Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 04:08 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,173,486 times

Advertisements

I might have an issue with men named Sheldon.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 04:19 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,567,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Wondering if anyone has ever possibly not wanted to date a person due to their name? I may have posted on this before, but I am not quite sure.
Nope. I haven't had any particularly bad experiences with anyone, so I wouldn't mind if they had the same name as someone from my past. There are some names that just turn me off in general, but not because I've had any bad experiences with guys with those names.

On a different note, I went out with a guy in part because he had the same name as another guy who I'm really into. It didn't work out though because other than the name, he couldn't compare to him. lol

Old 03-07-2013, 04:20 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,290,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Nope. I haven't had any particularly bad experiences with anyone, so I wouldn't mind if they had the same name as someone from my past. There are some names that just turn me off in general, but not because I've had any bad experiences with guys with those names.

On a different note, I went out with a guy in part because he had the same name as another guy who I'm really into. It didn't work out though because other than the name, he couldn't compare to him. lol
That's funny...lol

Great that you haven't had any bad experiences!

Old 03-07-2013, 04:33 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,567,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
My ex-uncle used to beat my aunt and cousins horribly and he was a Mike.

My really good friends ex-bf was a Mike and he stalked her, killed her cat, stole a bunch of her stuff and threatened her family. She went through nearly 2 years of dealing with cops, court and judges to get restraining orders and to get him convicted. It's a small town so she was thinking about moving out of state once her disability claim gets figured out.

I just hear Mike and get agitated.
What??? If anyone ever hurt my cat, we'd have serious, SERIOUS problems.

I had a semi-unpleasant experience with a Mike/Michael, but not enough to turn me off of the name. I like it. It's a classic. My ex has a foreign name so it's unlikely that I'll end up dating anyone else with that name anyway. I guess I was most recently emotionally scarred by a Matt, but once again, I still like the name. It's cute.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:14 PM

30,740 posts, read 21,872,773 times
Name associations can almost be like smells; They can bring you back to another time. sometimes it's high school and sometimes its earlier.

Nicole is one that I have a positive association with. Never met a Nicole that I didn't like. Bertha, not so much

Old 03-07-2013, 05:34 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,875,114 times
Bertha was the name of my brother's jacket in high school so that's what that reminds me of.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:30 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,290,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Bertha was the name of my brother's jacket in high school so that's what that reminds me of.
That gave me a giggle....

Old 03-07-2013, 06:30 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,800,678 times
Never really had this problem. I have a thing for dating Ashley's, although my current girlfriend is not named Ashley.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:29 PM
Cow

153 posts, read 202,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I forgot to mention this but about a year ago I was on POF and talking to what seemed like a decent man. We had a lot in common and made plans to meet until we exchanged first names. Turns out a woman he hates AND and ex-girlfriend he hates (who screwed him over)have my same first name and he told me that was a deal breaker.
So you find it normal that you won't date another guy named Dave but when someone else does the same thing to you because of your name, it's weird? Really?

Old 03-07-2013, 08:21 PM

30 posts, read 49,093 times
Quote:
Ever have a problem dating someone if they have the same name as an ex?
It's really only a problem when they all have DIFFERENT names...if they all have the SAME name, you'll never get in trouble screaming out the last one's name in bed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships