Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you date anyone in high school?
Yes 58 59.18%
No 40 40.82%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 05:08 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayN View Post
Why shouldn't I say what I think? You always have the ignore list.
Because I don't think it's honestly what you think. I think you are just trying to get attention. I'm too curious a person to put people on ignore. You'll realize one day that negative attention isn't the same as positive attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 05:09 PM

677 posts, read 1,193,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Because I don't think it's honestly what you think. I think you are just trying to get attention. I'm too curious a person to put people on ignore. You'll realize one day that negative attention isn't the same as positive attention.
If I think dating in HS is pathetic, that's what I will say. If that's trying to get attention, so it be.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:12 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,157,561 times
I think high school relationships may appear vapid but they are fairly important because they are the first baby steps we make on the road to dating successfully in our adult lives, barring very conservative cultures where you just marry as early as possible. It's better to fail miserably at relationships in high school than not have them at all, because at least you will learn something from those failures.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:16 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I had a similar high school experience, but one day I fought back. It didn't get me dates, but it stopped the bullying.
I fought back as well.

It got my car keyed and it also got me physically held down and my hair cut off.

I ended up dropping out and finishing up school early in continuation. That's what stopped the bullying.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:16 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
I think high school relationships may appear vapid but they are fairly important because they are the first baby steps we make on the road to dating successfully in our adult lives, barring very conservative cultures where you just marry as early as possible. It's better to fail miserably at relationships in high school than not have them at all, because at least you will learn something from those failures.
I agree. I think everything feels more dramatic and has less depth in high school than later in life - but those relationships are definitely stepping stones to later relationships. I learned so much from my high school boyfriend in terms of relationships. And we're still really close friends to this day!

Old 04-24-2013, 05:20 PM

677 posts, read 1,193,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
And they are really great in getting people away from their studies and failing to get a degree as well.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:21 PM

156 posts, read 317,979 times
I had one "relationship" my freshman year of high school, but the whole thing was a joke and I don't really count it. Other than that, no way. I was overweight, ugly, and socially awkward when I was high school. It never would have worked out in retrospect.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:44 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,054 times
Wow, I had no idea there were so many people who went through their whole teenagerhood without dating.

Do y'all think the poll results are representative of the broader population? Or do people who hang out on relationship forums have less RL experience? Or are people whose answer is 'no' more likely to click on the poll?

Old 04-24-2013, 05:45 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,054 times
Oh, and my teenaged relationships were not vapid, nor were they failures. We were into tantra and stuff like that.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:57 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Wow, I had no idea there were so many people who went through their whole teenagerhood without dating.

Do y'all think the poll results are representative of the broader population? Or do people who hang out on relationship forums have less RL experience? Or are people whose answer is 'no' more likely to click on the poll?
I think people mature at different rates and some may have still been in that 'ugly duckling phase in high school. I'm a very odd case since I didn't even begin puberty until close to the end of high school (medication issues delayed it) so I basically looked like a teenage boy until I hit my very late teens and early twenties. It was weird going out to buy my first bra with my Mom at 19 years old

I don't think as many people dated in high school as movies/shows etc. seem to think. I only had one real friend in high school, but I had quite a few outside of high school and none of us really dated during that period. We were all good friends (guys and gals) but no dating except for maybe the cutesy holding hands for 2 weeks relationships.

My brother had a girlfriend all through HS, but he was also a really popular athlete so that was kind of a given. I showed goats in 4H and played D&D. Not super popular
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships