Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 02:34 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
Some people say there's rank grades and some people don't. If there wasn't rank grades, people wouldn't react like the OP. I've been hit on by women that I didn't want to talk to me, but I'm never going to bury them for taking a chance. You really don't get anywhere in life, pumping your ego up while crushing someone elses. You can be polite, yet still get your point across.
THIS^^^^^

You never know where attraction will strike, imho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 02:39 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
Not to sound conceited, but if you're overweight and homely looking, shouldn't you seek out a partner that is in the same boat? I'm glad the encounter wasn't terribly awkward (she didn't try to sit in my lap or anything and yes, drunk girls have attempted to do so before), but she was definitely invading my personal space when I was hanging out with my friends last weekend. And I didn't want to rude, but it did take her a while to pick up on my obvious non-verbal signals of annoyance/discomfort.

Isn't it a person's social responsibility to know where they stand and to not be weird when interacting with others? This goes for guys as well (actually it probably applies more to them as they are usually more aggressive in their approach of the opposite sex). First world problems suck.
It is quite possible that some people feel the same way and you don't realize it. (or someone in a similar situation)

I really do not judge any one person as better than another, so I will talk to anyone, or approach anyone. This is not to be in a 'pick up' kind of way, of course, because I am with someone.

It does not matter who approaches me. I will not look at them and think I am too good to talk to them. I will converse with them for however long the conversation takes us, and part ways. What does it hurt?

Truthfully, I will probably not approach someone with that pretentious, "I am better than you" kind of look on their face. You can spot the type from a million miles away, and unfortunately, I think these people are missing out on a lot in their lives.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:40 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,305,849 times
Not everyone has a clear vision of what they really look like.

It is especially true if mom, dad, grandparents, aunts and uncles, etc.,etc... have always been super complimentary and have ignored any obvious flaws.

Another possibility is that because of a good personality, they have in the past been successful at catching folks outside of what would normally be considered their limited league. It happens with both male and female: guy is extra funny, or girl is extra confident, and possesses a sexiness that goes beyond looks/ face, boob, and butt.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:41 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,427,518 times
Yes it happens sometimes. I'm never rude. I just say "No thank you". Most respond in a A-hole manner and I just ignore them.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:56 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,283,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What does this have to do with what I posted??
Meant to quote JetJockey.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:04 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,283,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Not everyone has a clear vision of what they really look like.

It is especially true if mom, dad, grandparents, aunts and uncles, etc.,etc... have always been super complimentary and have ignored any obvious flaws.

Another possibility is that because of a good personality, they have in the past been successful at catching folks outside of what would normally be considered their limited league. It happens with both male and female: guy is extra funny, or girl is extra confident, and possesses a sexiness that goes beyond looks/ face, boob, and butt.
EXACTLY!! It's the attraction you can pick up that you can't pick up from online. Attraction is much more than a pretty face or an attractive body. Someone who has a pretty face or body has heard that same statement their entire lives. How often do they hear that they are funny, caring, and fun to be around? They don't hear that as often, because someone is too fixated on the physical.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:34 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,426,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
THIS^^^^^

You never know where attraction will strike, imho.
This is true to an extent. Girl I'm seeing casually right now, breaks several of my so called "dealbreakers" that I've posted on this very forum!

Old 03-07-2013, 03:55 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,399,244 times
Have you ever been approached by someone and wondered what were they were thinking?

Only in regards to when they do it when (I think) it's pretty obvious I'm with someone...like my husband.

Smartphones can be a saving grace at bars/lounges/restaurants.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:06 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
Not to sound conceited, but if you're overweight and homely looking, shouldn't you seek out a partner that is in the same boat?
Wow, what an ignorant thing to say. People are going to be attracted to a certain look no matter what. It's not like some girl is going to step on the scale and say, "Oh, my ideal man looks like _____ but since I tip the scales at 275, I guess I am now only attracted to _____ because they are more in 'my league.'" Is the skinny awkward guy supposed to all of a sudden not be attracted to the home coming queen because she is "in" and he isn't? Just because these people don't "have a chance" is that supposed to mean that they should just accept their fate and force themselves to be attracted to others who are homely, overweight or socially awkward? You do realize that these are regular people, same as you and I, right?

OP, you mind must be a strange and interesting place...

Old 03-07-2013, 04:11 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,068,969 times
The only thing I'd think is he must have found something interesting or attractive enough in me to approach (or he thinks I'm an easy target).

I don't judge...if they aren't my type I'd simply thank them for the flattery and let them know I'm not interested.

Last edited by *Sixy*; 03-07-2013 at 04:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships