Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 12:56 AM

102 posts, read 255,093 times

Advertisements

lifting weights and reading the bible helps me!
"The Lord is close to the broken-hearted" ..and my oh my is that EVER true...this is the greatest time to start a relationship with him, when you feel like you've lost it all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 01:38 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,378,966 times
When this happened to me I was in bed in the fetal position for 3 days. It was the only way the pain in the pit of my stomach would go away. When I would get up, the pain would come back. I also recommend drinking a little every night. Not too much, just enough to get you in a happy mood. I have never been a drinker, but I found that in this case, it really helped.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:45 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,266,220 times
This might sound bad, but when I was given a short " I am breaking up with you" phone call after a 13 year relationship, I took off for the rest of the week and went south to a race event a friend was putting on. Why? Because it was something I loved to do and had put on the back burner (no, i did not bring it up with her in anyway, i just did it because i wanted to spend time with her when we were not working). So what did i do besides that? I have my new allout 6 second racecar project, I am doing a 1938 model vehicle that i will give to my Dad, and I meet Friday with the casting foundry on a new racecar part I designed and will be marketing/selling. Yes, maybe in a way i am running from the hurt, but i stay busy. And yes, time heals for the most part. And yes, i had that couldn't sleep for days, to look at food just made my stomich get even more twisted up feeling, and basicly looked like i was walking dead (as a buddy told me) for a couple months.
But I admit, I do in many ways miss the relationship, the closeness we had, but I know it will never be that way gain with her, so I do my best to keep moving on. Hang in there, it'll get better.
This is going to sound really bad, but it's honest, I had forgotten how beautiful women in general are! Yep, I'm getting used to looking again! (No, when I was with my love, I didn't look on purpose because I didn't need to).

Old 03-26-2009, 04:47 AM

5,802 posts, read 11,835,435 times
look at food just made my stomich get even more twisted up feeling

That's the good side of it : love woes are very good for slimming down!

Old 03-28-2009, 06:59 PM

12 posts, read 19,348 times
In three months I have lost 25 pounds. I just wish I felt better...

Old 07-14-2010, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,764 times
I'm going through it right now. He happen to leave me shortly after I lost my job. Without the 2 things that was giving me most of the routines I based my life on, I spent the first week not doing much but crying, sleeping and feeling hopeless. I'm still having a very hard time, but 2 things are helping me: 1) getting in touch with those who I consider real friends and getting out of my house with them for healthy activities (I walk); and 2) think about the things that wasn't working for me about the relationship to accept the fact that it wasn't meant to be. As I said, I'm still having a hard time, so if other people have more suggestions, please share.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:10 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,378,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiker726 View Post
I'm going through it right now. He happen to leave me shortly after I lost my job. Without the 2 things that was giving me most of the routines I based my life on, I spent the first week not doing much but crying, sleeping and feeling hopeless. I'm still having a very hard time, but 2 things are helping me: 1) getting in touch with those who I consider real friends and getting out of my house with them for healthy activities (I walk); and 2) think about the things that wasn't working for me about the relationship to accept the fact that it wasn't meant to be. As I said, I'm still having a hard time, so if other people have more suggestions, please share.
If you're going to drink coffee, don't eat chocolate on the same day. It causes a bad chemical reaction the next day.

Maybe it's just me, but you might want to look into it for yourself.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,678 times
Hi all, came across this post as a result of my own attempts to get over a long-distance break-up. Whilst all of those suggestions are amazing, I'm having even more trouble with the fact that the break-up is not limited to my ex but his parents (and his cousins) too it seems. I wrote a letter to his parents 2 weeks ago, and iwthin this time, my ex broke up with me and I haven't heard anything from them since... I literally lived at their place (my ex still lives with them) and they treated me like a daughter whilst I was in Canada...and now I feel like I need to prove something to them - I feel like I need to prove to them that I didn't use him (and I didn't - he left me! I would've moved back to Canada after my uni finished just for him!) How do I deal with this?

Old 09-07-2010, 03:59 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,049,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adorable_1988 View Post
Hi all, came across this post as a result of my own attempts to get over a long-distance break-up. Whilst all of those suggestions are amazing, I'm having even more trouble with the fact that the break-up is not limited to my ex but his parents (and his cousins) too it seems. I wrote a letter to his parents 2 weeks ago, and iwthin this time, my ex broke up with me and I haven't heard anything from them since... I literally lived at their place (my ex still lives with them) and they treated me like a daughter whilst I was in Canada...and now I feel like I need to prove something to them - I feel like I need to prove to them that I didn't use him (and I didn't - he left me! I would've moved back to Canada after my uni finished just for him!) How do I deal with this?
They might feel they should stay out of it, but could be just as anxious to be in touch with you and reassure you -- ?

Do you feel close enough to his mom to give her a daughterly call?

Old 09-07-2010, 04:14 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,049,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrian12 View Post
get really drunk and burn all the pics you have and dump any clothes you got from the x and put them in the goodwill box sellthe concert tickets you bought the x for vallentines day, delete email addresses and phone numbers so you are not tempted to contact them
Quote:
Originally Posted by mourful_optimist View Post
Breakups suck. I literally went through 27 days of hell before he wanted me back...just last weekend. On day 1, I took immediate changes. I woke up before dawn and went to work early. For someone who's frequently late, that was a drastic change for me. I made sure I looked my best despite the puffy eyes. Put on a brave face and smile at everyone so they can't see through your pain (it's impossible to fool your friends obviously).

Go jogging at a park. Green settings will calm the mind. If you find yourself enraged, run harder and faster - works really well for me! I did hot yoga every day after work and that was soothing for the spirit. Not only did I feel cleansed and healthy, it relaxed me a lot and helped me sleep better at night.

I know that sick-to-the-stomach feeling...it sucks big time. Take a couple of deep breaths when you find your stomach churning, your mind empty, and your heart heavy as if being pulled to the bottom of the ocean. Stay away from anything that reminds you of them (music, food, movies, etc). Meeting new people is ok, but it becomes a vulnerability issue when they're the opposite sex.

I wouldn't talk about them when your friends are around - it will only make you analyze everything to death which essentially won't help since your friends are partial. I've learned not to discuss about the what if's and what went wrong's with my friends since that just negates the ex's image in the eyes of your good friends.

Clean often if you're a sloth like me. Distract yourself by picking up anything out of order. I put away my clothes and folded them meticulously - almost too perfectly - and I HATE folding laundry with a passion.

Cry as much as you need to, alone though. Write down your feelings. I emailed myself every day post breakup to let my inner feelings out. Reading back on those thoughts is a self-learning experience...you'll be surprised at how much you can discover about yourself. Even when your mood flunctuates, write them and don't hold anything back because you're the only one reading those words. Whether they are loving or hateful, sweet or bitter, only YOU will see those conveyed feelings.
These are all great ideas.... I'm bookmarking this

also, stay away from Facebook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships