Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 04:48 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,861 times

Advertisements

Clearly, the art of conversation is a dying art!

I cannot believe people would seriously hang up the phone or terminate a date if they were asked some of these fairly innocuous questions.

Sheesh, if I was on a date with someone who didn't ask me stuff about my midterm and long term goals, what I was doing with my life, etc, I'd assume they weren't very interested in me.

There's another possible reason for asking the b-day question. If your birthday was somewhat recent (last few months) it's natural to ask what you did to celebrate. The answer can be very telling! For example, you might hear the following answers:

"My buddies and I went to Vegas for the weekend to party"

"I went to visit my best friend in New York. She got broadway tickets and took me to an amazing restaurant"

"I didn't do anything; I was working 90 hours a week last month"

"My nephews wanted to throw a surprise party for me; so I played along."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 05:23 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,604,665 times
I mostly dislike these types of question and almost always steer the convo into something more interesting and unusual. It is so common to go on the first date, and feel like youre being interviewed for a job because of these oft repeated questions. WHat do i do for fun? Hopefuly you, in about an hour or two.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:45 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,994,484 times
I don't think I was ever asked these questions like this in the past when I had dates.

I think if I was asked these questions straight away, I'd just reply with a jackass answer, because these questions are boring.

What do I Like in a girl? Me.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:50 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,723,439 times
I like to ask questions about family, friends, the "growing up years", their home towns and then favorite books, films, music and hobbies. I also like to talk about clothes if they have a different "style". Earliest memories are also an interesting topic for me, too. I have always liked girls who come from different backgrounds than mine. I never ask questions about jobs. If someone, anyone, asks me what I do on a first or second meeting, I say I have an "indoors job". If they ask if I went to college, I say "a couple of times". Getting people to talk about pets also reveals a lot about them.

I mean, why talk about things that don't show your interest in the person's life?

Old 05-06-2013, 04:43 AM

1,341 posts, read 1,627,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
I mostly dislike these types of question and almost always steer the convo into something more interesting and unusual. It is so common to go on the first date, and feel like youre being interviewed for a job because of these oft repeated questions. WHat do i do for fun? Hopefuly you, in about an hour or two.
No.... I usually ask them to send their CV on mail (and I'll often pretend I never read it, and then I check if they brought a printed version, then I ask them to "read" it, check their reactions, etc), then I analyze their own qualifications in practice. I also give them a task to solve via mail before they get to a live interview and then I check out how creative they are in solving it, how skilled they are while solving it and how they act on response times and stuff like that. Their worst thing is not if they haven't finished it (no, not at all), but if they try to cheat me on an interview by having someone else do their job... and I will find it out.
When I interview people directly, I also sometimes ask them about their holes in their CV (periods during which they were out of workforce after they got fired, very useful to see their character in such a bad situation) and I do pay attention on the time they're out of workforce lately (if they are unemployed and come to an interview) because of many thing that the "recent 1-2 year employment" implies with itself.
On top of that, I might ask them to describe themselves with just x number of words (i.e. 5) and see how well they cope with it. I'll evaluate their ability to talk, comprehend and most importantly to do the practical tasks that they'll be doing. My former company had HR evaluating it, but most of the HR staff have no clue of practical work, which is why it's very important to have someone of full trust and a practical knowledge in the job that they apply for. I'm currently evaluating it by myself but I include other few workers whom I employed and ask for their opinion as well. That's how I usually interview and evaluate people on my job interview. If they have a strong recommendation of people I know, it's a huge plus.
There are many other things, none of those are "a must" and interview is more of my "creative way" to check out someone's true skills, so there should be no clear procedure EVER, because people will adapt to an interview. It's mostly about having fun while interviewing, gathering genuine information about the applicants, and evaluating their skills, I'm not the boring type or an outdated secretary machine when I do an interview

I don't recall myself doing a "job interview" of THAT type with my date But yeah, it was often a type of review if they'll be a suitable spouse or not. I gave up on direct approach because, like I said, people are just going to play along to their benefits and start with deceiving tactics, so it's counter-productive more often than it can be useful.

Last edited by nald; 05-06-2013 at 04:59 AM..

Old 05-06-2013, 10:59 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,983,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Not so, I like to look it up for fun (the compatibility). I don't get why some of you are so quick to write people off for one question. Anything you assume about her is just that, an assumption, why would anyone make decisions based on that?
what assumption? i don't like astrology and don't want to date someone who believes even the smallest bit of that nonsense. the person has just revealed a fundamental incompatibility between us. it's a great reason to make a decision. it'd be foolish not to. one person's "fun" is another person's "oh god, not this sh*t again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't get why
because astrology is retarded. if some fundy chick started talking about how the earth is 6000 years old i'd stop taking her seriously too

Old 05-06-2013, 11:07 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,138 times
Talk to me about sports, food or sex and I'll be smitten. I don't want to talk about family, don't want to talk about girly nonsense. I appreciate a guy who can deviate from the normal path-which normally turns me off and will insure that I don't make plans with you further.

Last edited by findly185; 05-06-2013 at 11:27 AM..

Old 05-06-2013, 11:26 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,200,884 times
My five most annoying:

5. Have you ever dated a younger man/older man/black man/Asian man/Martian like me?

4. When was the last time you had sex?

3. How many people have you slept with?

2. Why did you get divorced?

And the most annoying question ever:

1. How come you never had/didn't want kids?

All of these are either trite, ridiculous for my age, or just plain no one's business in the first few dates, if at all.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:37 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
My five most annoying:

5. Have you ever dated a younger man/older man/black man/Asian man/Martian like me?

4. When was the last time you had sex?

3. How many people have you slept with?

2. Why did you get divorced?

And the most annoying question ever:

1. How come you never had/didn't want kids?

All of these are either trite, ridiculous for my age, or just plain no one's business in the first few dates, if at all.
Please don't tell me someone actually asked this on a first date???

Old 05-06-2013, 01:19 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post

1. WHAT DO YOU LIKE TO FOR FUN
Heaven forbid someone interested in spending time with you would want to know if you like to do the same things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships