Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2013, 10:50 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,869,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
My husband makes a good paycheck and yes, I deserve half of our marital assets.

WE were able to set goals together to achieve certain financial goals. He didn't do it solo and if I were not on board with his career goals/plan, dug my feet in and continued to further my career then he certainly would not be where he is today. I just need to look at our situation now to know that. The responsibilities of the family and house still fall on my shoulders even though I put in as many or more hours than he does.
If you contributed to your husband's success then I am on board with you. Otherwise, the money isn't yours.

And just so you think I'm not some kind of jerk, I just feel that some common sense needs to put in here. I feel you on how you invested most of your life to the guy then suddenly he just up and leaves you. I just don't think someone deserves half of what he put in. I'd wager at least 20%, if anything from all of his assets. That's still a pretty good number. Plus, he'd still be paying for child support. Why would any woman not be okay with that?

Old 03-12-2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Like I said before, a marriage is about more than money. Not all things brought to the table can be measured in money. If that is all you see - then marriage is probably not suited to you anyway.
On the contrary, it seems that most of these woman are in it for the money. That is why I'm bringing this up in the first place. And if marriage is not about money, then why are you arguing for the woman's case in justifying her getting half the amount he owns? What kind of logic are you using here? It makes zero sense.

And again, I'm only scared of marrying a Westernize "modern woman" for this situation alone. It seems like there is a large amount of woman who think that they deserve to get paid for getting married. But as you said, marriage isn't about money, so why should they feel they should get paid for being married? Marriage is not about money, right?

Old 03-12-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
What do I think of exes who take half of their wealthy spouses' fortune? Probably greedy.
Alright so you agree that the woman in the article is greedy. Cool. So do I.

Quote:
If a woman decides to leave a marriage, is she entitled to half? That's what the law says in no-fault states.
That's not what I am asking.

Listen to Bill Burr again please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vahAzMER9ic

Quote:
I'd ask you if a woman decided to leave because her husband hit her, whether she'd then be entitled to half, but you have already answered that.
She can sue him. Sure... that's completely fine. I get that. He could go to jail and pay whatever he owes given the degree of crime. But he certainly should NOT be punished for being her husband. That makes zero sense.

Quote:
Do I think the woman in the article was a bit monstrous for doing what she did? "Doing what she did"--overturning the prenup? I don't know. The article said she spent $400,000 in legal fees to have it overturned. I told you that the lawyers will make it worse.
Why did you think she wanted the prenup overturned, lady? Come on, let's get to the bottom of this!

Quote:
If this woman goes on to sue her husband for half of multimillions, then yes, I think that is probably monstrous.
Okay! Thank you. So you think she is a monstrous selfish woman. Finally you admit it!

Old 03-12-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
So the only ones who show some logic are the ones that agree with you? Okay.
Again with your strange twisted rationalizations. I agree with those who show logic, yes. You however have not done so, my fare lady.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:07 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
On the contrary, it seems that most of these woman are in it for the money. That is why I'm bringing this up in the first place. And if marriage is not about money, then why are you arguing for the woman's case in justifying her getting half the amount he owns? What kind of logic are you using here? It makes zero sense.

And again, I'm only scared of marrying a Westernize "modern woman" for this situation alone. It seems like there is a large amount of woman who think that they deserve to get paid for getting married. But as you said, marriage isn't about money, so why should they feel they should get paid for being married? Marriage is not about money, right?
Where have i justified her getting half the amount he owns?

My point is that I was not a part of their marriage. Therefore to see things as black and white seems very biased to me.

I don't know any woman who thinks that they deserve to get paid for getting married. All my friends married for love. I married for love. And when you marry for love - it is a joining of lives, as equals. If you aren't willing to part with any of your money - you shouldn't get married. My husband and I have built a life together. I stay home and take care of our baby. If we divorced (which we don't see as an option) - he would not leave me with out a cent just because I didn't earn as much as he did. Like I said - we built our life TOGETHER. You can't measure everything in terms of money. And I'm not going to judge other people's divorces or marriages when I have had no part in them. All I can say is that there are bad people out there who probably don't deserve what they get and there are good people who didn't get what they deserve. The lesson to be learned in all of this - to me - is to choose your partner wisely and to realize that all of your actions have consequences.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:09 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
Again with your strange twisted rationalizations. I agree with those who show logic, yes. You however have not done so, my fare lady.
On that note, I'll bid you adieu. I don't like to converse once the personal attacks start.

And it's "fair" lady, not "fare" lady.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Where have i justified her getting half the amount he owns?

My point is that I was not a part of their marriage. Therefore to see things as black and white seems very biased to me.
You haven't justified her flat out, but you've completely evaded the question. I simply asked to give me a scenario that can be justified. I don't see how there could ever be any single scenario where in such a case as this anyone is entitled to half the amount.

If you give me reasons like, "I don't know. I wasn't part of the marriage." It's really not addressing the question. It's not really clearing anything up at all.

Quote:
I don't know any woman who thinks that they deserve to get paid for getting married. All my friends married for love. I married for love. And when you marry for love - it is a joining of lives, as equals. If you aren't willing to part with any of your money - you shouldn't get married.
You keep saying that marriage is about "love" and "friendship" and all those nice romantic things that I agree with, so if its about such a thing why then is money even brought into the equation? Why do women in such cases want half of their exes money? I thought you said marriage was about "love" and all those nice things, not money.

My money is my money. If I marry I will give her my love and support her all the way. If she ever decided to leave me, my money is mine. Why is that hard to understand?

Quote:
[My husband and I have built a life together. I stay home and take care of our baby. If we divorced (which we don't see as an option) - he would not leave me with out a cent just because I didn't earn as much as he did. Like I said - we built our life TOGETHER.
You keep making this such a "romantic" thing. I appreciate your gesture and I commend the two of you for living happy lives. And I've mentioned that if you have contributed to the success than more power to you, you definitely deserve half of what you paid in. But lady... please, stop derailing from the question. That is NOT at all what I am asking.

The question is, how is any person entitled to their exes half of wealth even when they did not contribute not one single penny to it?

Quote:
You can't measure everything in terms of money
I'm not! And you keep saying that. That's not what I'm saying at all.

Quote:
And I'm not going to judge other people's divorces or marriages when I have had no part in them.
Neither am I.

Quote:
All I can say is that there are bad people out there who probably don't deserve what they get and there are good people who didn't get what they deserve. The lesson to be learned in all of this - to me - is to choose your partner wisely and to realize that all of your actions have consequences.
I don't have a problem with what you are saying, but again its NOT WHAT I AM ASKING.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
On that note, I'll bid you adieu. I don't like to converse once the personal attacks start.

And it's "fair" lady, not "fare" lady.
Alright, I'll give you that. There's one correct thing you've said so far. I'd wager that you're leaving this discussion not because I misspelled "fair", but because you can't really address the said question. That's the flat out truth.

Edit:
What was so offensive about what I said anyway? That I find your arguments irrational? I do. Sorry. I simply do. I don't think you're a terrible person or that you are not smart. I just disagree with the way you are rationalizing this situation.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:47 PM

I'm sorry but you people defending this woman in the article are being disingenuous. The more I hear about stories, the crazier I feel this world is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzb...endscreen&NR=1

I've always questioned this fact about society ever since I was 10 or 12 years old and its all the more telling about our society how nobody really wants to talk about it, as if its not some big deal. Like the story with my cousin... he moved to Brazil with his girlfriend. They lived together. He couldn't get a job because he had no visa. They opened up an Art Gallery where the two of them showed their artwork. He'd put in money of what he'd saved up when he lived in NYC. Eventually their relationship started falling apart. They broke up. He had nothing but to fly back to Texas and she stayed with all of his artwork and didn't get a single thing out of it. It's stories like these that are all too common and most women in today's society just wanna shrug their shoulders as if its not some big deal.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:36 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
There is that old adage "behind every great man there is a great woman."

It is impossible to have family with 2 career-driven people. It doesn't work. Te kids will have access to zero parents if both are focused on their careers.

In this case, since the wife was at home with the kids, this freed him up to take care of business at work. He would not have been as successful if he wasn't married. During the hard charging time in your career, you absolutely need to make sacrifices. Personal time, family time, etc. Marriage offered him flexibility to do that.

Why don't we lok at the first family. Michelle Obama is a stay at home mom at the moment. And in other periods she was the primary breadwinner. Here acting as the breadwinner freed up Obama to pursue his political pursuits. Now she is staying home so he can reach his political aspirations as well. Is she not giving up something in order to do that? She is obviously driven, and could have a lucrative law career at the moment.

Alimony is not a collection plate for the other spouse, in a proper marriage everyone derives some benefit from the relationship. If you don't view marriage as a partnership, I think it is wise not to get married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships