Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 09:37 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,176,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is sad. What a sad world, if this is the norm.
I don't think it's all that sad, lol
If you only knew what some men have said & done, all because they thought my niceness gave them the
green light in the romance department......
It would make you blush

And btw, it's my nature to be nice, (being a Libra) & I'm just much more reserved & cautious than I used to be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 09:44 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,668,250 times
I think a lot of men do this...... I never did... but I know a lot do......I never usually notice when a woman is being flirty with me... LOL..... I was such a dodo head....

Old 04-14-2013, 09:45 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,144,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
A man's nonverbal flirting.

Smiles
Winks
Leaning in close pretending that you can't hear
Touching the woman's arm or hand.
Helping them out(carrying items)
Accidently bumping into them.
Touching a knee
Hand on the shoulder or back
Except for carrying out items, these are a womans way of flirting.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:03 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Except for carrying out items, these are a womans way of flirting.
I had men do this 6.5. So there!

Old 04-15-2013, 12:36 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,012,788 times
It's one of those areas where it's six of one, a half-dozen of the other rather than it's this OR it's that.

Stan has the right of it: Mostly, it's projection. However, there are loads of other factors at play.

I, for one, cannot read subtle flirtations -- I simply cannot do it; but there are reasons based on social conditioning which inhibit this for me. For one thing I was brought up by verbally/emotionally abusive parents who taught me that I was inferior in looks (one parent) and intellectually (other parent), with the result that well into adulthood I absolutely could not imagine any woman ever flirting with me. Instant negation of all cues.

For another, with the volatile social tides of the past several decades we've had entire generations (at least a couple now) of men brought up with a kind of social fear of women. Before someone goes off the deep end screaming at me, let me assure you this was NOT the work of "all teh evul wimmenz", but the vociferous work of a relative few, whose squeaky social wheels got the social oil. Read "OVERT and PUSHY Feminists, but not all Feminists". It's quite easy to pretend we should always discern, but when a young man has less emotional and social foundation and he encounters a normal woman with Feminist views and a pushy witch who espouses her status as a Feminist, one makes a larger impression than the other, and thus more lasting.

Looks come into play with this as well. There's no need to replay the famed Tom Brady episode of Saturday Night Live, we're all familiar with it; and like it or not, this IS how things generally play out. The best humor is funny that way: It contains enough truth to touch a chord within us.

The immediate and obvious result would be one Tom Brady who gets to LEARN the positive cues because he gets to SEE them, and "inferior specimens by comparison" who do NOT see the positive cues, and thus don't get to LEARN them. I can teach you some basic math on our fingers, but that's as far as you're getting unless I at least draw in the dirt, let alone provide actual course materials.

However, it's not like women really are a lot better. Where projection comes into play (and this is with both, but my examples are women) is when we see what we want to see.

I've known women I've flirted with who later insisted they had no idea. They thought I was a super-nice guy, but flirting? Was he? No, I didn't see that!

They weren't interested in me; thus, my gestures and cues went unnoticed as anything more than what these particular women WANTED out of me, which was for me to be a nice guy.

I've known women with whom I have merely been friendly -- and have found they were later angry with me because I was "toying with their emotions" and constantly flirting but never taking it anywhere, keeping them on the hook for my own perverse jollies.

It goes back to something I said LONG ago in these forums, and it applies to both sexes:

The difference between a prospective mate and a creep/stalker is VERY often less what's actually said and more about reciprocal interest. Two guys (or two women) may behave in exactly the same way and say precisely the same things; but the one in whom you're interested is flirting, while the other one is creepy/irritating.

Exactly the same signals, eyes, subtle cues and subjects of study as those from which either of these articles might derive their "startling new information", just a different angle of observation.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:42 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
How is it any different from a woman assuming the guy is hitting on them every time they start a conversation?

Old 04-15-2013, 03:57 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,723,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elained10 View Post
Yes!!!

I posted about this today, about a guy I was friends with and thought he was gay turned out he wasnt and thought my friendliness was me flirting!! Very embarresing lol
Which planet do you come from?

Old 04-15-2013, 04:50 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Clueless Guys Can't Read Women | LiveScience

A litte interesting article I found.
This is no news.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:57 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
It's one of those areas where it's six of one, a half-dozen of the other rather than it's this OR it's that.

Stan has the right of it: Mostly, it's projection. However, there are loads of other factors at play.

I, for one, cannot read subtle flirtations -- I simply cannot do it; but there are reasons based on social conditioning which inhibit this for me. For one thing I was brought up by verbally/emotionally abusive parents who taught me that I was inferior in looks (one parent) and intellectually (other parent), with the result that well into adulthood I absolutely could not imagine any woman ever flirting with me. Instant negation of all cues.

For another, with the volatile social tides of the past several decades we've had entire generations (at least a couple now) of men brought up with a kind of social fear of women. Before someone goes off the deep end screaming at me, let me assure you this was NOT the work of "all teh evul wimmenz", but the vociferous work of a relative few, whose squeaky social wheels got the social oil. Read "OVERT and PUSHY Feminists, but not all Feminists". It's quite easy to pretend we should always discern, but when a young man has less emotional and social foundation and he encounters a normal woman with Feminist views and a pushy witch who espouses her status as a Feminist, one makes a larger impression than the other, and thus more lasting.

Looks come into play with this as well. There's no need to replay the famed Tom Brady episode of Saturday Night Live, we're all familiar with it; and like it or not, this IS how things generally play out. The best humor is funny that way: It contains enough truth to touch a chord within us.

The immediate and obvious result would be one Tom Brady who gets to LEARN the positive cues because he gets to SEE them, and "inferior specimens by comparison" who do NOT see the positive cues, and thus don't get to LEARN them. I can teach you some basic math on our fingers, but that's as far as you're getting unless I at least draw in the dirt, let alone provide actual course materials.

However, it's not like women really are a lot better. Where projection comes into play (and this is with both, but my examples are women) is when we see what we want to see.

I've known women I've flirted with who later insisted they had no idea. They thought I was a super-nice guy, but flirting? Was he? No, I didn't see that!

They weren't interested in me; thus, my gestures and cues went unnoticed as anything more than what these particular women WANTED out of me, which was for me to be a nice guy.

I've known women with whom I have merely been friendly -- and have found they were later angry with me because I was "toying with their emotions" and constantly flirting but never taking it anywhere, keeping them on the hook for my own perverse jollies.

It goes back to something I said LONG ago in these forums, and it applies to both sexes:

The difference between a prospective mate and a creep/stalker is VERY often less what's actually said and more about reciprocal interest. Two guys (or two women) may behave in exactly the same way and say precisely the same things; but the one in whom you're interested is flirting, while the other one is creepy/irritating.

Exactly the same signals, eyes, subtle cues and subjects of study as those from which either of these articles might derive their "startling new information", just a different angle of observation.
Agreed and also had similar experiences with women aswell, when it comes to gestures and cues.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:51 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,144,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
This is no news.
Agreed, but some people on here try to argue the opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships