Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 06:22 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times

Advertisements

Today I talked to a beautiful young lady who turned out to be a single mother. This fact was revealed as something rather a matter-of-factly. She seems to be my type, and I did tell her that we should get to know each other.

My gut instinct is telling me to be very cautious, but I know a number of single mothers on C-D say that they would make great partners.

...so, besides the potential financial expense that one will have to be ready to take on...

...what are the merits and pitfalls of dating single mothers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 06:27 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Today I talked to a beautiful young lady who turned out to be a single mother. This fact was revealed as something rather a matter-of-factly. She seems to be my type, and I did tell her that we should get to know each other.

My gut instinct is telling me to be very cautious, but I know a number of single mothers on C-D say that they would make great partners.

...so, besides the potential financial expense that one will have to be ready to take on...

...what are the merits and pitfalls of dating single mothers?
Doesn't all dating come with financial expenses???

Old 04-25-2013, 06:30 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
It depends on her circumstance. Contrary to popular belief, every single mom is different.

Things you should find out before jumping to conclusions:

How old is the child?
Is the father involved? How involved is he?
Is she looking for a dad for her child or would she prefer for you to be hands off?
Is the child taken care of already financially?
How much time alone will she have with you and when?
What kind of relationship is she looking for?
Does she want more children?

Old 04-25-2013, 06:31 PM

324 posts, read 441,131 times
Yea this one just a slightly more.

You just have to be ok with the child. And baby daddy visit time and what not

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
I meant the part where you marry and take on the role of supporting a family sooner than usual.

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
It all depends... like how old are you? Can you afford the babysitter, extra plate at dinner, extra ticket for the movie... the kid movie? Are you a starving college student? High-schooler? What's mom's situation with the kid's dad?

In general, I always advise a single childless man not to do it.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
It depends on her circumstance. Contrary to popular belief, every single mom is different.

Things you should find out before jumping to conclusions:

How old is the child?
Is the father involved? How involved is he?
Is she looking for a dad for her child or would she prefer for you to be hands off?
Is the child taken care of already financially?
How much time for you will she have and when?
What kind of relationship is she looking for?
Is it a man's business to ask though? I'd assume that you would find the answers to these bit-by-bit over time...

Old 04-25-2013, 06:33 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,996,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
I'm pretty sure he was talking about beyond dating and getting more serious, and taking on the child, which is an additional expense to him.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:35 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
I meant the part where you marry and take on the role of supporting a family sooner than usual.
Okay...but you are talking about dating someone.
I guess it seems rather premature to even consider this until you know if you actually LIKE the person enough to be in a relationship with them. Even then...that's not something you would need to consider until you were contemplating marriage.

You are putting the cart way ahead of the horse here.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
It all depends... like how old are you? Can you afford the babysitter, extra plate at dinner, extra ticket for the movie... the kid movie? Are you a starving college student? High-schooler? What's mom's situation with the kid's dad?

In general, I always advise a single childless man not to do it.
Single childless man with a job lined up after graduating in less than 2 weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships