Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 07:29 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,714,475 times

Advertisements

It's something to try at least once, if only for research-purposes.

My guess would be that the more organized dating venues, such as speed-dating, would attract a somewhat older crowd... late 20s through early 40s. The younger set would (one supposes) meet in college or through mutual friends. As in most situations, the larger cities offer better options. If you're in LA, NYC, Chicago and so forth, speed-dating would be an especially worthwhile try.

Best of luck, OP, and please be sure to tell us how you fared!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 09:51 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,671,795 times
Most speed dating events specify age ranges for each gender but they aren't enforced. Still, if you sign up for an event for women 20-30, you are not likely to meet any 40 year old woman.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:11 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Default I'm thinking about trying speed dating.

What's your rush?!

Anyways, I hope it works for you.

Yes, you may find individuals on round two in their late twenties or early thirties but give everyone a chance.

Like job interviews. Least you can walk away with is experience for the next one.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:12 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,162,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillReignin View Post
The reason being that I have troubles sometimes in the approach/small talk stage of talking to a girl but once I get past that, I'm a lot more confident and comfortable. I think I would be very comfortable and confident in a setting where I knew all the girls there are to meet somebody and plus I am pretty good at selling myself in a short conversation - I can usually generate rapport with people within minutes of talking to them

My 2 concerns are my age - I'm 24, will everybody there be at or near 30? I would like to aim for women around 23-28 years of age. My other concern is are the women there really serious about finding somebody? Are they just there to kick dirt and hope to find Mr. Perfect or do they have reasonable expectations?
The age range depends on your city and the demographics the organizer is focusing on.

One protip I'll give you know to not bother with speed dating events where the women stay put and the men play musical chairs. I forget the scientific reasoning behind it, but just know that it trips a psychological mechanism that makes the women perceive the men as chasing them, which causes a detrimental perspective and just makes things all that much more difficult. It's not something people consciously pick up on so they won't even realize it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships