Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 09:27 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,598,335 times

Advertisements

I'll never say "never"...after all there are diamonds in the rough. With that said, besides the "duh" ones like drug dealer...

- Politician or any sort of political activist. Doesn't matter what ideology (Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, etc.) I prefer to keep U.S. politics at arms length...too much corruption and stupidity. The occasional visit to cnn.com or other similar site is good enough for me.

- Any commission-based job. Certain car salesmen, telemarketers, and so on.

- Microsoft employees, particularly those working at their headquarters in Redmond, WA. Their company culture is toxic, based on what I've read. If they get an upper-mgmt change for the better, then I may reconsider my stance.

- Any job where you often have to "live" at your job and work long hours. Sadly many companies in the IT industry operate this way. OTOH, occasional crunch time is fine. If this long-hour stuff is a temporary arrangement with a light at the end of the tunnel in the near future, that's OK too.

- Workaholics. Work to live, don't live to work.

- Post office worker. Many of them come across as really sour.

- Any job that involves frequent travel for long periods of time.

I'm a big proponent of work/life balance, plus working in an occupation and for a company where you don't have to be a douche to coworkers or clients...IOW, an environment that encourages positivity, fresh ideas from anyone and collaboration, not competition and backstabbing with each other. Your occupation/career and where you work (especially if you've been there awhile) are all influential factors on your personality and lifestyle outside of the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 09:39 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Journalists. I worked at a newspaper for three years and I never met one who was happily married.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:44 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityMan View Post

- Workaholics. Work to live, don't live to work.
I agree whole heartedly with this mantra.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:51 AM

456 posts, read 1,170,226 times
Collectively, I think everyone together named like 99% of all professions. Hmm

And the whole not wanting to be with someone that works a 9-5 job. Seriously? What exactly do you do then?

Old 03-13-2013, 09:54 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Journalists. I worked at a newspaper for three years and I never met one who was happily married.
I worked at a newspaper for seven years and barely had time to date.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:56 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunny View Post

And the whole not wanting to be with someone that works a 9-5 job. Seriously? What exactly do you do then?
Weren't those the people who work in entertainment/hospitality, like clubs and bars, and were concerned they'd have incompatible schedules with a 9-5er?

Old 03-13-2013, 01:32 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,958,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
- Income level requirements unstated but there
- Military/Cop - had friends. lost friends. F- that.
- Medical - exposure risks, high demands, high student loans possible (also lost a friend to that)
- Lawyer - high demands, high student loans possible
- Teacher - They just don't pay them usually. Adult student do try to get "extra credit" which..eww...even if the s.o. didnt who knows what the sloot would report to the school and then all of sudden you are with a "rapist". (saw that)
- Firefighter - dangerous, health hazards that come with the job (saw lung cancer take one early)
- Business owner - shakey financial times do not always bode well (saw the stress of the downfall)
- Entertainment/Creative Industry - artists, dancers, promoters, actors, photographers
So what does that leave? Pretty much corporate ? CEO's, VP's, Etc? Engineers? IT? 9-5ers...

Old 03-13-2013, 01:41 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,200,884 times
I've never really dated anyone who has to wear a suit to work, and I will never date someone who works in finance.

Which leaves me with all the military and law enforcement personnel you folks won't go near.

Pretty interesting, as I'm fond of saying I've had the good fortune to date good men, and you don't see me on here complaining about dating or asking for advice.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:50 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,298,587 times
As an analytical chemist, I could never date an organic chemist. It would never work out, for reasons that are obvious to anyone in the field.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:56 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
Anything illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships