Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 12:20 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
Oh for the love of science, a small child could have predicted, that you weren't going to try and follow directions.

Yes or No, you have an affiliation, specifically, with match.com/eharmony. You put down other forms of online dating, so that's why I ask.

Why must you be so boorish? I agree with you half the time, but won't touch it with a ten foot pool, as you spend your days on here, braying like an ass.
Boorish? I think you're confusing me with yourself. I didn't follow your directions because I didn't care for your attitude. We know you had a bad experience with online dating and don't care for it. But why is it so hard to recognize that others actually like it? Your question comes across like many of your posts. Condescending. The fact that you had to ask if I have an affiliation is proof of that. I guess it never occurred to you that I might just be able to view those services more objectively than some of these other posters or that I might be better informed about how they work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 12:28 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,405,820 times
LOL oh Denny...I only ever read your first word. Yes or No...you are affiliated with these companies?

Oh ya, my 2 week experience consisted of me just loading up pictures of me with the bathroom in the background...and me not bothering to respond to anyone. Like I said, it just wasn't for me.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
Are you talking about me? I know I don't have enough patience.
Nope.

Last edited by JSizzle225; 08-25-2010 at 12:41 PM..

Old 08-25-2010, 01:09 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times
Quote:
I think it probably has more to do with their conservative Christian beliefs, but your point may be valid. I didn't know much about the site before the coworker made that comment and yes, I agree it is another reason (among many others) to despise her.

If that's the way they want to operate their site it's their choice. I just choose not to give them my money! Plus, I really wouldn't like not being able to search for people on my own. The idea of a computer knowing more than I do about what I'm looking for just doesn't work for me.
I think eHarmony has unfairly been branded as a right-wing service because of who its founder is and how it sprung from the Christian community. I read a lot of liberal blogs so I know what people say about eHarmony and Neil Clark Warren. Like a lot of liberals, I had originally dismissed eHarmony because I too thought it had a right-wing agenda and was only meant for Christians. But then I read an interview on one liberal blog where they talked to Warren and asked him about his association with the right, with James Dobson, and why his service doesn't match gays, etc. It was clear that the interviewer had an agenda and was trying to make Warren look like he was anti-gay. But Warren came off looking a lot better than the interviewer. Warren explained that the only reason they don't yet support gay matching is because their research was based on straight couples. But I also read some time later that eHarmony was planning to introduce a service for gays as well. Warren broke ties with Dobson because he didn't care to further his political agenda. What's clear is that if he has any political agenda, his business agenda supersedes it. It should be obvious even to him that there's money to be made in attracting the gay community. And I figure if a liberal atheist like me can get plenty of matches who are also non-religious and who don't look like they have fake profiles, then it probably means eHarmony isn't nearly as right-wing as people make it out to be. I don't know if I'll use the service again. But I think a lot of the urban legends about the company and its founder are based on outdated info.

As for your second point about not being able to search and relying on a computer to do the matching for you, I can understand why some people may not like that. But keep in mind the same thing happens in the offline world as well. A friend or relative who thinks they know you and who would be right for you might try to set you up with them. Just like the computer, whether it's a good match all depends on how well that other person knows you and what they think makes for a good match. I tend to hate setups because, more often than not, the person setting me up doesn't have a clue about me or what person would be a good match for me. At least the eHarmony questionnaire thought to ask things about me that my friends and family would never bother to consider.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:39 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,555,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I think eHarmony has unfairly been branded as a right-wing service because of who its founder is and how it sprung from the Christian community. I read a lot of liberal blogs so I know what people say about eHarmony and Neil Clark Warren. Like a lot of liberals, I had originally dismissed eHarmony because I too thought it had a right-wing agenda and was only meant for Christians. But then I read an interview on one liberal blog where they talked to Warren and asked him about his association with the right, with James Dobson, and why his service doesn't match gays, etc. It was clear that the interviewer had an agenda and was trying to make Warren look like he was anti-gay. But Warren came off looking a lot better than the interviewer. Warren explained that the only reason they don't yet support gay matching is because their research was based on straight couples. But I also read some time later that eHarmony was planning to introduce a service for gays as well. Warren broke ties with Dobson because he didn't care to further his political agenda. What's clear is that if he has any political agenda, his business agenda supersedes it. It should be obvious even to him that there's money to be made in attracting the gay community. And I figure if a liberal atheist like me can get plenty of matches who are also non-religious and who don't look like they have fake profiles, then it probably means eHarmony isn't nearly as right-wing as people make it out to be. I don't know if I'll use the service again. But I think a lot of the urban legends about the company and its founder are based on outdated info.

As for your second point about not being able to search and relying on a computer to do the matching for you, I can understand why some people may not like that. But keep in mind the same thing happens in the offline world as well. A friend or relative who thinks they know you and who would be right for you might try to set you up with them. Just like the computer, whether it's a good match all depends on how well that other person knows you and what they think makes for a good match. I tend to hate setups because, more often than not, the person setting me up doesn't have a clue about me or what person would be a good match for me. At least the eHarmony questionnaire thought to ask things about me that my friends and family would never bother to consider.
Weren't they actually sued because of it (not allowing gays)? I thought I remembered hearing that awhile back, but quite frankly, I'm too lazy to look it up. I'm not actually that familiar with the founder or his views. It's probably not as right-wing as some might think and I'm sure there are plenty of normal people on it.

I guess I've been pretty lucky...nobody has really ever tried to set me up. I'm okay with that. LOL

Old 08-25-2010, 08:43 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:
Weren't they actually sued because of it (not allowing gays)? I thought I remembered hearing that awhile back, but quite frankly, I'm too lazy to look it up. I'm not actually that familiar with the founder or his views. It's probably not as right-wing as some might think and I'm sure there are plenty of normal people on it.

I guess I've been pretty lucky...nobody has really ever tried to set me up. I'm okay with that. LOL
eHarmony caters more to the bald Ed Harrises and "aged maids"

Old 08-25-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
eHarmony caters more to the bald Ed Harrises and "aged maids"
Ummmm....no thanks!

Old 08-25-2010, 10:55 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon07 View Post
What kind of experiences have you had with the eHarmony site. Good, bad, a little bit of both. Let me know.
Never tried E-harmony (I think my oldest sister did though), but I heard that City Data Forums is a good matchmaking site. Post several threads and you'll know exactly who is/isn't your type!

Old 08-25-2010, 11:00 PM

I am every bit as qualified to match singles as some old 386 is.

Stressedcollegegirl....

.....bzzttt.....

you are matched with......

....bzzztttt.....

West of Encino.

Enjoy.

And to prove it's not just hocus pocus...I have just matched Dogwalker with Raena. Awesome.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
I am every bit as qualified to match singles as some old 386 is.

Stressedcollegegirl....

.....bzzttt.....

you are matched with......

....bzzztttt.....

West of Encino.

Enjoy.

And to prove it's not just hocus pocus...I have just matched Dogwalker with Raena. Awesome.
Score.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships