Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2013, 11:59 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,972,955 times

Advertisements

So happy I don't live in California or Chicago, if this is the standard list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 12:49 AM

254 posts, read 257,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
This is the point. She's from southern California, her standard is reasonable in my opinion.

I tried to post a message on another forum, one idiot replied, "Your opinion doesn't count because you are from Newport Beach where everybody is a yuppie with sense of entitlement issue."

To me, this is discrimination.
I face similar issues when I am overseas: there isn't as much quantity of good looking girls. The quality or hotness of people in So-Cal is comparable to only a few places in the World. First reason being the diversity: You have every race & mixed races available. The beach/gym culture, where girls are tan year long. You also have a lot of people inspiring to be involved in media, so dressing nice is always a priority.

In the case of females: plastic surgery is also quite common here. Not really my thing (I'm a hairy chested Euro) but a lot of guys here shave their chest etc.

Put all those together and you get a physically conscious society. It's silly to call it an entitlement because ''looking good'' isn't something that just happens. It takes work, planning and money. But it's another story to be rude to others solely based on how they look. That's the glory of the Gym. If all you had to do was workout every once in a while then everyone would look fit and it wouldn't be something to be proud of. Instead being physically fit is just like passing a course in college. Consistent and steady work put in.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:05 AM

4,699 posts, read 4,063,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imdatgirl View Post
I know I'm a bit shallow just like most of the people who are living in OC. My friends said I have high standards and I will end up single for the rest of my life. Aside from having a GREAT PERSONALITY, I WILL ONLY date guys who are:

- educated. He needs to have atleast a college degree. He has to have a great career. So far, I've only dated guys who are managers of their departments.
- tall. Nobody shorter than 5'9. Not taller than 6'2.
- physically fit. He needs to have a nice tight body. He needs to be physically active or working out regularly.
- good looking. This part is self explanatory. Cute face is mandatory. No balding head.

So far, I have no problem finding guys described above. I have actually dated a few of them. I think what I'm looking for is reasonable. I think it's what most of the girls are looking for in a guy. What do you guys think?
As long as you can get guys, then your requirement is reasonable.

But you better have something to offer, because only like 1% off all guys are like that, and they have a lot of options.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:12 AM

4,699 posts, read 4,063,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
You will not marry most likely. An alpha male will date maybe in a relationship with you, but will not exchange vows with you at a wedding. A man will marry B woman, B man will marry C woman, C man will marry D woman. Men marry down and women marru up. Your best bit is probably become an alpha female single mom and throw in the towel.
So you are saying A women don't marry? I disagree, equals marry equals. This is how I believe it works

A man will date A/B woman, but marry a A woman
B man will date B/C woman, but marry a B woman
C man will date C/D woman, but marry a C woman
D man will date a few D women, but marry a D woman

Men tend to marry down in terms of income, but women do the same for looks. Except in America obesity is more of a problem among women.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:50 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,889,620 times
I'm sure you'll meet a man who meets your qualifications. However, I might point out that your requirements are mostly physical. You said nothing about honest, faithful or loving. Those are pretty important factors if you want a permanent relationship. YOu might reconsider putting more emphasis on the qualities you want in a man if you form a permanent relationship. Your criteria sounds more like you're trying to hire a model.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:55 AM

219 posts, read 330,716 times
OP, the first piece of advice I tell my single friends when they ask me why they are still single is to "get rid of your list!" I find that a lot of women make lists while men are generally do not. You do realize that by posting a list like that, every guy on this thread will check to see if they make the cut and you are effectively insulting 99% of the guys here by indirectly declaring that they are not good enough to date you.

There is one thing on any list that trumps everything else: chemistry/compatibility

Here are 2 examples:
1) Guy #1 fits every one of your criteria, however you have no chemistry with him whatsoever
2) Guy #2 fits only 1 or 2 of your criteria, however you have fantastic chemistry with him and you are able to talk to him like noone else in your entire life

Who would you pick?

Here is another one, take a perfect guy who meets all of your criteria, say you get married and have kids and the marriage is great. Fast forward 10 years down the road. Would you be able to go back and say you would not have dated this man if he was an inch short or an inch taller? Or if he was only average looking?

You do not fall in love with a LIST, you fall in love with a WHOLE person, flaws and all.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:56 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,189,452 times
You have a right to have whatever standards you want.

But degree doesn't= intelligence

Old 04-19-2013, 07:11 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,404,709 times
Quote:
I know I'm a bit shallow just like most of the people who are living in OC. My friends said I have high standards and I will end up single for the rest of my life. Aside from having a GREAT PERSONALITY, I WILL ONLY date guys who are:

- educated. He needs to have atleast a college degree. He has to have a great career. So far, I've only dated guys who are managers of their departments.
- physically fit. He needs to have a nice tight body. He needs to be physically active or working out regularly.
- good looking. This part is self explanatory. Cute face is mandatory. No balding head.

So far, I have no problem finding guys described above. I have actually dated a few of them. I think what I'm looking for is reasonable. I think it's what most of the girls are looking for in a guy. What do you guys think?
Maybe you'll come to realize when you love someone and when they love you, all the superficial things (that can change and will with time) will eventually fade away. And the person who treats you right and adds happiness to your life really is more important than what their credentials are and looks, all of which are external. Attributes internal, like integrity are more valuable qualities a person can possess, especially long-term.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:54 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,182,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
So happy I don't live in California or Chicago, if this is the standard list.
Don't do NYC (home of the BBB) either as you'll be disappointed.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:57 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,529,860 times
Quote:

Not a guy, but I think you are young and haven't lived enough. I, too, had the idea that I would pick my male type and find happiness, and then I happened into the path of someone completely opposite in every way that I fell deeply in love with -- though I didn't always like him. We've been together for 27 years and I live a charmed life. I hope your charmed life finds you, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships