Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 06:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,189 times

Advertisements

She's taking advantage of you. Why would you stay in that kind of situation anyways?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 06:52 PM

826 posts, read 1,893,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
I've been with my girlfriend since December 2012, we moved in together after only a few months of dating. The distance was rough and we both felt strongly for each other and wanted to give it a shot. She was working freelance in her field at the time and wanted to try to get some new clients in my area. She has had a lot of health issues over the past several years and gets tired very easy. This was effecting us spending time together, the amount of time she could work and so on. She was a drug addict for years and has been clean for the past 6, but the drug use must've done some long term damage to her adrenal system. She often sleeps 9-10hrs a night, and will still be tired after what most would consider a fairly simple day. . She often distant and moody, due to stress - it's hard for me to bring a lot of positivity when all this is going on. I feel like I have to live up to her standards spiritually and intellectually or she'll just say it isn't working out after I help her out financially. I think things would be a lot smoother, if I wasn't worrying about all this stuff revolving around money and devotion.

I don't know what to think, I know she really wants to make things work, as do I. I just feel unsure about how to confront her about bills and work. Could use some advice.
OP, you might have to cut your losses on this one. There's a saying "Start how you intend to go on". You've already set a precedent of paying all the bills, taking her on an expensive v-day vacation and letting her get away with not working and you did all of this within a few months of dating!!!. It might be difficult to now get her to start paying bills.

Dating is not a sprint. Get to know someone before you start doing stuff like this.
I second what other posters said about seeking therapy on codependent relationships and having the urge to "save women". This just opens you to be used.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:57 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,451,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay814 View Post
She's taking advantage of you. Why would you stay in that kind of situation anyways?
a five letter word that begins in a P

Old 03-26-2013, 05:02 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,449,916 times
The antidote to AA is ALANON. The non adicted partner goes there, or simply reads the literature on their own. It will tell you how to stop being the enabler in the relationship. Bonus prize: they provide the same spirituality stuff as the 12-steppers.

Just because an addict isn't using a particular substance, it doesn't mean they're not using you.

Personally, I think you need to end things with this woman. What do you get out of it? Don't say it's because she will die or fail without you. That's part of the trap.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:21 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,082,047 times
Quote:
however, when she told me how much money she needed to help cover her bills, I was a bit shocked. I told her I'd help her with what I could, but it's a lot more than I figured
So you agreed to pay her bills before even seeing how much they were?

Quote:
She's also in a bunch of other 12 step programs like Workaholics, Underearners, Overeaters, etc that take up her time
Are you dating Marla Singer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I'd tell her to take 12 steps out the door back to her own place.
You can shut the thread down; this post nailed it.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:49 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,138 times
NEVER financially support someone you're not even married to. Marriage doesn't even wholly justify that type of burden.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:10 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,575,996 times
Just curious, what is your sex life like with her?

Old 03-26-2013, 07:18 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,042,740 times
Addicts are notorious manipulators and users. She may not be using drugs but she still has the drug user mindset.

The nookie has made you stupid.

That is all.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:20 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Just tell her you are not spiritual or enlightened enough for her. She needs a guy who can meet those needs adaquately.

One thing about "moving in", always discuss moving out arrangements prior to moving in...that is one important aspect people tend to overlook. She is there now....and wont go willingly. Time for harshness. Pack her stuff, drop her off at the homeless shelter.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:33 AM

1,977 posts, read 3,577,512 times
Default Ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
Just curious, what is your sex life like with her?

Probably not "that" great if the OP is worried and stressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships