Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 08:29 PM

353 posts, read 395,382 times

Advertisements

Spring is finally here! This is a lovely time for wedding proposals. Although I am not in a relationship (at this time), I love to watch proposals (especially on youtube).

I came across the most beautiful proposal, so I decided to share it with you guys:

Worlds most beautiful wedding proposal , just like in the movies!! - YouTube

Please feel fee to add your favorite proposal vids and/or stories. Finding that special person is absolutely beautiful, it always brings tears to my eyes to see such happiness and joy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 12:25 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
I like these proposals on this video compilation mainly because I hate exhibitionists. The last one is especially good, because she's looking at the ring as if it were an annoyed tarantula.

Hey, I'm a sucker for romance, two hearts beating as one, and all that. But, guys, don't propose to your intended in front a bunch of people at a basketball game, on live television or -- worst of all -- at a freaking food court of a shopping mall.

Don't line up a marching band, all your friends and family, skywriters, a seal act or anything else. Two good reasons. First, nothing can even remotely compare to the simple beauty of dropping to one knee and asking another person to share your life with you. Nothing.

Second, all these over-the-top proposals aren't just shallow, reducing a moment of supreme intimacy into cheap performance art. They're coercive as hell. Because if you invite your future in-laws, fraternity buds, a live band, hot air balloons, and everything else under the sun to stand there as witnesses, you are putting the poor woman on the spot. If she says, yes, there's always a chance that she's doing it under a bit of duress to not make you look bad. If she says no, she's the freaking villain.

And before you think I'm mean for spoiling your fairy tale, think for a moment: Turning down a proposal is hard enough for anyone with a shred of empathy. How would you like to be one of the women on this video?

Top 5 Marriage Proposal Fails - YouTube

Last edited by cpg35223; 03-18-2013 at 01:04 PM..

Old 03-18-2013, 12:29 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
Ah, a thread not putting someone or something down today!

I proposed at the end of a hike to the "Eternal Flame" which is a flame lit from escaping methane gas, behind a waterfall at a local county park. My wife was sort of expecting it at the time, so after we got there I didn't immediately do anything. Took pictures of the flame, talked, etc, and as we were getting ready to leave a got on a knee and sprung the question. It was fun times!

Old 03-18-2013, 02:33 PM

16 posts, read 32,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I like these proposals on this video compilation mainly because I hate exhibitionists. The last one is especially good, because she's looking at the ring as if it were an annoyed tarantula.

Hey, I'm a sucker for romance, two hearts beating as one, and all that. But, guys, don't propose to your intended in front a bunch of people at a basketball game, on live television or -- worst of all -- at a freaking food court of a shopping mall.

Don't line up a marching band, all your friends and family, skywriters, a seal act or anything else. Two good reasons. First, nothing can even remotely compare to the simple beauty of dropping to one knee and asking another person to share your life with you. Nothing.

Second, all these over-the-top proposals aren't just shallow, reducing a moment of supreme intimacy into cheap performance art. They're coercive as hell. Because if you invite your future in-laws, fraternity buds, a live band, hot air balloons, and everything else under the sun to stand there as witnesses, you are putting the poor woman on the spot. If she says, yes, there's always a chance that she's doing it under a bit of duress to not make you look bad. If she says no, she's the freaking villain.

And before you think I'm mean for spoiling your fairy tale, think for a moment: Turning down a proposal is hard enough for anyone with a shred of empathy. How would you like to be one of the women on this video?

Top 5 Marriage Proposal Fails - YouTube
I had a difficult time watching this. How embarrassing for those guys. Before any man proposes he should find out indirectly if the woman is interested.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie1234 View Post
I had a difficult time watching this. How embarrassing for those guys. Before any man proposes he should find out indirectly if the woman is interested.
Exactly.

Look, if some guy dated a woman, was deeply in love with her, proposed in a private and intimate way, and was rejected, I'd feel really badly for him.

The problem with these proposals is that they were essentially designed to be public spectacle. And any guy who gets the thumbs down gets precisely what he deserves.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:35 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Just say no to public proposals.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:46 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Nice, Positive thread. I have assisted with proposals in my line of work. It's always great when I hear the recipient said yes. I have encountered only 2 that to my knowledge did not work out.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Just say no to public proposals.
Rep for you.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:49 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
When I get engaged I want him to propose privately, maybe alone or with our families around. While public proposals are romantic they can be awkward.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:13 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
I would want him to be creative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships