Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 11:57 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I think it's interesting people are being so lenient on this guy, here. We had a thread recently in which the question came up of lying about one's age on dating sites, and people were very harsh. I don't know why lying about one thing would be viewed as ok, while lying about age would be viewed as not ok. The way online dating works, it tends to weed a lot of good candidates out. People set their preference settings for a certain age-range, for example, so people who fall just outside that range don't even make it onto someone's radar. So some people may fudge a little on their age to work around that limitation. As long as they come clean with their "dates" when they meet, why shouldn't that be fair game, if lying about income is considered fair? Online dating is such an artificial contrivance, that by its nature skews the process, people will do whatever they have to do to get it to work for them.
I agree with you. Lying on your profile isn't okay. If he didn't want to be judged based on income then he should have left it off. I guess people think it's okay to lie about their age, height, weight, income, etc. because surely the other person will be so blown away by their wonderful personality they'll be happy to overlook you are older, shorter, fatter, and poorer than how you represented yourself. Yeah right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 11:57 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I wish more men would listen to this.
We care about who they are, not what they have.
This is the forum where the guys believe that most women are gold-diggers, and that if a guy is average-looking, he'll need to be making a ton of money in order to attract women. The above post is too reality-based to be believed by about 40-50% of our members.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:00 PM

39,200 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
I think it's interesting people are being so lenient on this guy, here. We had a thread recently in which the question came up of lying about one's age on dating sites, and people were very harsh. I don't know why lying about one thing would be viewed as ok, while lying about age would be viewed as not ok. The way online dating works, it tends to weed a lot of good candidates out. People set their preference settings for a certain age-range, for example, so people who fall just outside that range don't even make it onto someone's radar. So some people may fudge a little on their age to work around that limitation. As long as they come clean with their "dates" when they meet, why shouldn't that be fair game, if lying about income is considered fair? Online dating is such an artificial contrivance, that by its nature skews the process, people will do whatever they have to do to get it to work for them.
You know I have been thinking about this. I remember the thread you are talking about and people basically tear the poster apart because she ADMITS that she lied about her age.

There are certainly double standard when it comes to online dating.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:01 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I agree with you. Lying on your profile isn't okay. If he didn't want to be judged based on income then he should have left it off. I guess people think it's okay to lie about their age, height, weight, income, etc. because surely the other person will be so blown away by their wonderful personality they'll be happy to overlook you are older, shorter, fatter, and poorer than how you represented yourself. Yeah right.
Leaving the income question blank is always an option, and an honest one. It doesn't necessarily mean the person is of modest means. Some men who make a lot of money leave it blank, because they don't want women going for them just for their money. There really is no reason to lie about income on a dating site.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:08 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
This is the forum where the guys believe that most women are gold-diggers, and that if a guy is average-looking, he'll need to be making a ton of money in order to attract women. The above post is too reality-based to be believed by about 40-50% of our members.
You should have seen the rest of the post that I decided to delete before posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
You know I have been thinking about this. I remember the thread you are talking about and people basically tear the poster apart because she ADMITS that she lied about her age.

There are certainly double standard when it comes to online dating.
I didn't see that thread, but it's probably because she lied.
Based on a lot of what I see here, women are all evil; men can do no wrong.

Certainly not everyone, but certainly a lot of the young men who post on here.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:12 PM

365 posts, read 644,598 times
You better wait to his 3rd contact. You might find out he is actually 18 and makes 7.25/hr

Old 03-07-2013, 12:13 PM

39,200 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
You should have seen the rest of the post that I decided to delete before posting.

I didn't see that thread, but it's probably because she lied.
Based on a lot of what I see here, women are all evil; men can do no wrong.

Certainly not everyone, but certainly a lot of the young men who post on here.
excellent point.
also, I've noticed that women are not women's great support.
men, on the other hand, stick together for whatever they believe.

There are always exceptions to the rules, but above statement has been my observation.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:24 PM

4,829 posts, read 4,281,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
excellent point.
also, I've noticed that women are not women's great support.
men, on the other hand, stick together for whatever they believe.

There are always exceptions to the rules, but above statement has been my observation.
It's like what people say. When you are happy, you likely aren't talking about how happy you are. If you are in a lul, you are more likely to talk about what's going on in your life.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:51 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,715,739 times
Quote:
I wish more men would listen to this.
We care about who they are, not what they have.
Pure lies.

I've lived on this planet long enough to know that women want men for their MONEY, while men want women for their LOOKS.

You and some of the women on here might be an exception but most women get with men who make more money than they do.

*waits for all the women who say they're independent and don't need a man's money*

Don't think that's a bad thing, there's nothing wrong with a woman who wants a man to provide a level of security and comfort for her, just don't lie and say you don't care about a man's money at all.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:54 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,196,428 times
Not surprising, the 3 things you can be sure men will always lie about are

How much they make
The amount of women they've slept with
How big thier penis is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships