Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 03:50 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
Just to clarify, I was thinking church because you'd think there'd be more family-minded people going. Frankly, at this point isn't that the whole point of church?, essentially a "breeder" social club? (not to use the term "breeder" derogitoraly - but you know, people who don't make a point of claiming they're atheist and don't scoff at conservative values/traditions and believe in raising a family).

With regards to the church, I'm in a weird place. I prefer to think rationally/practically, like an engineer in a way, so I'm not actually religious. But I do believe in having BELIEFS. And I believe strongly in family and community (I'd love to have a community for once, it's something I've not actually experienced, it seems to be gone from American blue state/urban areas). I KNOW I want to raise me some kids with a wife.

So one thing I was thinking of was trying one of these Relevant Churches.
Atheists breed too, don't they? At least they seem to on this forum.

The point of Christianity is to love your neighbor as yourself, and love God above all. The OLD Testament said, "Be fruitful and multiply," but Jesus likes single people too.

Honestly, don't look at church as a vehicle to "get a woman." Look at it as a place to worship your God and be in fellowship with other people.

What the heck is a Relevant Church??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 03:55 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,099,087 times
If I met my wife through a church I'd feel obligated to the church. I myself went to Sunday school, and expect to send my kids there, at the very least as a cheap theological literature class.

I will always celebrate Christmas and Easter, just because they're freaking awesome.

I respect religion and conservative values, and believe the Bible is definitely one of the better religious books/religions out there.
I even believe in a higher power of some sort.

It's just that people who are seriously into it, or discussions about theology and stuff make me go "ughhh" because they're ultimately nonsense when they're the weird "nature of god stuff" and some of the more conrete things are bad advice. Like, I don't care about every little last thing Jesus said, and universal, unilateral forgiveness is a bad idea for a person to engage in and can turn him outright loopy, and there IS such a thing as a gay person, so maybe homosexuality acts aren't a sin, and I don't think it's necessarily a sin to have sex before marriage, etc.

To put it short, I like the interpretations/beliefs of the methodist church, if any, except that they go overboard and are a bunch of commie liberals and claim the bible says that's right.

So lifestyle wise I think the Christmas/Easter thing is the only REAL thing, and I'd do it even if I married a different religion (we'd do it sort of a-religiously). The only thing I DON'T want is some "Jesus Freak" (I don't want to knock them, but I don't know a better term) shoving like SERIOUS religion down my kids' throat

Old 04-29-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
If I met my wife through a church I'd feel obligated to the church. I myself went to Sunday school, and expect to send my kids there, at the very least as a cheap theological literature class.

I will always celebrate Christmas and Easter, just because they're freaking awesome.

I respect religion and conservative values, and believe the Bible is definitely one of the better religious books/religions out there.
I even believe in a higher power of some sort.

It's just that people who are seriously into it, or discussions about theology and stuff make me go "ughhh" because they're ultimately nonsense when they're the weird "nature of god stuff" and some of the more conrete things are bad advice. Like, I don't care about every little last thing Jesus said, and universal, unilateral forgiveness is a bad idea for a person to engage in and can turn him outright loopy, and there IS such a thing as a gay person, so maybe homosexuality acts aren't a sin, and I don't think it's necessarily a sin to have sex before marriage, etc.

To put it short, I like the interpretations/beliefs of the methodist church, if any, except that they go overboard and are a bunch of commie liberals and claim the bible says that's right.

So lifestyle wise I think the Christmas/Easter thing is the only REAL thing, and I'd do it even if I married a different religion (we'd do it sort of a-religiously). The only thing I DON'T want is some "Jesus Freak" (I don't want to knock them, but I don't know a better term) shoving like SERIOUS religion down my kids' throat
Sounds like you really don't want church, since the "religion" part of it is the whole point. From what you've written, you just want to do the secular stuff (Easter bunny vs. resurrection). Which is fine, just know that going in.

So no, I don't recommend church as a place for YOU to meet women.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:05 PM
M45

405 posts, read 653,871 times
No, I won't find what I am looking for there.

I'm in the middle anyway.

I don't lean to either side.

I don't want a churchy church gal that's a prudy.

I don't want a cult follower either.

Meet me in the middle.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M45 View Post

I don't want a churchy church gal that's a prudy.
We aren't all prudes, you know.

We just don't always advertise it.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:09 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
People who want to go to church to socialize, but aren't particularly religious, tend to go to churches like the Unitarians, that take a more ecumenical approach to spirituality, or churches that have a social/political action component, and that sort of thing. It seems like a good way to meet like-minded people.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:12 PM

Yeah, but that's the thing, I have trouble believing all those people are that RELIGIOUS. Nobody REALLY strongly follows every tenant or even knows the bible that well, at least here in New Jersey where I am. It seems like, like I said, a social club for family-oriented people.

I know I'm not the only one who's thought of it like this. See: the movie "Dogma", especially the scene where she calls the church her "Catholic social club" or something like that

Outside of the church, it seems like it would be hard to meet someone who is otherwise traditional/conservative and takes marriage and child rearing seriously. Seems like the other kind of person in my generation are the hipsters who go out drinking till 2 AM. May seem like a simplistic exaggurated dichotomy but I fear it may be more apt than any of us would like to believe.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:14 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
Just do it and see what happens. Why talk yourself out of it beforehand?

Old 04-29-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but that's the thing, I have trouble believing all those people are that RELIGIOUS. Nobody REALLY strongly follows every tenant or even knows the bible that well, at least here in New Jersey where I am. It seems like, like I said, a social club for family-oriented people.
NOBODY?

I guess you've never been down south. I know some Methodists who are very seriously into the teachings of Christ and try very hard to live like he said. They also can be very tolerant and pretty fun.

A LOT of people think they're really great Christians and following Jesus when in reality they are using church as a social club and as a way to feel better about themselves, or get a "spiritual start" to their week.

But just because you don't trust that people are serious in their pursuit of faith doesn't mean they aren't.

It helps if you look at church as a building full of sinners trying to do better rather than a building full of saints trying to lord it over everyone else.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
People who want to go to church to socialize, but aren't particularly religious, tend to go to churches like the Unitarians, that take a more ecumenical approach to spirituality, or churches that have a social/political action component, and that sort of thing. It seems like a good way to meet like-minded people.
OK, yeah... That's why I was saying maybe the Relevant Church
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships