Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 12:39 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,623,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Actually, they (euro men) associate it with youth since blond hair grows in darker as people age. And since men are sexually attracted to youth, they are naturally sexually attracted to blond hair.
Yes, people usually associate lighter hair with younger age (except gray/white color!). All folks in my family had very blonde hair in young age. It either gets brownish-yellow or it turns more in a chestnut color, or darker. It's very common in Europe.
Blonde girls who don't color their hair are usually of younger age. On the other hand, you can usually spot if someone's hair is bleached or not, so I don't know about this "younger" thing in case of hair dye. I'd say that reddish variants make you spotted much easier though, if that's your intention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 12:43 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,950,844 times
I have jet black long hair and get lots of compliments on it. I dye it black because I want to.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:55 PM

5,886 posts, read 10,501,711 times
Not totally related to the OP question, but have you girls found that dying your hair blonde makes you look YOUNGER? I mean, i know quite a bit of women in their 30s that were brunnette or brown haired and dyied their hair blonde and suddenlty it softened their features and they look younger. Does anyone else have seen this too?

It wouldnt work for me anyway cause im a brunette and my face wont go at all with blonde hair, it would look fake and tacky, plus, i love being brunette, i look very young and dont need a "younger" look at all. But a lot of woman who are aged and look kinda saggy as brunnetes/browns, have imrpoved quite a bit with the blonde look.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:59 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,204,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Not totally related to the OP question, but have you girls found that dying your hair blonde makes you look YOUNGER? I mean, i know quite a bit of women in their 30s that were brunnette or brown haired and dyied their hair blonde and suddenlty it softened their features and they look younger. Does anyone else have seen this too?

It wouldnt work for me anyway cause im a brunette and my face wont go at all with blonde hair, it would look fake and tacky, plus, i love being brunette, i look very young and dont need a "younger" look at all. But a lot of woman who are aged and look kinda saggy as brunnetes/browns, have imrpoved quite a bit with the blonde look.

No because like you, blonde wouldn't work for me and imo, if a woman is going to dye her hair blonde then the eyebrows need to be dyed too. Wouldn't work for my complexion. Washing the gray makes me look younger and having good genes. The women on my mother's side age nicely. I've seen brunettes go blonde. If you have bad skin, wrinkled skin, it doesn't matter what color your hair is.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:53 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,290,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post

I don't think that would work for me. I have noticed that when I get a new haircut I seem to look better. When my hair is all one length and long it feels like it is dragging me down. When I add layers it seems to lift me up.

I have pretty good skin and don't smoke, so that is good. I will be 40 this year.

My sister has lifted her haircolor and I think it probably does make her look younger. I have not seen her natural dark brown color which is like mine for many years. At this point, all of her hair is grey and she colors it between a light brown and dark blond.

I have never thought it was very suiting to her, but I think I am just used to her with the brown.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:16 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,580,565 times
Ooh, now this is my kind of thread

I've had my hair colored every color in the rainbow, from bright pink to black. I definitely got a lot more stares as a blonde (both obviously fake blonde and 'natural' blonde) but it's just too much maintenance and my skin tone isn't quite suited to it. My Mother is a natural redhead, my Dad has jet black hair and I ended up being born a blonde. As the years went on my hair grew into this horrid mousy brown color that just looked unkempt and then in my early teens I started going grey. That's when the hair dye experiments started.

I've been a faux redhead for around 6 years now and I experiment a bit with different shades and highlights. I'm lucky that I got my Mother's complexion and can pull off being a redhead. My poor sister has tried it, but she got my Father's skin and looks washed out.

I will say that I get far less attention being a redhead than I did with any other color (barring the pink, green, blue etc.) but I love the color and don't plan on changing it anytime soon

Old 05-02-2013, 03:23 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,869,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've heard a number of women say that when they temporarily went blonde, life changed radically. Before blonde, they were pretty invisible to men, but suddenly with blonde hair, they got a lot of attention. All of them went back to their natural color, though, because they prefer to be natural.

I know my sister died her hair blonde about 3 years ago, and has refused to go back to brown. For whatever reason that may be, I don't know. Honestly, I think she looks better with blonde hair but maybe I'm just used to it.

Me? I usually prefer girls with black hair.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:03 PM

5,654 posts, read 5,143,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Actually, they (euro men) associate it with youth since blond hair grows in darker as people age. And since men are sexually attracted to youth, they are naturally sexually attracted to blond hair.
"they (euro men)" do do they? an expert on 'euro men' then are you? Excellent! Please, feel free to draw upon your obvious expertise and carry on telling me what I think..... no, don't be shy now, please, do carry on.....

I await with bated breath.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:17 PM

102,126 posts, read 107,381,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
I believe men associate platinum blonde hair to women we perceive as being very sexual, such as Marlyn Monroe, Pamela Anderson, Anna Nicole Smith, and pretty much every other blonde that has ever been in Playboy Magazine.

It's probably why the expression "blondes have more fun" was created.

Dying hair blonde is the equivalent of getting a breast enhancement.

It sends out a message of sexuality
OK, so are we throwing this theory out the window, then?

I thought blondes were popular in ancient times because they were associated with the Sun cult. But I wouldn't be surprised if Playboy et al. provided a modern-day booster shot to an old ingrained preference.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:53 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,755,140 times
I am going to buy a purple wig, because I love purple, but it didn't occur to me I might get more attention. When I do it, I will see and then post back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships