Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 08:23 PM

27 posts, read 54,813 times

Advertisements

For example I know I want to get married and have kids. If my SO says she doesn't want to get married or have kids of her own (she actually wants to adopt) is it understandable that I end the relationship or is there a chance she might change her mind?

I am 26 she is 24.

The reason she would rather adopt than have kids of her own is I think because she has so many health issues that she thinks she might pass them on and even says in a joking way that she doesnt know how she's managed so far.

Some of her health problems include migraines, depression, kidney pain, asthma like attacks (not frequent), ulcers, and I think her fear is dying and leaving her kids w/o a mom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 08:29 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin1986 View Post
For example I know I want to get married and have kids. If my SO says she doesn't want to get married or have kids of her own (she actually wants to adopt) is it understandable that I end the relationship or is there a chance she might change her mind?
There's a chance.

I wouldn't bet on that chance

My last two long-term relationships have ended because my GF's have wanted to settle down, buy houses, have kids...not things on my list to do.

Last edited by filihok; 03-05-2013 at 08:50 PM..

Old 03-05-2013, 08:40 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
Yes, yes you do.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:42 PM

470 posts, read 1,162,586 times
There are some things that can be looked past or worked around, this is not one of them..I concur with the prior statements...

Old 03-05-2013, 08:47 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,466,473 times
It sounds like you are both clear on what you want, and your goals do not match. So, yes, it's probably time to move on and find someone with the same goals as yours (which are far more common than her goals).

Old 03-05-2013, 08:49 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,102,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerwoodsyall View Post
There are some things that can be looked past or worked around, this is not one of them..I concur with the prior statements...
I agree.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:08 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
Quote:
The reason she would rather adopt than have kids of her own is I think because she has so many health issues that she thinks she might pass them on and even says in a joking way that she doesnt know how she's managed so far.

Some of her health problems include migraines, depression, kidney pain, asthma like attacks (not frequent), ulcers, and I think her fear is dying and leaving her kids w/o a mom.
She has very valid reasons for her preference for adoption. Smart lady. She's certainly not saying no to parenthood. But if you simply must have your own bio child, then it would be best for you (and her) to continue looking for a different partner.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:27 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:

I am 26 she is 24.

Have not read any of the responses on this thread yet, but in response to the OP,

Many people in their early twenties do have ideas about having families that change as they grow older, but many do not. And some people don't really know what they want at any age, and spend a lifetime flipflopping and floundering.

It is never a good idea to enter into a relationship hoping the other person will change on some point of incompatibility. And if you take her at face value that she doesn't want to get married/be a parent to biological kids and you do, you are incompatible. Your visions of the future don't mesh. Plain and simple. It's tricky to say take her at face value, since you're both young, and thoughts on life can change...but, honestly, you don't have any choice but to take her at face value. You really can't build a future with somebody who's idea of the future is incompatible with yours and vice versa.

A past relationship of mine ended, in part, because of a perception that what we wanted out of life didn't match (true, but not in the ways he thought)...he labeled me as the marriage type, and determined that he was not, five years in (even though, obviously, five years in, it was pretty evident that I wasn't expecting marriage, either...if it was gonna happen, it would have happened by then, and I knew that). I would bet, dollars to donuts, however, that he gets married LONNNG before I ever do, cohabits again long before I ever do, etc. Not so much wired to be on his own, that one. There were some definite incompatibilities, alright...just not the ones he thought.

Last edited by TabulaRasa; 03-05-2013 at 11:36 PM..

Old 03-06-2013, 01:50 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:

I am 26 she is 24.

Yeah, sorry.
You're doing both of yourselves a disservice by continuing this relationship.
Kids or not kids is a HUGE issue that rarely changes.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:57 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
I would say as unfortunate as it is you should break up and move on. Currently you both have very different goals for your life and it does not sound like your goals will become the same anytime soon. She is smart for thinking about health issues she "could" pass on to a child however, that is not a guarantee it will actually happen with a biological child. At any rate you both sound like you currently are set on how you want your future to be and both quite mature about your relationship as well and what will be the best for both of you in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships