Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ....
True Love 46 40.35%
1 Million Dollars 68 59.65%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 03:05 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,478,979 times

Advertisements

At this time in my life I would take the million dollars easily. I was married for 24 years, then divorced and I am not looking for true love, but the money would help me and my children to have a better life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 03:16 AM

884 posts, read 1,171,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
California is the last state I'd be with money. If I was in CA and came across a mill. I'd jet outta there to a tax-friendly state, pay cash for a decent home under $200k and after paying my debts place half a mill in stuff that would pay good interest and live off of that while looking for a new job in the new place.
I see you read my mind! This is what I'd do:

-pay off my parents' house, it's the least I can do since they helped to put me through college and let me live there for free after I turned 18 for over 3 years.
-I would probably give them some extra too for my brother's post-high school life (whatever that may be), and a little nest egg they can use to invest.
-I would take a chunk and travel the world for awhile, I'm not a super fancy traveler, I can have a great vacation somewhere between "five star resort" and "backpacking through Europe and staying in hostels" (probably closer to the second one)
-at that time I would also invest at least a few hundred thousand in "stuff that would pay good interest" as you say
-then move to a tax friendly state (at least one friendlier than where I currently live, CA) and purchase a "decent home under 200K"
-pay off my debts, which look like very small potatoes next to a million dollars!

I have a relationship that I'm happy with. I don't believe in soulmates/"true love"/whatnot since most everyone has multiple "true love" relationships and many people have multiple marriages...obviously there isn't just one true love out there for everyone.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:49 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,282,640 times
It's my experience that money is far more dependable.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:21 AM

633 posts, read 723,956 times
I swear there's a thread question like this that I answered when I was single and was searching for it to compare my answer then which I chose money, DUH. But now I am married guess what my answer is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I am SO cynical. While true love is a great concept and a great ideal, I do not believe it is attainable in my case, due to my very low income and lack of meaningful upside potential.

Women don't want men with dead-end menial jobs who are living at poverty level.
Don't be so cynical because I married a man with dead-end menial job and who is living at poverty level. But am so happy. He takes care of me, feeds me, and we get to ski (1 of his fave hobbies) once in awhile, etc. We are both resourceful so we get by in terms of entertainment, daily life. We also are both simple people.

For now, my husband's love is all I need and I have never been so happy and content with my life as I am now.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:57 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,925,052 times
Any thing easily gotten is easily lost .
Neither love nor money .
Wealth has to be protected from theives ,all kinds of them.
There is no peace in that.
What woman doesn't want a man with out a free ride ?
May be when I was a kid, but not now days .
Love is an illusion , a fantasy .
After reality hit's you in the face a few times you finally wake up , sometimes .
I' much rather have friendship than romance, and a moderate income than wealth .
And that's the way life has been for me the last several years and I love it .

Old 02-27-2013, 11:22 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,417 times
Love has always had unpractical and unrealistic strings attached to it. Mainly due to movies and books. Fantasies. At least money is real. Love is attainable, but most of us will never obtain a million dollars, no matter how hard we try. The bliss of love is not forever. And for anyway thinking that if they found a "true love", if you died, at some point, they are going to move on and love someone else. And there is nothing wrong with that. But to think someone is going to love you and only you for their entire lives, it's just not probable. I know people don't want to hear that, but it's the reality. Each time i've been in love, I thought that was it, but it's not. Life goes on. You meet other people.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:35 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,463,389 times
I have great memories of love, did that, am a better person for having been down that road. In the present, I could do a lot of good with that little mill to make a whole lot of loved ones lives better by making a few small investments and passing a good chunk of it on to them. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to use some of it to splurg, frugally, on myself for a bit as well. But mostly, I can think of a lot I could do with that money that would fill up my heart in ways beyond trying to fulfill some romantic hole that doesn't exist in my heart at this time.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:49 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,207 times
Easiest poll question to answer have ever seen. Can move the decimal point as many places as you wish, 10 mil, 100 mil, 1 bil, 10 billion, etc, and my answer would still be the same. Perhaps I am just an old sentimentalist, but my hands down, far and away choice is true love. Love is priceless, and simply has no price tag.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:57 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,142,025 times
I'd take the money. While it would be nice to have true love, my life ain't hurtin' without it. I'm a very simple girl and the million would last the rest of my life, and I'd be happy. With true love, there's the risk of your partner changing into someone different and having the whole thing end in divorce.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:05 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,305,849 times
Anyone who has ever really and truly loved and been loved, would not trade the love and loved one for a billion bucks--let alone a measley million.

Anyone who has not had the pleasure and reality of love-- would certainly take the money and run!

The Pickle remains an optimistic and romantic. I'd take the warm fuzzy stuff over the green back any old day!!

Last edited by picklejuice; 02-27-2013 at 12:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships