Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 11:36 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by An0nym0us88 View Post
I've got to have the confidence to approach girls, I know they love it, right?
Some do, some don't. We had a thread here where some women said they hate being approached in public. Other women go to the store, the gym, the coffeeshop hoping they might meet someone interesting. We also have had threads here where opinions raged on both sides re: whether women want to be approached at the gym. I think that to some extent, it depends on the gym. Some have an informal "singles" atmosphere, others are oriented toward bodybuilding. But I agree with Liberty that it would be foolish to limit yourself to one venue for approaching women. Sure it's nice to have someone who shares your interests, but I hope the gym isn't your only interest. Women will surprise you; someday you may fall for someone who pushes all your buttons, but has no interest in working out, other than taking a daily walk for exercise, or something. You never know. Be open to serendipity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 12:55 PM

11,794 posts, read 12,028,825 times
Quote:
The reason why it's one of my hobbies is because I love seeing results on my body.

Yeah, it's probably more often than not when it comes to awkwardness. I've been told both ways so I thought maybe it wouldn't hurt to try. They have parties and events at this gym so hopefully maybe they have girls around my age.

Also, I go to Starbucks a lot. Could that work since people go there to study?
Regarding the bolded part...these parties and events sound more like the time you'd want to approach other gym members. That's pretty cool! The gyms around here don't do that.

As for a coffee shop, it's easy to chat with people when you're standing in line, but if they're there studying, I wouldn't interrupt that.

So much of meeting peole is social cues and being aware of location and body language.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:01 PM

About coffeeshops, some people go to the popular coffeeshop or bakery, and park themselves with a book to read, hoping for a spontaneous interaction with someone interesting. Some coffeeshops are THE local hangout for singles. Best to scope out the situation, first.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:49 PM

816 posts, read 1,947,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
About coffeeshops, some people go to the popular coffeeshop or bakery, and park themselves with a book to read, hoping for a spontaneous interaction with someone interesting. Some coffeeshops are THE local hangout for singles. Best to scope out the situation, first.
That's what I've heard. There are tons of attractive girls at the coffeeshops that I could have approach. Got to figure out how to approach them, haha.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:05 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,709,383 times
The best thing you can do is go up and talk to them. The gym is the one place I find it challenging to hit on women simply because everyone is in their own zone, has headphones, and usually wants to be left alone. I am usually one of those people and personally hate people who just stand around and talk at the gym but lets not get off topic.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:11 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,958,363 times
Quote:
That's what I've heard. There are tons of attractive girls at the coffeeshops that I could have approach. Got to figure out how to approach them, haha.
Let me guess. You are on a dry spell of 2-3 months for the first time in almost ten years?
And you think 'something is wrong.'

Something will come along, if you are truely being honest in this thread, I'm sure some woman will chase after you before long. Unless, you have been with enough women that someone everywhere in your area knows about you, and you built up a bad reputation as a playboy, player, whatever.
Guess it depends how big your city is.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
You're standing in line to buy coffee. You're scanning the room. If one of the women looks up from her book or newspaper, smile at her, and see what happens. If the place is crowded, ask her if the table next to/behind her is taken, or if you want to be bold, ask her if she minds if you share a table with you (this is IF you've already gotten a smile from her). If a woman is ordering something at the counter, ask her if that drink/pastry/whatever is good. Say something, anything.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:38 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,158,762 times
Quote:
You're standing in line to buy coffee. You're scanning the room. If one of the women looks up from her book or newspaper, smile at her, and see what happens. If the place is crowded, ask her if the table next to/behind her is taken, or if you want to be bold, ask her if she minds if you share a table with you (this is IF you've already gotten a smile from her). If a woman is ordering something at the counter, ask her if that drink/pastry/whatever is good. Say something, anything.
I don't know, whenever I do this I get really awkward or hostile stares and uncomfortable silences. At the very best I'll get a tight, cordial smile, the one you give usually give a salesman before you tell him to get off your doorstep, and then it's back to their laptops/iPhones/whatever.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:50 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,992,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
I don't know, whenever I do this I get really awkward or hostile stares and uncomfortable silences. At the very best I'll get a tight, cordial smile, the one you give usually give a salesman before you tell him to get off your doorstep, and then it's back to their laptops/iPhones/whatever.
whenever I did this, I got the scrunchy face look, and sometimes that look of disgust, and one time I had stuff thrown at me.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:55 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
good advice-

a guy has to be careful tho, hot coffee to the face or other sensitive areas can be painful

so what advice for reading materials should a guy be reading, to make him look interesting??

readers digest? time magazine? daily paper? hustler?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships