/o and upgrading after 10-20 years? Are they 'blinded by love?' I doubt it... and I think this phenonmenom of demanding lightning in a bottle is why the divorce rate is so high. The reality is that physical appearance trumps all.

All but one of my relationships required a build up of interest from the person I dated. I'm not what is considered attractive. Hence, the average... The one relationship I had that didn't have a slow getting to know her (3-ish months) was the worst relationship I had. So much for the instant attraction theory IMO. but, that is just IMO.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:01 PM

2,386 posts, read 3,268,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elained10 View Post
I can date someone I'm not physically attracted to if I'm emotionally and intellectually attracted to him I'm fine, However I can not date anyone I'm attracted to physically without that emotional connection it doesn't work for me.

If you want to give it a shot I say go for it

What I posted before still stands for me 100%.........Good luck with your new relationship

Old 07-02-2013, 03:39 PM

30,995 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elained10 View Post
What I posted before still stands for me 100%.........Good luck with your new relationship
Wow, How open minded of you

On the flip side could you be with someone that did not find you attractive?

Old 07-02-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
I wonder what happens when couples get older. As everyone ages, they become less attractive. Is everyone who demanded that instant spark and "oh my god, so-and-so is so hot I must date them!" divorcing their less attractive older s/o and upgrading after 10-20 years? Are they 'blinded by love?' I doubt it... and I think this phenonmenom of demanding lightning in a bottle is why the divorce rate is so high. The reality is that physical appearance trumps all.

All but one of my relationships required a build up of interest from the person I dated. I'm not what is considered attractive. Hence, the average... The one relationship I had that didn't have a slow getting to know her (3-ish months) was the worst relationship I had. So much for the instant attraction theory IMO. but, that is just IMO.
I bet you were physically attracted to them though.

As for couples getting older, I think they've developed an emotional connection as well as their physical connection, and this is powerful and sustaining. More often than not, couples lose their emotional connection before their physical connection. Both are needed for a relationship to be happy and sustained indefinitely.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:01 PM

2,386 posts, read 3,268,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Wow, How open minded of you

On the flip side could you be with someone that did not find you attractive?

Looks fade with time however if a person stimulates me mentally and emotionally thats more important. Looks come second.

"On the flip side could you be with someone that did not find you attractive?"

No I could not. In my experience men are very visual creatures.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:02 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,957,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I bet you were physically attracted to them though.

As for couples getting older, I think they've developed an emotional connection as well as their physical connection, and this is powerful and sustaining. More often than not, couples lose their emotional connection before their physical connection. Both are needed for a relationship to be happy and sustained indefinitely.
Bolded: Initially, for about half of them, not exactly. Not that they were unattractive, but some of them have absolutely been considered average looking at best. But Over time I came to know them, and we developed a mutual interest in each other due to...... personality and common interests.

Basically, all but two of my relationships began as friends.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
Bolded: Initially, for about half of them, not exactly. Not that they were unattractive, but some of them have absolutely been considered average looking at best. But Over time I came to know them, and we developed a mutual interest in each other due to...... personality and common interests.

Basically, all but two of my relationships began as friends.
There's nothing wrong with average. Average means that they are physically attractive to some degree. Being somewhat physically attracted to someone is different than not being physically attracted to them at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships