Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 09:51 AM

8 posts, read 8,958 times

Advertisements

For some reason this has been on my mind a lot. Marriage isn't even a big deal to me, I'm not the type to fantasize about it at all, and yet here I am. Mostly I doubt my bf is prepairing to make a proposal. But these things make me wonder;

-he reacted strongly and affectionately to me wearing white one day (could just be a coincidence)
-he suddenly seems to care about making a good impression on my mom (dad's not in my life).
-he holds my hands a lot (out side, in the car, across the dinner table when we're out to eat).
-the ring I usually wear has been missing for about two weeks
-and he's the commitment/responsible type

I'm not in any hurry for either, but it would be reassuring that I'm not just going crazy here, and jumping to conclusions. For one, I don't think our lives our ready for marriage. I don't know if that matters much in a proposal? On the other hand I pretty much believed he was "the one" from the start and so did he. We've been together less than a year.

So am I crazy or what? What have your experiences been?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 10:16 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
Here's a novel thought...why don't you ask him.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:21 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
If you know you are not ready for marriage, why don't you drop hints? So you can save him the embarrassment if he REALLY plans a proposal?

Suggestion: Make up a friend who married somebody and say "oh, they were only together for a year. I am not sure if that is the right thing to do. I would wait AT LEAST ... years/months until I would marry anybody".

I can imagine that somebody who makes a proposal is very vulnerable at that moment and a negative answer might cause extreme insecurity/problems/whatever. So try to spare him that, if you can.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:33 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
If you are not ready it would be a good idea to talk about it.

If he IS the one then I don't see anything wrong with a long engagement.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:50 AM

Oh-eve thanks for your reply

I'll clarify a bit. I'm in no real hurry for marriage. In part because I have no interest in traditional wedding ceremony's. The other reason, being that when the time comes that I might get married I want to be able to put in 50% of the work and responsibility. I don't want to burden my partner with my debt and lack of career etc. That being said, it will be long time before I'm "ready." However, I'm 100% devoted to him and would accept a proposal if one came about, it would just be a LONG engagement. Either way I feel very secure in my relationship and could live with or without either.

I'm simply annoyed that I can't get the idea out of my mind. And wondering if its logical to make these assumptions that my S.O. could be thinking in this direction. Or if I'm being dellusional. If i am being dellusional, than perhaps its more important to me than even I realize (which I find mind-boggling).

Old 04-24-2013, 10:54 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarsandcents View Post
Oh-eve thanks for your reply

I'll clarify a bit. I'm in no real hurry for marriage. In part because I have no interest in traditional wedding ceremony's. The other reason, being that when the time comes that I might get married I want to be able to put in 50% of the work and responsibility. I don't want to burden my partner with my debt and lack of career etc. That being said, it will be long time before I'm "ready." However, I'm 100% devoted to him and would accept a proposal if one came about, it would just be a LONG engagement. Either way I feel very secure in my relationship and could live with or without either.

I'm simply annoyed that I can't get the idea out of my mind. And wondering if its logical to make these assumptions that my S.O. could be thinking in this direction. Or if I'm being dellusional. If i am being dellusional, than perhaps its more important to me than even I realize (which I find mind-boggling).
Replace the thought of marriage with something more constructive like how to get rid of your debt, obtain a career etc. So maybe you will one day be a suitable prospect for someone to consider marrying. For now, I'd say let it go and focus your energy and attention on something else, something more productive.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:06 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarsandcents View Post
For some reason this has been on my mind a lot. Marriage isn't even a big deal to me, I'm not the type to fantasize about it at all, and yet here I am. Mostly I doubt my bf is prepairing to make a proposal. But these things make me wonder;

-he reacted strongly and affectionately to me wearing white one day (could just be a coincidence)
-he suddenly seems to care about making a good impression on my mom (dad's not in my life).
-he holds my hands a lot (out side, in the car, across the dinner table when we're out to eat).
-the ring I usually wear has been missing for about two weeks
-and he's the commitment/responsible type

I'm not in any hurry for either, but it would be reassuring that I'm not just going crazy here, and jumping to conclusions. For one, I don't think our lives our ready for marriage. I don't know if that matters much in a proposal? On the other hand I pretty much believed he was "the one" from the start and so did he. We've been together less than a year.

So am I crazy or what? What have your experiences been?
Cute. Very cute. I would suggest to you to think about something else but I doubt you will listen.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:29 AM

Thanks findly185 and srjth!!!

I'm actually very focused on trying to better my future. This was all i could think about before I met my S.O. and now he drives me with the urge to succeed even more (without any judgement or say on his part). We're both always talking about wanting to work at or improve our finacial matters to have a better future for the both of us I'm definitely plugging away at it

In the mean time of making my monthly payments and getting the help I need so I can finally finish school my mind cant help but wander off to where my achievements might take me.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:34 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
like you im not totally interested in the whole ordeal of a wedding and all that. however i've only been with my boyfriend a few months and i know we both want to get married. we will say stuff like "i cant wait to spend the rest of my life with you" and we are very in love. just enjoy the moment and let him know yu're serious about being with him without pressuring for a ring or anything

Old 04-24-2013, 12:53 PM

Oh no..that's not my style at all. I'd rather he do so at his own free will when he feels is right. I won't even talk about that stuff with him. We've used the whole "can't wait to spend my life with you" thing a couple times, but that's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships