Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 07:06 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
That's just a bonus though. I am the child of a man that didn't.
You shouldn't assume that all men don't pay child support though or that all men do. It's case by case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 09:55 PM

93 posts, read 234,347 times
I read about a case where the boyfriend was made by the court to pay child support because he had been living with his girlfriend and had been treating her child by another man like his own. After they broke up she got child support on the ground that he was the de facto father and the child's life style needed to be maintained.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:00 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pflau View Post
I read about a case where the boyfriend was made by the court to pay child support because he had been living with his girlfriend and had been treating her child by another man like his own. After they broke up she got child support on the ground that he was the de facto father and the child's life style needed to be maintained.
So the moral of the story is not to interact with the kid?

Old 04-25-2013, 10:21 PM

348 posts, read 549,952 times
Matt Damon married a single mother yes? Are you better than Matt Damon ?

Jokes aside, I haven't read this thread, but I hope it's not a lets-bash-single-mothers thread.

If she's your type, then go for it. As someone said, every single mother is different. They're like any other person, looking for a good partner. Very few are looking for a guy to pay for their kid, in fact, I'd say the ones that do would be looking for a sugar daddy regardless.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:21 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Precisely. Not every man would be THRILLED to hear that you are pregnant due to the fact that one of you forgot to use contraception.
I am the product of my parents using two forms of contraception. My brother was born even though my Mother was told she was sterile. My cousin was born after his mother had her tubes tied.

Contraception isn't 100%, not even sterilization unless it's a hysterectomy.

Just as an FYI, unplanned children DO happen even when you're being safer. That's why they call it safer sex, not safe sex. If you're having sex, or plan to in the future, you could easily become one of those statistics.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:41 PM

297 posts, read 502,656 times
I think you are worrying about things way before you need to since you just met her today. Most single mothers won't let you meet or have anything to do with her kid for a while and then only if the relationship is very serious. I say see how it goes with her before worrying about supporting a family! Who knows, you may not last 2 dates.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:06 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
It depends on her circumstance. Contrary to popular belief, every single mom is different.

Things you should find out before jumping to conclusions:

How old is the child?
Is the father involved? How involved is he?
Is she looking for a dad for her child or would she prefer for you to be hands off?
Is the child taken care of already financially?
How much time alone will she have with you and when?
What kind of relationship is she looking for?
Does she want more children?
I was thinking the same. I had to rep you. However with me when a relationship developes with a single mom I tend to ask her certain questions thats if the relationship progesses. Its best not to try to make the single mom guilty or seen as irresponsible. Overall I agree with you, the op will have to find some stuff out during the course of dating. Single moms are no different from childless women. Hell I met some single moms who are picky, shallow and high maintenance.

Quote:
Today I talked to a beautiful young lady who turned out to be a single mother. This fact was revealed as something rather a matter-of-factly. She seems to be my type, and I did tell her that we should get to know each other.

My gut instinct is telling me to be very cautious, but I know a number of single mothers on C-D say that they would make great partners.

...so, besides the potential financial expense that one will have to be ready to take on...

...what are the merits and pitfalls of dating single mothers?
Their is and are plenty of different dynamics for dating a single mom, like are you going to see her often, going out on a date might t involve her and her kids, are you ok if the babies father comes around, her kids come first and never you. She has to make time for you, so anything spontaneous is out the window. The list goes on, on and on. Me personally I dated a couple of single moms and currently have one pursuing and also one Im currently courting but most likely will bow out of courting her. Hell I even had a lady near my job who wanted to set me up with her hot, sexy Puerto Rican milf daugther who is a single mom of two kids. I can not do it and I prefer to have kids of my own instead of a blended family. Just the other day I was with a single mom who I dated her son hugged me real tight, even her baby daughter is cute, but I just can't date women with kids anymore, unless if its only one child. Sometimes I get the impression that mosy of these women ate looking for a father figure for their kids which they do need for child hood development. But me when it comes to dating single moms, Id be very cautious and see how the relationship developes between you, her and her kid or kids. Who knows she might not like you and not prefer to date you. She will also give it time before you ever meet her kid. When you do meet her kid, bring a small token or something for the kid.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:33 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Today I talked to a beautiful young lady who turned out to be a single mother. This fact was revealed as something rather a matter-of-factly. She seems to be my type, and I did tell her that we should get to know each other.

My gut instinct is telling me to be very cautious, but I know a number of single mothers on C-D say that they would make great partners.

...so, besides the potential financial expense that one will have to be ready to take on...

...what are the merits and pitfalls of dating single mothers?

My buddy is dating a single mom, she doesn't ask for money and doesn't expect to be supported. She wasn't a ****, she slept with one other guy in her life. Finished her bachelors and is working in a hospital now.

That being said, dating a girl with a kid would absolutely suck. Kids are annoying, and almost everything you do has to be centered around them. I could never handle anything like that.

If you can get past dealing with children and/or enjoy them, there are tons of great single moms out there. The way people look down on them on this messageboard is flat out ridiculous, because most of the ones who are simply not moms are probably worse people and get around even more.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:35 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pflau View Post

I really doubt this one.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:40 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
OP if you can handle the issues then go for it. However be advised she MIGHT have drama and financial problems that will affect your life, like expecting you to support her and her kids. This isn't every single parent of course but many. The best thing though is to ask her these questions, such as about the father, is he involved, does he pay and everything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships