Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 03:01 AM

580 posts, read 965,078 times

Advertisements

Hmm. I always wanted to go to California.

In all seriousness, good luck out there. May you have better luck wherever you are than I could ever have.

Tips...can't really think of anything much. Gague the person you're dating. Everyone is different. If there is chemistry go for it but be careful it's not just physical chemistry. Be prepared for rejection. (Although, judging by the profile pic, you may not have to worry about it as much as other people. you are pretty.) Be prepared for heartbreak. Be prepared to find a bunch of toads among the frogs. I believe opposites attract but only if they compliment themselves nicely.

Going by Patti Stanger's 10 commandments via The Millionaire Matchmaker - Photo Gallery - Bravo TV Official Site:

1. Return calls promptly
2. Honor dating commitments
3. Let the man take the lead/ no personal baggage
4. No speaking of other romantic relationships
5. Be engaging
6. Don't drink too much (she has two drink minimum at her mixers)
7. No gold-digging/worrying about how much the guy makes (her show is The Millionaire Matchmaker. She sets up millionaires but it's pretty good advice for the regular people as well. I watch the show to kind of get little tips on how to go about dating and a few things. At least to gain some kind of perspective.)
8. Act like a lady (gentleman for the guys out there)
9. If interested, express interest
10. No sex before monogamy

Of course, I have never tried any of these before because, I haven't had the chance to go on any dates. Well, the closest thing to a date was this one time when a friend took me out to dinner and then drinks at a bar across the street. I wouldn't call it a date though since she had a boyfriend already and she paid me for cleaning her patio (no double entendre intended). we talked about why him a little. Anyway, it's also a good idea to remember that everyone is different so everyone has different dating styles and tastes in the opposite sex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 03:13 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylu View Post

In all seriousness, good luck out there. May you have better luck wherever you are than I could ever have.

Tips...can't really think of anything much. Gague the person you're dating. Everyone is different. If there is chemistry go for it but be careful it's not just physical chemistry. Be prepared for rejection. (Although, judging by the profile pic, you may not have to worry about it as much as other people. you are pretty.) Be prepared for heartbreak. Be prepared to find a bunch of toads among the frogs. I believe opposites attract but only if they compliment themselves nicely.

Going by Patti Stanger's 10 commandments via The Millionaire Matchmaker - Photo Gallery - Bravo TV Official Site:

1. Return calls promptly
5. Be engaging
7. No gold-digging/worrying about how much the guy makes (her show is The Millionaire Matchmaker. She sets up millionaires but it's pretty good advice for the regular people as well. I watch the show to kind of get little tips on how to go about dating and a few things. At least to gain some kind of perspective.)

Of course, I have never tried any of these before because, I haven't had the chance to go on any dates. Well, the closest thing to a date was this one time when a friend took me out to dinner and then drinks at a bar across the street. I wouldn't call it a date though since she had a boyfriend already and she paid me for cleaning her patio (no double entendre intended). we talked about why him a little. Anyway, it's also a good idea to remember that everyone is different so everyone has different dating styles and tastes in the opposite sex.

might be some good points here- but chemistry either takes over- or it doesn't...the first time meeting can get very deep- if conversation is flowing well.....
first dates are like interviews, for the 2nd date

Old 05-10-2013, 03:24 AM

246 posts, read 387,804 times
Quote:

1. Return calls promptly
5. Be engaging

Good list, but #4 is typically violated for us middle age daters. I want to know early on the person's relationship history. That doesn't mean I need intimate details, but things like how many marriages, how did they end, was it amicable, etc. Same for LTRs.

There are red flags for me. For example, if a marriage was bad from the get go or there is a lot of lingering anger, especially years later. I've seen these issues recently in several dates and they're indicators of the future. I know from experience.

#2 is important to me too. If she's late on the first date it's usually bye bye. Some dates think that's cute.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:49 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,995,568 times
Quote:
I know an awesome woman there who I'm guessing is about your age, if you need a potential friend .
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Who you?
::laughing::

No, not me. I don't live in SD, tho I would happily be your friend anyway .

Old 05-10-2013, 11:57 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,823,403 times
It's simple: be yourself! There is a very lucky guy out there somewhere, take your time and enjoy yourself.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:02 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,711,627 times
Have fun!

Old 05-10-2013, 12:04 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,482 times
Quote:

1. Return calls promptly
5. Be engaging

I've watched the show a few times, it can be kind of a train wreck. A lot of times there is no chemistry.

The actual millionaires(men and women), often tend to be jerks. It is funny she has these rules when she knows some of her clients can't possibly follow them.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:27 PM

362 posts, read 560,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
"9 months of my life I'll never get back."
Sounds like your saying you wasted 9 months of your life
I am. Not that I'm bitter about it.

It's just that at this stage (age) in my life, time is a precious commodity.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:49 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
Quote:

1. Return calls promptly
5. Be engaging

Interesting. lol I suppose it helps that on her show both sides get these rules ahead of time so they know them, they just have to follow them after that. In real life dating it doesn't go like that. Every person has their own rules and it's not always easy to get in the same page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
::laughing::

No, not me. I don't live in SD, tho I would happily be your friend anyway .
Deal! (and thank you)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
I've watched the show a few times, it can be kind of a train wreck. A lot of times there is no chemistry.

The actual millionaires(men and women), often tend to be jerks. It is funny she has these rules when she knows some of her clients can't possibly follow them.
I've seen the show before too and what I mostly remember is seeing the men and understanding why they were still single and needing her help. lol

I also remember not seeing much chemistry between couples either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLgirl727 View Post
I am. Not that I'm bitter about it.

It's just that at this stage (age) in my life, time is a precious commodity.
Are you trying to have kids or referring to a biological clock? Men don't really have this sort of pressure.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:51 PM

580 posts, read 965,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post

I think they do that for ratings. They show mostly train-wreck dates to make it interesting for the viewer. As for the rules, I try to keep an open mind. I don't think they need to be followed completely. I do, however, like the no sex before monogamy and the two drink minimum. It's good to get to know the person before getting into bed with them and everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships