Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 11:52 AM

287 posts, read 237,081 times

Advertisements

My questions: What is the most times you have broken up and got back with the same person? What are some stories of you and your ex breaking up and then getting back together? And what are some stories of how/what you did to make the break up final?

Two things brings this thread to life. One was the "Do you still talk to your ex" thread and the other is an incident last night I had with my ex.

We have been broken up for about a month, then last night she text me needing help setting up a new tv and bluray player she got herself. Well, after I set it up I was hungry, so was she, so we went out to eat. And after a few drinks that we had with dinner we ended up at my place.

She asked to spend the night because it was "hard to sleep in her new place" as she now has 4 roomates. I saw no harm in it until we started to fool around. Now even though we did not go "all the way" we definitely did things that ex'es don't do. Now, I must deal with this issue as I still do not want to get back together with her, and I am afraid she does, and probably will take last night as a mixed message when to me it was just us falling into a familiar pattern that we had for 7 years together.

Your turn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 12:08 PM

1,839 posts, read 3,064,992 times
Well, if you don't want to get back together with her, don't. It doesn't matter her perception of the fooling around the other night. Tell her you don't want to get back together at this time. Be sure you do not want this girl as eventually she will move on. It's only been a month. I'd suggest some space, no contact , no seeing each other for a few months. You both probably need to clear your heads.
And to answer your question, I had one relationship that was on and off from day 1 and lasted 10 years, too many break ups and reunions to count 6 maybe? And the other shorter (but more serious which sounds more like yours) we were on and off 3 or 4 times and been off so long this time that I really am unsure what to think. The future is in your hands. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:38 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,988,473 times

Old 04-18-2013, 12:43 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
I've never gotten back together with anyone lol. I have self respect

Old 04-18-2013, 12:43 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
Eleventy!

Old 04-18-2013, 12:53 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
We are just Facebook friends, live in a small community so we run into each other every once in awhile.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:54 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,602,346 times
1 break up is all it takes. Breaking up and getting back together doesnt seem to work in almost all cases. Its poin tless and a waste of time IMO.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:59 PM

246 posts, read 387,671 times
Getting back together is possible and it sure feels good ... But I think most of the posters are correct in that it rarely works out in the long run ... It can but it takes a lot of trust. My experience is it never has worked although it was worth trying. Once the words "break up" are brought into a relationship that is usually a very bad sign for its permanence.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:11 PM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingWomanMyAge View Post
Getting back together is possible and it sure feels good ... But I think most of the posters are correct in that it rarely works out in the long run ... It can but it takes a lot of trust. My experience is it never has worked although it was worth trying. Once the words "break up" are brought into a relationship that is usually a very bad sign for its permanence.
Yes. My philosophy is if it didn't work out the first time, it's not going to work out a subsequent time, unless the breakup was due to something like geography and someone moved away and back again, as opposed to issues between the couple.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:29 PM

287 posts, read 237,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Breaking up and getting back together doesnt seem to work in almost all cases. Its pointless and a waste of time IMO.
This is our 4th breakup in 7 years. I plan on making this one stick. I am just sad because IF she thinks last night was us getting back together, I will probably have to hurt her again and I don't want to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingWomanMyAge View Post
Getting back together is possible and it sure feels good.
It does, and it did. But it's almost like a trip to dreamland and when you wake up the issues and problems you had before are still there. But it was comforting and felt like all the sad and bad feelings were gone if just for a little while

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastwomanstanding View Post
Well, if you don't want to get back together with her, don't. .
I don't plan to. I was just asking for stories from y'all as I am sure I am not the only one who goes through the breakup/makeup cycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships