Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 12:16 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,661,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineComedy View Post

Don't wait a few weeks.
If you are done with the relationship you are done with the relationship.

The chances of your breaking up with the guy resulting in violence is infinitesimally small.

She IS done, but there is no harm in taking her time letting him know that.

You cannot guarantee her that "your chances of breaking up with the guy resulting in violence is infinitesimally small", so I'd be careful about that.

Last edited by lovesMountains; 04-22-2013 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: fixed it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 12:23 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,311,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You cannot guarantee her that "breaking up with the guy resulting in violence is infinitesimally small", so I'd be careful about that.
You cut the quote in the wrong place. That sentence makes no sense.

Quote:
She IS done, but there is no harm in taking her time letting him know that.
There may be harm in taking her time.
We cannot say with any certainty if they guy is more likely to harm her if she stays with him or if she breaks up with him can we?
Since the probability of him harming her is infinitesimally small either way, it makes much more sense for her to break up with him immediately.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:49 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,169,638 times
Quote:
No, I just think in a situation like this - which the OP got herself into willingly - it would be prudent to exit cautiously.
hiself, not herself. We're both male.

I'm not worried about the violence or stalker possibilities, more the self-harm part. I do feel a sense of responsibility since I did go into this aware of the mental health situation, hence my resistance to just "pulling the plug", so to speak (and I still feel emotionally attached, too, not wanting to do harm to a lover).

Old 04-22-2013, 12:54 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,661,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
hiself, not herself. We're both male.

I'm not worried about the violence or stalker possibilities, more the self-harm part. I do feel a sense of responsibility since I did go into this aware of the mental health situation, hence my resistance to just "pulling the plug", so to speak (and I still feel emotionally attached, too, not wanting to do harm to a lover).
Apoloigies Dayton, I did assume you were a woman

Agree with you that the bigger possibility is harm to HIM rather than to you, so I can appreciate your wanting to do this the best way possible.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:10 AM

11,865 posts, read 16,991,667 times
Bipolar schizoaffectives suffer from a wide range of symptoms. There's no way to know what may or may not happen when you tell him you no longer want to date.

As someone with bipolar schizos in the family, I recommend treating him with care, but not necessarily treating him any different than you would anyone else. Basically, don't be an ahole but let it be known you are moving on. There is absolutely no reason to string him along and, in fact, I believe that would do more harm than good.

Good luck.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:20 AM

Thanks...I am already hinting or letting him know that I will be scarce due to a series of back-to-back trips to Kentucky (which is not an execuse as I had these planned months ago), so this will be a good way to wind it down.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:45 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,242,824 times
I'm not disagreeing with anyone, rather basing my response on personal experience, that worked for me. I was seeing a man, just dating him around the edges, REALLY liked him. But then I didn't hear from him for a few days, so I called him for a change, and asked him about it, and he told me, very simply, "I'm with someone else now." I immediately understood and got over it very quickly. But let us suppose for a mloment that I was a crazy person, and that was said to me. Guess what, the same reaction would happen. You see, what they DON'T know won't hurt them. I wouldn't try to work around an insane person, either, that's cat and mouse with a deadly weapon... him. If he gets to questioning you, you can say, "Well, I just simply like this person more." If he asks if you were seeing this person whilst seeing you, you say, "Now, that's enough, Elmer. I'm with someone else now, and it has nothing to do with you, it's just the way things are. I wish you the best," and then HANG UP. He is not going to freak out or anything. And the less you talk with him, the better. If you all are sharing a household, well, perhaps then lovesMountains has the right idea, tho. SMILE.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:32 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,904,108 times
Send him a letter in a nice card with a puppy on it or something. Stay away from this fellow. There is nothing but trouble ahead with a person like this.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:48 AM

39,169 posts, read 27,558,641 times
This link might be helpful to you OP

How to Break Up With Someone Who Is Threatening Suicide: 7 Steps

My first ex (a wonderful beautiful human being) committed suicide on the same day we broke up. It took me at least 2 years of intense grief therapy to realize I am not responsible for his undiagnosed untreated mood disorder and depression. It has to be the hardest thing I have to endure my entire life.

Don't end up being a suicide survivor like me. If your partner has displayed suicide warning signs, take it very seriously.

Good luck to you.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:41 PM

So far my lover has not threatened suicide, but he did have an attempt in the past (We talked a lot about his history) and his brother recently attempted it (came pretty close to suceeding, too)...so its something I am concerned about. Thanks for the link, lilyflower!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships