Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 02:25 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
Now I have to commit seppuku.
I know right. Damn ....... Damn you to hell!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 02:31 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,604,665 times
Men are at major disadvantage when it comes to online dating, its just the way it is. Women cannot gauge attraction to men, based strictly on the picture they see, yet the picture is often the reason these men get rejected. WOmen are attracted to mans behavior and men are attracted to womans physical looks. If a woman puts up a recent picture, and she l;ook slike it when they meet, that is all a man needs to know for his initial interest to be justified. It does not work that way in a vice versa scenario. We may be equal, but we ar enot the same, in fact far from.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:41 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,671,924 times
Funny, I think men and women are the same...just not equal.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:11 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,399 times
Ha, I did some online dating years ago, early-mid twenties and learned quite fast to avoid all weird angle, strange lighting, or lack of body shot profiles. I surprised most women I think.

Was suppose to meet this one on the front porch of a local pub in town. Of course I show up ten minutes early and have a seat on the swing. 8 o'clock comes and goes and no date I figure I'm just being stood up but I told myself I'll wait a half hour. Hmmm, you'd think she'd call Finally after fifteen minutes this woman shows up and looks at me and kind of wonders around the porch a little bit. Keep in mind her photo wasn't "all that clear" so I wasn't sure if it was her or not. The photo was clear enough that I knew she had a nice bod though...you know, what's important to a guy. Finally by chance I ask her if she doesn't happen to be so-n-so. She said no and that she was waiting for her BF. She then pretended to get a phone call then left. So I waited out the half hour and left myself.

After I got home, I IM'd her later that night to see what was up. She confessed that after seeing that I was such a fine piece of man-meat, she panic-attacked and went home (actually I added the man-meat part but you get the idea). Some people's social disorders, I tell you...

Old 03-24-2013, 05:54 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
Funny, I think men and women are the same...just not equal.
Now isn't that funny...I happen to think men and women are equal but not the same.

So tell me doubledub, who is greater and who is lesser in your non equal equation?

Old 03-24-2013, 06:17 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,029,387 times
Any ladies here ever been misled by a "waist down" picture?

Effective lighting and camera angles can make a six-incher look like Hulk Hogan's forearm.

I don't even have good photography skills and I've produced some "Anthony Weiner shots" with my Samsung Galaxy that would make you drop your jaw. I'm not small in real life, but I'm not hung like Peter North either and therefore I would never set a girl up for disappointment and myself up for embarrassment by sending such shots to her before she sees the real thing.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:18 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
Any ladies here ever been misled by a "waist down" picture?

Effective lighting and camera angles can make a six-incher look like Hulk Hogan's forearm.

I don't even have good photography skills and I've produced some "Anthony Weiner shots" with my Samsung Galaxy that would make you drop your jaw. I'm not small in real life, but I'm not hung like Peter North either and therefore I would never set a girl up for disappointment and myself up for embarrassment by sending such shots to her before she sees the real thing.
This post is utterly useless without pics

Old 03-24-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
This post is utterly useless without pics
I'm not a mod-favorite here to begin with, so I doubt I could get away with posting the pics I made reference to. I might be able to work out something via DM if an attractive female has a legitimate interest in seeing not just the pics but the real thing.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:30 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
Ha, I did some online dating years ago, early-mid twenties and learned quite fast to avoid all weird angle, strange lighting, or lack of body shot profiles. I surprised most women I think.

Was suppose to meet this one on the front porch of a local pub in town. Of course I show up ten minutes early and have a seat on the swing. 8 o'clock comes and goes and no date I figure I'm just being stood up but I told myself I'll wait a half hour. Hmmm, you'd think she'd call Finally after fifteen minutes this woman shows up and looks at me and kind of wonders around the porch a little bit. Keep in mind her photo wasn't "all that clear" so I wasn't sure if it was her or not. The photo was clear enough that I knew she had a nice bod though...you know, what's important to a guy. Finally by chance I ask her if she doesn't happen to be so-n-so. She said no and that she was waiting for her BF. She then pretended to get a phone call then left. So I waited out the half hour and left myself.

After I got home, I IM'd her later that night to see what was up. She confessed that after seeing that I was such a fine piece of man-meat, she panic-attacked and went home (actually I added the man-meat part but you get the idea). Some people's social disorders, I tell you...
Okay but what did SHE look like? Did she look different from her pics?

Old 03-24-2013, 06:53 PM

Anyone here ever been brave enough to meet someone from online WITHOUT seeing pictures first?

I did back in 1998, the summer I turned 16. Obviously this was way before cell phone cameras or anything like that. I had one of those circular webcams sitting on top of my computer (think "American Pie") so I was able to send out pics using that.

But I started talking to a chick who had no pics online. I still wanted to meet her, however, because 1) she described herself and it sounded good to me, and 2) the high school she went to was known for being preppy, upscale, and having a lot of hot girls (for those familiar with the Knoxville, TN area, it was Farragut).

So we made plans to meet. The plan was for me to pick her up at her house and then go bowling. I show up at the address she gave me and it's a gravel driveway leading up to a single-wide trailer (for you Knoxville peeps, the road was Snyder Road, off Lovell).

Now I didn't grow up anywhere close to rich and I have never thought I was better than anyone because of socioeconomic status, but the entire ambiance of the place just made me a little uneasy. It's hard to describe unless you were there.

So I sat in the truck for a minute, hesitating to get out and go to the door. Obviously she was watching for me, because almost immediately she comes bounding out the front door.

That very moment was when I learned the lesson that a chick can be 5'6", 135lbs, blond hair, blue eyes, just like she described... and still be, to put it nicely, very very homely.

So she's walking toward the truck with an expression on her face like "aren't you going to get out?" and when she gets about five feet away, my fight-or-flight instincts kick in. I throw that Dodge truck into reverse and FLOOR it, stirring up a ton of dust from her gravel driveway. I back it onto Snyder Road then put it in gear and peel out.

The last I saw of that girl was in my rear view mirror, her standing in the middle of a cloud of dust stirred up by my truck tires.

I still feel bad about that to this day, and if I could go back, I would take her bowling as promised and at least be a friend to her. But I was 16 at the time. And since I'm pretty good at not repeating my mistakes, I implemented a policy for online dating that I have followed ever since: at least two RECENT photos, one being a full-body shot and one being at least a relatively close-up, non-photoshopped face pic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships