Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 08:33 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,802,221 times

Advertisements

Hello ladies,

A minute ago I was talking to my co worker who's a good friend about how my girlfriend made a comment today that I always have a way of making people smile and brightening up their day. This sparked a discussion somehow about how he thinks my girlfriend is seeing me more as a friend than a boyfriend despite the fact that we've been dating for 6 months now.

I'm not worried that she'll break up with me, but it definitely is a concept I'm curious about. Have any of you broken up with your boyfriend who you were dating for a decent amount of time because you felt they'd really be better suited as a friend? And I don't mean that junk where you have to break up with the poor guy and you know he'll take it like 30 kicks to the nuts so you say something like "I think we'd be better friends" just to minimize his tears.

Perhaps this will be a decent conversation or perhaps it'll put many of you to sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 08:38 PM

13,290 posts, read 15,264,049 times
I've broken up with a few girlfriends because we decided we'd be better as friends.

For the most part, we're all still friends.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:18 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,973,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Hello ladies,

A minute ago I was talking to my co worker who's a good friend about how my girlfriend made a comment today that I always have a way of making people smile and brightening up their day. This sparked a discussion somehow about how he thinks my girlfriend is seeing me more as a friend than a boyfriend despite the fact that we've been dating for 6 months now.

I'm not worried that she'll break up with me, but it definitely is a concept I'm curious about. Have any of you broken up with your boyfriend who you were dating for a decent amount of time because you felt they'd really be better suited as a friend? And I don't mean that junk where you have to break up with the poor guy and you know he'll take it like 30 kicks to the nuts so you say something like "I think we'd be better friends" just to minimize his tears.

Perhaps this will be a decent conversation or perhaps it'll put many of you to sleep.
Breaking up with a guy just because he would make a better friend? No.

I've broken up with guys who ended up being better friends, yes, but I left them for other reasons.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:51 PM

37,496 posts, read 45,805,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Hello ladies,

ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

Old 03-02-2013, 10:46 PM
J24

448 posts, read 861,923 times
Well generally if someone breaks up with someone for that reason, the dual reason is that they didn't have romantic feelings for the person. It's not *just* because someone thinks that their SO is better suited as a friend.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:53 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,755,727 times
I broke up with someone because I realize I always saw them as a friend, just couldn't get past that stage and into the romantic stage. But my last boyfriend was also a friend too, even though I saw him romantically.

Here's a tricky one. This guy I dated seems to just see me as a friend even though he also found me attractive. Guess I wasn't his type. More to romance than physical attraction? Then what about when you're just friends with someone because you weren't physically attracted to them?

Old 03-03-2013, 12:22 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,575,765 times
90% of guys will still have sex with a girl that they have no romantic interest in if they find them attractive.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:34 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,755,727 times
What defines romantic interest then?

Old 03-03-2013, 04:14 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,875,847 times
Yes. I dated a wonderful guy but we had too many differences to really work as a couple. We still chat periodically and he is a Facebook friend.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:37 AM

19,639 posts, read 20,133,913 times
I'm kind of in a situation like that...Got together w/ someone who was already a friend. There were a couple sparks in the beginning, but now, not so much....He, on the other hand, wants to marry me. FML lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships