Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 08:38 AM

597 posts, read 1,146,793 times

Advertisements

FYI: This is long

I am asking this question as a senior in high school.

From my perspective it appears that athletics play a major part in the lives of many young people today. This seems to be true for both guys and girls, but particularly guys.

I am asking this question today; because I appear to be one of the few young men who does not take an active interest in sports. The extent of my athletic experience is limited to some YMCA league games in grade school.

This is not to say that I do not have interests. I have always had a fascination with machinery and mechanical equipment, and have decided to pursue a career in building operations/engineering. I took my interest to another level this summer by pursueing an apprenticeship in this field. My goal is to enter the field fulltime after graduation, in two weeks.

I also take a wide interest in history. It may seem very unusual for someone my age, but I enjoy doing research on various events in history. This may stem from the fact that my father has been a social studies teacher for many years now. As someone who lives in the DFW area, I am currently researching the JFK assasination (on my own time) as we approach the fiftieth anniversary of 11/22/63.

Other interests I have include; reading (mysteries), traveling, family, and city government (I am considering running for city council in the future). Additionally, I enjoy catching a good movie, and volunteering for my church (civic responsibilities/involvement are important to me)

Is it highly unusual that I do not take any interest in watching sports on TV, attending games, or playing a sport for school or a club? I realize I do have unusual interests for someone my age, but they are fulfilling to me as a person (which I believe to be important).

Please answer my honestly. This is an important question, due to some important information I recently received.

It has come to my attention, that the sister of the girl (she is a freshmen, at another school) I am attracted to is now dating a guy. When I asked, someone what this individual was like as a person; the description I was given listed everything I am not.

While this guy is also a freshmen he is taller than I am, and very athletic. Apparently, he is an excellent basketball and football player. He also has an great sense of humor and personality. Additionally he is very attractive physically, (which I am not).

While I consider myself to have a good sense of humor and personality, I am incapable of measuring up to the rest. While this is the sister of the girl, I am interested in; this still worries me as most sisters seem to share everything. Additionally, they also seem to like similar guys.

Given, what I have said here do I have a chance? In my opinion, it is far too late to try and pick up a sport. This would be acting out of sheer desperation.

Please give me your honest opinion. All advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much!

Best,
JW

Last edited by Jay Watson; 05-11-2013 at 08:52 AM..

Old 05-11-2013, 08:41 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,855,773 times
I married a guy who is only a very passive sports fan at best. He knows a few players and will watch a game (football mostly, some baseball) but sports are way down on his list of things he cares about.

I always found the jock guys to be jerks for the most part...but I was one of the geek girls.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:43 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,311,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Watson View Post
Would you ever date a guy that wasn't interested in sports?
Me? no.
Some women? Yes.
Some men? Yes.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineComedy View Post
Me? no.
Some women? Yes.
Some men? Yes.
Interesting.

Exactly why is it so important to you personally?

I am curious.

Best

Old 05-11-2013, 08:51 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,064,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineComedy View Post
Me? no.
Some women? Yes.
Some men? Yes.
Agree.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:53 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,311,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Watson View Post
Interesting.

Exactly why is it so important to you personally?
I'm a guy.
I'm unlikely to date another guy regardless of his interest in sports

Old 05-11-2013, 08:57 AM

213 posts, read 376,844 times
I am totally disinterested in sports and so is my husband. Never been an issue for me. I would rather have my guy paying attention to me than the TV.

My 22 year old daughter would definitely date a guy who is not interested in sports. Her current boyfriend doesn't care about sports.

My 25 year old son is totally disinterested in sports and has never had any problems finding girlfriends.

So there you go...........

Old 05-11-2013, 09:00 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,387,108 times
I can see that a High Schooler posted this question.

Because an adult couldn't care less.

In the scheme of relationships, whether a person likes sports is so low on the list it's laughable. How about physical attraction, kindness, sense of humor, common interests, mutual intelligence and similar lifestyle philosophies? When you get older, you'll realize that being interested in sports (or not being interested) in utterly immaterial in founding or maintining a long-lasting relationship.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I can see that a High Schooler posted this question.

Because an adult couldn't care less.

In the scheme of relationships, whether a person likes sports is so low on the list it's laughable. How about physical attraction, kindness, sense of humor, common interests, mutual intelligence and similar lifestyle philosophies? When you get older, you'll realize that being interested in sports (or not being interested) in utterly immaterial in founding or maintining a long-lasting relationship.
Agreed.

Yet, it seems many social events revolve around watching a game.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:19 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
I actually prefer a guy who's not that interested in sports. And if he plays sports, that's preferable than a couch potato who schedules his life around when the game is on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships