Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 10:02 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,897,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Nothing worse than putting up "in a relationship" and then having to switch it to "single" and getting all the attendant comments. "OMG, what happened?" "Are you all right?" "I never liked him anyway!" Etc.

Who needs the added drama?

Yeah I've seen that play out, seems pretty weird.

Especially when some of these people have 700+ friends, seems odd to be that public with your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 10:11 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,154,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Oh good grief. There are quite a few people who have stated previously that many users of this forum have certain issues that relegate them to spending more time in this forum talking about relationships rather than actually being in them, and I can see why. If somebody really thinks there's some great harm to, as a common courtesy, letting others know you're currently involved with somebody, why even bother with wedding bands? I'm almost afraid to ask that and see what you people have to say. BTW, did it occur to some of you that it's perhaps inappropriate to "friend" a female acquaintance who may be in a "private" relationship and potentially cause complications with that relationship? No, I suppose it wouldn't to most of you...

Buh-bye...
So you are right and every single other person on this thread is wrong? Got it!

I have no idea what people who aren't my friend see when they look at my relationship status. Nor do I care. Because they AREN'T MY FRIENDS!!! I don't owe people who aren't my friends on the internet any courtesy.

Stop being such a spoiled sport. She isn't single. And it's not HER fault.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:13 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Quote:
Oh good grief. There are quite a few people who have stated previously that many users of this forum have certain issues that relegate them to spending more time in this forum talking about relationships rather than actually being in them, and I can see why. If somebody really thinks there's some great harm to, as a common courtesy, letting others know you're currently involved with somebody, why even bother with wedding bands? I'm almost afraid to ask that and see what you people have to say. BTW, did it occur to some of you that it's perhaps inappropriate to "friend" a female acquaintance who may be in a "private" relationship and potentially cause complications with that relationship? No, I suppose it wouldn't to most of you...

Buh-bye...

With my first husband I never had a wedding or engagement ring either. Just wasn't important to me.

I'm doing EVERYTHING wrong.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-25-2013, 12:35 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,956,730 times
Quote:
Some time ago, I was interested in certain somebody, only to find out that they were in a relationship and had been for six months, though that information was made visible only to her friends. Why would somebody do this, unless she was simply embarrassed about who she was dating, right? I mean, doesn't it defeat a major point of Facebook to hide that information?
although I'm mid 30's and not the hippest person out there, the following IME;

Anytime a man or woman hides their relationship status on facebook, they are hiding it for a reason.
The whole privacy excuse is garbage.
They are basically hoping something better comes along, and if it does, they don't have answer the "your FB says your 'in a relationship'. Whussup with that?"

If your married it may be different, but I cant think of one person on my facebook that is in a relationship but doesnt post 'in a relationship', 'married', whatever.
Only the playas (men & women) hide their status to the world.
Most people don't advertise 'single', but once the relationship becomes exclusive, a FB status update follows.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:46 PM

11,784 posts, read 12,020,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post

Anytime a man or woman hides their relationship status on facebook, they are hiding it for a reason.
They are basically hoping something better comes along, and if it does, they don't have answer the "your FB says your 'in a relationship'. Whussup with that?"

If your married it may be different, but I cant think of one person on my facebook that is in a relationship but doesnt post 'in a relationship', 'married', whatever.
Most people don't advertise 'single', but once the relationship becomes exclusive, a FB status update follows.

I scanned my whopping 44 friends on FB, and some that are married don't list it, those in relationships don't all list it. I didn't have a relationship status at all until I got engaged. Heck, my SO listed himself as "single" until we got engaged, and he's no "playa".

I feel sorry for people who think the world revolves around FB and even not being on someone's friend list entitles them to any information about that person.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:04 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,154,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post

Well, I disagree with you but you misunderstood the OP. The woman wasn't "hiding" her relationship status - it was visible to her friends. I mean, the whole point of Facebook is to keep in touch with your FRIENDS - not complete strangers.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:07 PM

19,695 posts, read 20,218,442 times
I do hide my relationship status for certain people, lol.

But that's probably for different reasons...

Old 04-25-2013, 01:09 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,470,523 times
Quote:
Some time ago, I was interested in certain somebody, only to find out that they were in a relationship and had been for six months, though that information was made visible only to her friends. Why would somebody do this, unless she was simply embarrassed about who she was dating, right? I mean, doesn't it defeat a major point of Facebook to hide that information?
Someone might hide the fact that they are in a relationship on Facebook because they want to appear to be single and free and attract member of the opposite sex to them. They may also just be a person that is very private and only wants friends to know.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:44 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,505,101 times
True players never post their relationship status on FB.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:20 AM

1 posts, read 14,117 times
Mine sais single and I get asked out all the time. I'm n a spot where it's not my choice to change it. I'm waiting for him to deside when He wants to change it or not. Ya I keep settings asked out by other guys and I know He gets asked out by girls. But I love him enough to trust and believe in him that he won't cheat on me. Sometimes I feel as if he's ashamed to admit we r together but I say nothing about it cuz I love him enough to wait for him to deside if I'm the one for him or if he wants to move on. Yes it will hurt me for him to do my kids an I like that but I don't want to push him into anything. I want him to love me like I do him an not b the clingy nagging girlfriend that guys hate. So not everything is as it seams. When ever a guy asks me out I tell them strait up I'm with someone an when they ask y I don't have it posted I tell them I'm waiting for him to deside If he loves me or not. As for what he tells all the girls. Well I don't know but I do know of one that wanted to date him an he let me respond to her. I think in a way that's one step closer so it makes me feel a little better. I don't sneek around an check his fone so if he sent her messages after that I don't know but I do know how I feel about him and I've waited a long time to finally have him n My life so I know we'll enough to give a man his space an let him deside if he loves me the way I do him. Him An my kids mean the world to me and I pray I never loose that. I also thank the Lord everyday that I still have that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships