U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 05:42 PM

4,188 posts, read 4,610,107 times

Advertisements

So I recently started an OKcupid account in a bid to venture into the unknown depths of online dating, based on a recommendation from my sister's bf.

So far there hasn't been much success but I have had a few back and forth messages. They typically don't lead anywhere though, at least not yet.

I'm just wondering whether my profile could use some work, so I've decided to post just the text parts here (no info or questions.) Take a look and give your opinion, too wordy, too serious, not serious enough, not enough info, too much, etc. The way okcupid works is that each profile is divided into sections by topic. I've bolded the given topic headings to make viewing easier. Warning: somewhat long.

Self Summary:

Well, hullo there. My name is X and I'm a Asian/American mutt from Malaysia, where I was born and raised.

I'm 22 years of age and am a male (I think). I'm a writer with part time work to keep me afloat, because fiction writing until you break through that critical point is about as lucrative as selling ice to Inuits.

What I’m doing with my life

Just moved to San Francisco from Malaysia a couple of months ago, a pretty big independence move for me. (About as far away from the family as one can get without moving to Uzbekistan. But I hear there's no wifi there.)

Working on a novel right now, am done with the first draft and am looking for a publisher! That's pretty much my main focus right now, but I'm also looking to expand my social network and meet people, hence why I'm here I guess. If those people happened to be attractive members of the opposite gender, then hey, why not, but I'll settle for meeting Jeff Goldbloom or something as well.

Long term, I'm thinking of breaking into the Sci Fi/Fantasy scene with a bestseller, and setting up shop here in the States. I'm way too young to think about marrying or kids or the white picket fence life, but that being said, I do value a stable, long term monogamous relationship with someone special, and I would like to find one. That doesn't mean I'm not down to hang out on a casual basis, if the context is right.

I’m really good at:

Eating and sleeping are my primary areas of expertise, thanks to a certain orange furry mentor I had in my youth.

http://www.mezzacotta.net/garfield/comics/0206.png

There are other things I'm somewhat good at as well.

-Writing (Or at least, I damn well hope so, otherwise this career path will be over faster than a North Korean missile test.)

-Martial Arts

-Reading and editing

-Debate

-Literary Analysis

-Some gaming (Team Fortress 2. Civ series and Dota 2 mostly.)

-Hip hop dancing.

-Whistling tunelessly.

-Singing even more tunelessly.

-Dress Well. ( I suppose you lot will the judge of that.)

The first things people usually notice about me

I'm a male. Though I have met some wishful thinkers out there.

I have a fairly good fashion sense, though it is somewhat old-fashioned. My dad was a mix of 60s hippie and 50's Mad Men character so that is reflected somewhat in my clothing.

Polite and courteous. (Again, just how I was raised.)

I may seem somewhat shy and reserved at first glance but once the conversation picks up I get fairly gregarious, especially if the conversation involves chipmunks, Monty Python, or lasagna.

Favorite books, movies, shows, music, and food

Oh lawdy this could go on for ages, so I'll only put a few in each category, might fill it out more later.

Music, Extremely Eclectic Tastes: Bruce Springsteen, HIM, Perfect Circle, Atreyu, Bullet for My Valentine, Sinatra, Duke Ellington, Bubba Fatts, Michael Jackson, Regina Spektor, the Who, The Kooks, The Velvet Underground, Dream Theater, Nightwish, Michael Buble, DMX, Yin Yang Twins, Salt n Peppa, Eminem.

Books:

Srs books- The Trial. Metamorphosis. Handmaiden's Tale. 1984. Fahrenheit 88. Deer hunting with Jesus. Keynes Hayek. The God Delusion. The End of Faith. Anything by Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris, and Dennet really. Leviathan. The Republic. Candide.

Fun- LOTR (duh.) Dune. Wheel of Time. Sword of Truth (at least until Richard became a complete Mary Sue.) Ender's Game. Last Man in Tower. The White Tiger. Raise the Red Lantern. Canterbury Tales.

Shows:

Firefly. Heroes. Frakking Battlestar Galactica. The Wire. Dr. Who

Food:

Everything, as long as you don't put any damn cilantro on it.

No seriously, coming from a mix Italian/Chinese background and growing up in South East Asia, there's almost nothing I don't like. I'm easy to wine and dine

Games:

Why was there no games section? Cmon cupid people, it's 2013.

Team Fortress 2. All Civ games. Sins of a Solar Empire. Alpha Centauri. Mario 64. Super Smash Brothers. Age of Empires 1 and 2. 3 was bad. I'm still crying about it. All the Starcrafts. World of Warcraft (don't worry though I don't play it anymore.) Dota 2. Diablo 1 and 2. (Blizzard why u make 3 so bad.) Path of Exile. Torchlight 1 and 2.

The six things I could never do without
1. Lasagna.
2. My family.

Is it bad that my family comes second.

http://mlkshk.com/r/5I0B

3. My friends.
4. Books.
5. Dogs, my dogs specifically. But one of them is getting real old now .

6. Scotch.

I spend a lot of time thinking about

Politics at home and in the US. Specifically how it's all falling apart. Bring back the Keynsian economics! Also, kick out Barisan National, useless corrupt buggers.

Friends and family, especially my sister who is going through a tough time right now with an illness.

My dogs. I miss them so much, but I can't keep dogs here where I'm staying.

Lasagna. Hmmmmmm. Actually when it comes to women and lasagna I'm afraid I have to choose the latter. Sorry ladies. Unfortunately though, I can't date lasagna. :P

On a typical Friday night I am
At a bar with my friends! If my friends aren't in town, I like to curl up with a good book or do some writing.

Movie and a nice Italian dinner, even by myself, is also something I love doing.

I’m looking for

Girls who like guys
Ages 20–35
Near me
For new friends, long-term dating, short-term dating, activity partners.

You should message me if

Honestly, the rest of this profile is pretty verbose already, so I'll get down to the nitty gritty here.

You should message me if you are any of the below

-Humorous, enjoys laughing in general, likes telling and listening to funny stories.
-Sweet
-Female (I mean...this is San Francisco. It never hurts to be specific).
-Bubbly and gregarious.
-Outgoing.
-Foodie and enjoys trying new places to eat and drink!
-Intelligent.

And most importantly - would like to get to know me better. Cheerio!

End Profile. Anyway, I've tried to go for a mix of humor and information about myself, as well as short self summary of my current situation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 05:47 PM

14,251 posts, read 15,085,443 times
Your profile makes me wish I had young, college-aged female relatives I could fling at you, but alas no.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:55 PM

11,261 posts, read 14,009,477 times
You had me at BSG. lol

I dunno, seemed fun.

If I were a girl I'd at the very least check it out.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:55 PM

20,068 posts, read 15,475,411 times
Well, since you asked, this:

It comes across as trying too hard (to be funny and witty).

Old 03-24-2013, 05:57 PM

43,810 posts, read 42,905,017 times
Well, I'm an old dude comparing to you, but you strike me as an old soul, one hell of writer, and a generally witty guy.

You should be beating the lady off of you with a stick.

You are also lucky in that you seem at a your age to have a good head on your shoulders... and trust me that is huge thing in life to have, as I've known many many people twice your age that are floundering around big time....

Good profile.... the only critique is that it seems a bit long (that's what she said) but I don't know if that is standard length or not, as I've never been to that site.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:59 PM

14,251 posts, read 15,085,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Well, I'm an old dude comparing to you, but you strike me as an old soul, one hell of writer, and a generally witty guy.

You should be beating the lady off of you with a stick.

You are also lucky in that you seem at a your age to have a good head on your shoulders... and trust me that is huge thing in life to have, as I've known many many people twice your age that are floundering around big time....

Good profile.... the only critique is that it seems a bit long (that's what she said) but I don't know if that is standard length or not, as I've never been to that site.

It's actually the standard length for an OKC profile. So he's good there. Some people post entire novels.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:06 PM

14,921 posts, read 18,647,419 times
the former....you would have to choose the former. Just kidding. :P

Old 03-24-2013, 06:11 PM

14,014 posts, read 13,875,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I agree that it's too long. I wouldn't (didn't) read it.

Honestly OP, just make sure your pics are good.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:11 PM

11,832 posts, read 15,186,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Well, since you asked, this:

It comes across as trying too hard (to be funny and witty).
This is what I thought as well. I don't like the jokes.

It's really long too. I didn't even get through the whole thing.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:15 PM

42,774 posts, read 46,712,427 times
It actually sounds really good.
You will attract the nerds-artsy people-Asian Americans-Pop and rap people-fellow writers

Bewarned of the weirdos though! Your a goodlooking guy so I don't think you will have trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships