Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2013, 07:01 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Which is a superior use of time than blasting aliens. Don't kid yourself. I've been around this enough to know that most of it is indeed mind-numbing repetitive stuff.

I'm really not trying to elevate myself or condescend. But I also know that, at age 50, life is a precious thing. Time is a precious thing. And how we use it is really important. At the end of your days, will you look back and say to yourself, "You know, I'm so glad I spent thousands of hours in my youth at a video console?"

And, hey, I'm on CD chit chatting with people, chiefly because I work out of the house with clients around the country and it's a nice substitute for not being in an office. But even in the relationship forums we typically talk of something of substance, even if it's interpersonal relationships. I've made some friends along the way here. But it's not a substitute for my life. Sadly, based on my own personal experiences, there are people out there who look at their video gaming in that way. And I don't think it's a tiny minority, either.
Good God! Dammit. You act like a enriching life and a couple hours of video games a week cannot coexist at all. Some of the best and most fulfilling conversations I've had with friends happened to be while we were playing Madden and eating pizza. The video games are a part of most people's lives today. Get over it. As long as it stays a PART of someone's life, there should not be a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 07:02 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Que ?
This, right? "Must be busy with all those books or whatever people can't wait to buy...said no one ever."

1,360 posts, read 1,693,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Que ?
Yeah I see plenty of people reading books so we are observing two different things.

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
It's just observation. Kind of like yours that nobody likes to read books anymore.
I read all the time. I even read in the bathtub. It drives my husband crazy.

That doesn't make me any more "useful" than the next person and no, when I die I won't be saying, "I am so glad I read tons of books rather than playing games."

I don't think you're getting the general point so I'll leave it at that. I don't really want to argue with you, as I said, I usually like the things you say. But this one, I felt, was wrong so I said so. There isn't much more for me to say. You will continue with your beliefs but I hope you've at least learned something today.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Good God! Dammit. You act like a enriching life and a couple hours of video games a week cannot coexist at all. Some of the best and most fulfilling conversations I've had with friends happened to be while we were playing Madden and eating pizza. The video games are a part of most people's lives today. Get over it. As long as it stays a PART of someone's life, there should not be a problem.
And you won't get much argument from me on that. But those aren't the ones I'm talking about. I'm not talking about someone who plays two hours of Madden on Saturday morning to blow off steam. I'm talking about the people who do it every day, the guys who walk in the door from work, flip it on and are still at it late at night.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaybirdX View Post
Yeah I see plenty of people reading books so we are observing two different things.
He'd probably disqualify the reading if it was done on a Kindle or Ipad. If he has such a gotdamn vendetta on anything with a screen he should be consistent.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:05 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
He'd probably disqualify the reading if it was done on a Kindle or Ipad. If he has such a gotdamn vendetta on anything with a screen he should be consistent.
It's okay if you're reading outside. (Sorry cpg. )

Old 03-18-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
And you won't get much argument from me on that. But those aren't the ones I'm talking about. I'm not talking about someone who plays two hours of Madden on Saturday morning to blow off steam. I'm talking about the people who do it every day, the guys who walk in the door from work, flip it on and are still at it late at night.
You totally did not make that clear. I'm sorry you did not.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
You totally did not make that clear. I'm sorry you did not.
I beg your pardon, then. We are talking about two completely different things.

Hell, I'm not saying that one hour of Modern Warfare is going to turn you into a gibbering idiot. What I am saying, however, is that video games do have a unique ability to really suck you into an alternative reality that can keep you entertained for hour after hour if you're not careful. Be honest. Are there some times when you had to throw down the controls and say, "Jesus on a minibike. If I don't stop playing right now I'm going to be doing this all day?" I think video games are more capable of creating this kind of behavior than other hobbies. Hey, I love to ride bikes. But I have to stop after three hours or my youknowwhats get numb. That capacity doesn't exist in video games. There's the difference.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:07 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times
Quote:
This, right? "Must be busy with all those books or whatever people can't wait to buy...said no one ever."

Oh, no, they like to read books.

Just, yanno.

Yeah.

Anyways, time for me to go play another mission on Hitman in a bit, since I'm so incapable of gettin' any decent woman these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships