Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 08:49 PM

290 posts, read 567,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Yes the court will honour the note, so should he. It's a legal document.

I'm kind of confused..you say you have no proof, but the note is proof?
I said I have no OTHER proof except the note, a copy of check for 6K and a credit card bill for 2K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 09:05 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missganda View Post
I said I have no OTHER proof except the note, a copy of check for 6K and a credit card bill for 2K.
So you have physical evidence of $8k debt, and an acknowledgement from him of a total $15k debt which also amounts to evidence.

All good.

Now you need to ask him for it and give him a timeframe in which to get it to you.

If he doesn't pay, what you have is sufficient to start legal actions and win, on the face of it at least.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:18 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missganda View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
So you have physical evidence of $8k debt, and an acknowledgement from him of a total $15k debt which also amounts to evidence.

All good.

Now you need to ask him for it and give him a timeframe in which to get it to you.

If he doesn't pay, what you have is sufficient to start legal actions and win, on the face of it at least.
This isn't CSI or anything along those lines... Your burden of proof is simple and straight forward. It isn't hard to prove. The important piece you need and claim to have is a signed note that he repays you.

Let me make this simple. If you want I can even get the crayons out. Ask him if is he able and willing to repay you. Give him the total and accept payment. If he is unwilling, then yes take him to court. The amount isn't that much and you could likely settle the issue in small claims court. It depends on the cap for small claims action.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:19 PM

426 posts, read 558,855 times
can i borrow 15k?

Old 05-10-2013, 11:03 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,994,575 times
FYI, when I got together with my ex, his previous gf owed him $7k. She did eventually pay him back, many years later after she got another degree and a better job. Not all ex's are deadbeats or dishonorable people.

The 'waiting for you to tell him the amount' part, though, really sounded to me like the sort of BS someone spouts when they are not necessarily intending to never pay you, but have it very, very far down their priority list. Very far.

That's why I was suggesting the DIY garnishment and stuff. Also, IME, involving pretty much any third party helps. A mediator is great, but his boss or even his mom might be helpful He might think of you as a pushover but not want to embarrass himself in front of others.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:51 PM

1,841 posts, read 3,173,646 times
Directed towards the Op..
I know your hesitance to pursue a lawsuit however you were clearly taken advantage of...
I would discuss with him...Including:
1. Making a copy of the note and any other receipts and so forth
2. A list of things you recall helping him with
2. Reminding him of the time frame

If he does not agree to the amount take him to court, you have enough for a recovery and retainer fees.
Shop around for the best lawyer possible...
You may not end up with the original amount owed after lawyers fees are taken out but at least you will get some back..

Old 05-11-2013, 05:23 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Get real... he's not going to willingly pay you back. How much can you prove he owes and are you willing to go after him legally ?

I'd bet he's still broke. The odds are that BF has burned you for a nice chunk of money.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:47 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,105,040 times
Stick with the amount on the paper and when his time is up, file suit.

He is your ex and he is taking advantage of you.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:10 AM

307 posts, read 630,961 times
Go with the amount on the promissory note. You will probably have a lot better luck collecting in payments; I doubt he has $15,000 sitting around. I would figure out a 3 to 5 year payment amount that includes some interest, and then offer him the option of $15,000 now or a monthly payment of $X for three to five years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships