Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 07:54 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,444,585 times

Advertisements

After ending a long relationship, is it normal to become slightly promiscuous and sleep around?

I (27m) never once cheated during the 10 years with my exwife, and she was my first GF. However, since then (actually the past 2-3 months) I've been with 6 women I met from dating sites, and have always used protection..

Is that normal and understandable?

Would you think less of a partner you got into a serious relationship with, knowing that's their history?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 07:57 PM

580 posts, read 964,671 times
I say whatever helps you deal. People deal with break ups differently. Also, as I understand it, men are supposed to be culturally promiscuous. I'm not sure if it's true but that's what I've heard. To me it seems normal.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:58 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
As long as you're being safe, getting regularly tested and if the time comes you're willing to commit and not cheat (or just not get into a relationship at all) then I see absolutely no problem with it.

Personally, I don't care what a guys number is as long as he's clean and honest about his intentions.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:37 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Do what's best for you.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:43 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
I think it's a relatively proven method to get our strength and self-confidence back.

No, my wife went through several long (5-10 year) relationships with these kinds of interludes in between. She was perfectly open about it. The more experience you have with the ups and downs of life, the more you can grow from it. In both of our cases, we had gotten a little tired of casual sex when we met and wanted more than sex. It's worked out wonderfully well.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:50 AM

4,868 posts, read 8,408,034 times
eh, we all go through it. Its a great confidence booster when the end of a relationship shatters it. As long as you're safe, you're not hurting anyone.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:52 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
After ending a long relationship, is it normal to become slightly promiscuous and sleep around?

I (27m) never once cheated during the 10 years with my exwife, and she was my first GF. However, since then (actually the past 2-3 months) I've been with 6 women I met from dating sites, and have always used protection..

Is that normal and understandable?

Would you think less of a partner you got into a serious relationship with, knowing that's their history?
I'm assuming that the women you are with know that you are only out for sex at this time. In other words, you're not lying to them or promising them more than you want to give just to get them into bed, right?

RIGHT?

If so, I'll say that it's not unusual and it is understandable. However, it could be that you're not entirely comfortable with it yourself, which is why you're asking here.

Ask yourself why you're doing this. Is it to sow some wild oats before looking for a relationship? Are you lonely? Are you doing it to fill time? Do you feel like you are in control of it? Your answers will tell you whether what you are doing is right for you. Some people can go a little wild, get it out of their system, and move on. Other people end up unhappy or feeling bad about themselves.

But even if you decide you're comfortable with it, at some point you will probably want to slow down, for the sake of your physical and your emotional health. Condoms do not protect against all STDs. You can still get things like herpes and the strains of HPV that cause warts. And you may find yourself wanting a little bit more than just sex. But also, the more people you are with, the greater the chance of you running into a psycho, especially if you don't have a lot of experience with women and are still learning to spot the signs.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:37 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Nope. When I ended my 5 year relationship I made up for it. I was safe and selective.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:50 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
As long as you are safe, have fun.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:18 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
There seems to be an assumption here that getting into a serious relationship necessitates a blow by blow detailed account of one's sexual history and encounters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships