Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 04:02 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
People in my family (two pairs of grandparents, three pairs of great-grandparents, and an aunt and uncle) with the most successful marriage have two things in common: they met before their 20's and married or moved-in soon after meeting each other. People that struggle with their relationships in my family have other things in common, they have ALL went through at least one divorce and they took a long time to marry (one pair even took a DECADE of knowing each other).

I often wonder whether or not the hastily rushed relationship had anything to do with the success and longevity of their relationship. In other words, they all knew they met the one rather early on...
I don't think it's about marrying young per se...It's about being realistic about relationships...which most young people are not, although some are.

I think the divorce rate would be a lot lower if people were more pragmatic and had more realistic expectations (as in, less emphasis on being in love, more on the other facets of life). These blog posts are what I'm talking about:

How to pick a husband if you want to have kids | Penelope Trunk Blog

How to pick a wife if you want to have kids | Penelope Trunk Blog..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 04:05 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
That's what I think. Lucky bastards.
I don't think so, at least not completely. Luck alone doesn't keep you happily married to someone for decades. People in good marriages have certain behaviors/traits....it isn't random.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:22 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,307,278 times
Marrying at any age is a bad move champ.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:45 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
yes its a good idea. the good ones get taken up quickly.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:39 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,845,640 times
For some, marrying young works.

For me, I had two opportunities to get married in my early twenties and I am so glad I did not take them.

One was a great guy, one a not-so-great guy, but either way I was too young and too immature to get married, and I knew it. Really I didn't even know myself yet (who does at 22). I can only imagine what would have happened if I had agreed to marry back then. Apparently I was mature enough to make the right decision

Old 04-14-2013, 09:09 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
People in my family (two pairs of grandparents, three pairs of great-grandparents, and an aunt and uncle) with the most successful marriage have two things in common: they met before their 20's and married or moved-in soon after meeting each other. People that struggle with their relationships in my family have other things in common, they have ALL went through at least one divorce and they took a long time to marry (one pair even took a DECADE of knowing each other).

I often wonder whether or not the hastily rushed relationship had anything to do with the success and longevity of their relationship. In other words, they all knew they met the one rather early on...
Don't rush into anything, Kid. I feel like you're looking for excuses to get married. You're way too young. Trust us.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-14-2013 at 09:36 PM..

Old 04-14-2013, 09:35 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,478,979 times
Quote:

OP, I think most of the time these days things work out the opposite as your described, but when you consider the time in history that you grand-parents and great-grandparents were married was a time where people "just stuck it out" and there were very few divorces and it was really looked down upon. People met or were even matched up and quickly got married and stayed married and raised their families and were together until death. I met a man and we were engaged 2-3 weeks later and married after knowing each other only 4 months. We were married for 24 years, but half of those were miserable ones. I think I would prefer my children to know someone at least a year before they married, but it is all a crap shoot these days.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:42 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,948,979 times
Quote:

That was a different era. Now, marriage is nothing more than a scam against men perpetuated by women and the state.

My advice to any young man considering marriage: Find a woman who you cannot stand, buy them a house, and give them 55% of your income for the rest of your life.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:19 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
That was a different era. Now, marriage is nothing more than a scam against men perpetuated by women and the state.

My advice to any young man considering marriage: Find a woman who you cannot stand, buy them a house, and give them 55% of your income for the rest of your life.
Yeah, tell that to my two female friends who are paying alimony to their ex husbands.

Why not just marry a woman who is as successful as you are and who contributes equally to the household money-wise? Wouldn't that solve your problems?

As for the OP, I think a lot of reasons that those marriages worked out in the past was that people weren't nearly as mobile as they are now. We have basically whatever information we want at our fingertips at all times and we have more opportunity to travel. It's not necessarily seen as a bad thing if someone is single and independent at a later age, but back then if you weren't married by a certain age you were basically shunned. Men and women both can date who they want and aren't necessarily hindered by race or even gender/sex of their partners. There is simply less pressure to get married at a young age and I think that's a very good thing.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:42 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
Yeah, that'll work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships