Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 05:08 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,432,025 times

Advertisements

Okay, it sounds like someone's "social value" is basically their arm candy index.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 05:10 PM

1,839 posts, read 3,053,577 times
yes, that was my point initially.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:39 PM

237 posts, read 439,001 times
I heard a quote earlier on here that behind every great man lies a great women and I think this train of thought very well sums up why women are attracted to the alpha males of society. A man and a woman are like the nucleus of what will one day (in theory) be a family and when a woman is making her determination as to whom will help her carry the next generation into existence she will, albeit maybe sub-consciously, want the best damn gene pool that she can find. It used to be who was the best hunter/gatherer (provider) but as society evolved it too began evolving into other displayed traits like wealth, perceived power and status/dominance among the other males.. Remember we all might as well be walruses when in comes to the art pro-creation...

Old 03-22-2013, 07:23 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,373,160 times
What I've discovered -- and this is strictly anecdotal -- is that "social value" is determined by one's stage in life.

I read someplace that men and women need one partner when they're in their 20s and 30s to have and raise kids, do the house and white picket fence thing, etc., and another partner when in their 40s and older who is their true soulmate.

Almost all of my 40-ish female friends are divorced or are in the process of divorcing and those who aren't are waiting until the kids leave the house to initiate the "gray divorce." I think that some men and women could feasibly need very two types of mates during the course of their lifetimes for disparate purposes.

My Best Half and I, having no children nor wanting them, place emphasis on a peer-peer relationship built on equal strengths, both in our careers and our personal lives. Having been married to a man who wanted a more conventional relationship in which my worth was based primarily on my capacity to bear children and stick within well defined gender roles, this makes all the difference in the world in how two people interact with each other, and their potential to endure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships