Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 01:39 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,200,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
6'1" and 210 is not chunky
Unless you are a muscle man, yes, it is. That's 20-30 pounds overweight even for a large frame, so a man that height and weight size should be pretty ripped. The ideal weight for a man who is 6'1" and average build is in the low 170s.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/bmi_tbl.htm

http://www.clevelandclinic.org/healt.../1000/1059.asp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 02:03 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,994,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Actually, good meat doesn't need spices to be delicious. Same with veggies as well... I rarely put any spices or flavorings on the meat we had freshly butchered at my house and the veggies we picked from the garden. They simply didn't need anything additional to make them taste good.

However, chicken soup without chicken is just soup.

And I love peanut butter I don't really consider myself a foodie but even the biggest food snob probably won't turn down a pb&j sandwich on some white bread. It doesn't have to be fancy to be delicious
Good meat still requires some seasoning, and some cuts of meat benefit from being marinated in something over night. You can't tell me this is wrong, because I know better!

When I cook steak, which in the past year has been New York strips, simple seasoning makes all the difference in flavor. Salt/pepper both sides is a must, and you could also add more seasoning to it if you wish, but over-seasoning steak really takes away from the meat's flavor. A simple marinade for chicken gives it more flavor and helps keep chicken breast from drying out.

As for Veggies, I've grown my own gardens full of tomatoes, potatoes, and green beans. Now I know green beans taste perfectly fine without anything, but there's a reason why we would add bacon, or a ham bone and/or ham to beans!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Because we're all married.
This makes me mad!

Old 04-30-2013, 02:06 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
OP you could meet a woman who was not initially a foodie and cook with her to see if she develops an interest.

That being said, if you are looking for a partner, you'll have to decide which qualities are most important and go from there. Not every woman will have all of the qualities you seek, like the desire for long walks on the beach, or to be a foodie.

I agree that you could meet someone who is not a foodie and could become one. To each their own but I would never dismiss an otherwise wonderful person because their taste buds, and food preferences don't match mine.

As an aside, I've always thought "long walks on the beach" referred to time, not distance...

Old 04-30-2013, 02:09 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I agree that you could meet someone who is not a foodie and could become one. To each their own but I would never dismiss an otherwise wonderful person because their taste buds, and food preferences don't match mine.
You know, you'd think that, but sometimes it's hard to be with someone who only eats cheeseburgers and thinks what you cook is "weird."

Old 04-30-2013, 02:13 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,994,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You know, you'd think that, but sometimes it's hard to be with someone who only eats cheeseburgers and thinks what you cook is "weird."
So true. If you like going to different places and trying/cooking different food, you can't date someone who isn't at least willing to try them with you!

I dated someone who only liked eating at specific food places, who only ordered one specific dish from those places, and I couldn't cook anything too different because she would refuse to eat it, and then go to Taco Bell and eat there. Made me so frustrated at times!

Old 04-30-2013, 02:16 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,099,291 times
Quote:
Unless you are a muscle man, yes, it is. That's 20-30 pounds overweight even for a large frame, so a man that height and weight size should be pretty ripped. The ideal weight for a man who is 6'1" and average build is in the low 170s.

NHLBI, Obesity Guidelines - Evidence Tables

http://www.clevelandclinic.org/healt.../1000/1059.asp
Like I said, the BMI statistics are loony.
In REAL LIFE, this isn't how most people are.
I remember reading a quote on one of those thick-women blogs I posted, "People don't even know what real people look like anymore" (presumably because of media). So please don't be like that.
The actual statistically significant cutoffs for comorbidities are much higher fat levels than the authorities claim. Their numbers represent lower risks, but with much less of a correlation in comparison.
Fat on the body is necessary and part of normal functioning.
My hypothesis is they'll find it serves even more of a role than they realize now. It must be used by the organs during periods of stress or something. See: the fact that while skinneir people have fewer heart attacks, people with some fat on them survive them better, and see: the recent discovery of brown fat on the body.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:24 PM

In fact, 170 pounds for 6'1" sounds pretty slim (for a man)
I think my slim buddy is that height/weight

Old 04-30-2013, 02:27 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,200,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
Like I said, the BMI statistics are loony.
In REAL LIFE, this isn't how most people are.
I remember reading a quote on one of those thick-women blogs I posted, "People don't even know what real people look like anymore" (presumably because of media). So please don't be like that.
The actual statistically significant cutoffs for comorbidities are much higher fat levels than the authorities claim. Their numbers represent lower risks, but with much less of a correlation in comparison.
Fat on the body is necessary and part of normal functioning.
My hypothesis is they'll find it serves even more of a role than they realize now. It must be used by the organs during periods of stress or something. See: the fact that while skinneir people have fewer heart attacks, people with some fat on them survive them better, and see: the recent discovery of brown fat on the body.

In REAL LIFE there is an epidemic of type 2 diabetes--you know, the kind caused by obesity?--and heart disease that is causing this nation billions of dollars in health care and lost work time, not to mention the untold toll in human suffering. Those weight charts are based on and backed by solid scientific evidence amassed over generations, research that makes the link between obesity and any number of health conditions very clear. I'd stake my career on it. It's not about fashion or what is "real." Right now, what is "real," meaning what is common, is UNHEALTHY.

I can point you to dozens of studies that lay it all out that when people of X height reach X weight, their risk for X disease goes up X percent. Same goes for weight loss, that when people of X height who are overweight or obese lose X percentage of their body weight their risk of X disease goes down X percent.

Start with these.

The Epidemic of Obesity

Physical Activity, BMI, and Diabetes Risk in the Physicians' Health Study - Journal Watch (General)

Diabetes Prevention Program - National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse

The bottom line is that you need to stop spreading misinformation.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:38 PM

I'm not spreading misinformation

there is no "epidemic", as that's an objectively defined term, and what we have doesn't match an "epidemic"

and repeated authors have wrote on the subject that the BMI scales and what the authorities claim is ridiculous
again, try again, pay attention, there IS less comorbidities at the fatness levels the CDC claims is ideal, but it's much less stronger at that cut-off. Raise the cut-off, and you see a much more meaningful correlation. A paunch on a 45 year old guy is kind of unavoidable, for example, and all data says that it doesn't actually raise his chances for a heart attack THAT much. His age creates most of the risk.

US obesity problem overstated | World news | The Guardian

Is The Obesity Epidemic Exaggerated?

And I can't find a link, but there was a NatGeo article on it (I read it in my copy of NatGeo)

If having a BIT extra fat is THAT bad for you, then I guess we're all screwed, becuase there really isn't much we can do about it, a LOT of people will tell you that getting rid of a BIT extra fat, is DAMNED hard. In fact, it's been proven that there is a "cut-off point" where the body significantly shuts down the metabolism below certain levels of fat, and some people's cutoff point is high (compared to the CDC's recommendations)

Old 04-30-2013, 02:45 PM

48,521 posts, read 34,843,322 times
I'm gonna disagree on the height/weight thing. DH was (before injury), 175 and 5'7, which sounds overweight.

He had to pass rigorous physical fitness tests (strength and endurance), at two jobs no less, PLUS you had to be under a certain BMI, PLUS you have to pass all the blood work....

He was in no way unhealthy.... and honestly, he looked slammin'.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships