Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 07:37 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,031 times

Advertisements

So I had to go to Best Buy to pick something up that I misplaced. I was looking for it in the wrong aisle when a Blueshirt came up to me & asked if she could help me. I told her what I was looking for & she directed me to the section, I picked out what I wanted immediately & was about to head off to the cashier when she asked me if I'd like her to ring it up for me. (Has Best Buy always done this or is this something new? I hadn't noticed before)

Anyways, I say "sure" and now I actually pay attention to who she is. She's a moderately attractive facially, but seemingly shy (due to the modulation of her voice and intonation, according to my ears) girl with a great body. Seemed to be a "scene" girl with tattoos and stuff, but tastefully done. We walked up to the random cashier's desk and made a bit of small talk. I asked her where she was from & she told me that she was a half-and-half of my 2nd favorite Asian ethnicity & a Caucasian and told me where she was born & grew up, whereupon I deduced that she was an Army brat & we had a short conversation about that.

The transaction was rung up & off I went with a friendly "bye". I went around on some stuff and when I found out my mom was home from work, the kids & I went out with my mom for a bike ride around the neighborhood and a chat with one of our best friends who just happens to be our neighbor. (We were friends before we were neighbors. Funny how that kind of thing tends to work out)

I was discussing my Best Buy trip with my mom when she reminded me that I should have bought something else for an upcoming trip of ours (Disney Cruise Line to the Caribbean! I'm so psyched! ) So after we got home, I changed my sweaty shirt & went back to Best Buy. It's literally a 4-minute drive if the traffic lights are timed right, so it's no big deal to head over there. Well, on my way through the store to picking out this forgotten item, I casually lock eyes with the girl & think about having her ring up the transaction since she seemed to be rather friendly & totally cute.

However, her reaction, in my eyes, said otherwise. She gave me one of those extremely awkward smiles that people who seem to be kind of uncomfortable would give in an attempt to be polite. You know what I'm talking about. It wasn't a normal, friendly, welcoming smile. I got a little skeeved/creeped out by it (even though maybe I shouldn't have) & changed my mind and had someone else ring up the transaction.

After I was walking out of the place, I gave it some thought & I decided that she had obviously remembered me, but maybe the fact that I had changed my shirt and showed up relatively soon after (this was about an hour/maybe 90 minutes after my first visit that day) made it seem like I was stalking her or something? I'm not sure, I don't know what the hell women think. Maybe I should have had her ring up the transaction anyways and made some more small talk, but her reaction just seemed to have unnerved me enough to ignore her.

What do you guys think of the situation? Sorry it's a long post. It's been a while since I had a situation like this....

Have a great day, y'all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 07:44 PM

332 posts, read 435,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
After I was walking out of the place, I gave it some thought & I decided that she had obviously remembered me, but maybe the fact that I had changed my shirt and showed up relatively soon after (this was about an hour/maybe 90 minutes after my first visit that day) made it seem like I was stalking her or something?
Yep. And it made it seem that you aren't that confident in yourself.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:45 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
Wow, you really gave this a lot of thought.

The two things that stood out for me:

You have a second-favorite Asian ethnicity?

You thought this was in some way germane to your story:

Quote:
I went around on some stuff and when I found out my mom was home from work, the kids & I went out with my mom for a bike ride around the neighborhood and a chat with one of our best friends who just happens to be our neighbor. (We were friends before we were neighbors. Funny how that kind of thing tends to work out)
I think that sums up your problem with this woman and with women in particular.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:50 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
Quote:
long story

What do you guys think of the situation? Sorry it's a long post. It's been a while since I had a situation like this....

I'm sorry, that's not a situation, this is:

Old 05-15-2013, 08:03 PM

607 posts, read 855,836 times
This is the weirdest post on this site. And incredibly poorly written, and difficult to follow.

A girl said hi to you at best buy. big whoop.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:04 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,345,409 times
Quote:
So I had to go to Best Buy to pick something up that I misplaced. I was looking for it in the wrong aisle when a Blueshirt came up to me & asked if she could help me. I told her what I was looking for & she directed me to the section, I picked out what I wanted immediately & was about to head off to the cashier when she asked me if I'd like her to ring it up for me. (Has Best Buy always done this or is this something new? I hadn't noticed before)

Anyways, I say "sure" and now I actually pay attention to who she is. She's a moderately attractive facially, but seemingly shy (due to the modulation of her voice and intonation, according to my ears) girl with a great body. Seemed to be a "scene" girl with tattoos and stuff, but tastefully done. We walked up to the random cashier's desk and made a bit of small talk. I asked her where she was from & she told me that she was a half-and-half of my 2nd favorite Asian ethnicity & a Caucasian and told me where she was born & grew up, whereupon I deduced that she was an Army brat & we had a short conversation about that.

The transaction was rung up & off I went with a friendly "bye". I went around on some stuff and when I found out my mom was home from work, the kids & I went out with my mom for a bike ride around the neighborhood and a chat with one of our best friends who just happens to be our neighbor. (We were friends before we were neighbors. Funny how that kind of thing tends to work out)

I was discussing my Best Buy trip with my mom when she reminded me that I should have bought something else for an upcoming trip of ours (Disney Cruise Line to the Caribbean! I'm so psyched! ) So after we got home, I changed my sweaty shirt & went back to Best Buy. It's literally a 4-minute drive if the traffic lights are timed right, so it's no big deal to head over there. Well, on my way through the store to picking out this forgotten item, I casually lock eyes with the girl & think about having her ring up the transaction since she seemed to be rather friendly & totally cute.

However, her reaction, in my eyes, said otherwise. She gave me one of those extremely awkward smiles that people who seem to be kind of uncomfortable would give in an attempt to be polite. You know what I'm talking about. It wasn't a normal, friendly, welcoming smile. I got a little skeeved/creeped out by it (even though maybe I shouldn't have) & changed my mind and had someone else ring up the transaction.

After I was walking out of the place, I gave it some thought & I decided that she had obviously remembered me, but maybe the fact that I had changed my shirt and showed up relatively soon after (this was about an hour/maybe 90 minutes after my first visit that day) made it seem like I was stalking her or something? I'm not sure, I don't know what the hell women think. Maybe I should have had her ring up the transaction anyways and made some more small talk, but her reaction just seemed to have unnerved me enough to ignore her.

Have a great day, y'all!
It seems like you might be over-thinking things. I think it is a common thing for someone to offer to ring something up for you. It doesn't really mean that much. She was most likely being professional. Maybe next time you see her, tell her that you are interested in getting to know her more. Offer to take her out. If she says no, move on.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:12 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
It seems like you might be over-thinking things. I think it is a common thing for someone to offer to ring something up for you. It doesn't really mean that much. She was most likely being professional. Maybe next time you see her, tell her that you are interested in getting to know her more. Offer to take her out. If she says no, move on.
Don't do this. She already gave you signals the 2nd time you went in, that she wasn't happy to see you. She felt awkward about your coming in again. She thought maybe you were checking her out.

Yet another thread asking "If the cashier smiles and says (have a nice day/may I ring that up for you/may I help you), does it mean she's into me?"

She's not into you. Has your school semester finished yet? If not, you have a couple of weeks left to find a girl in school to chat up. Otherwise, girls in your neighborhood. That cute cashier came from a neighborhood around town. There are cute women like that in almost every neighborhood. Find them. Talk to them. Just don't come onto them at work. It's very awkward for the staff when customers do that.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:15 PM

691 posts, read 1,426,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger55 View Post
this is the weirdest post on this site. And incredibly poorly written, and difficult to follow.

A girl said hi to you at best buy. Big whoop.

irony!

Old 05-15-2013, 08:17 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger55 View Post
This is the weirdest post on this site. And incredibly poorly written, and difficult to follow.

A girl said hi to you at best buy. big whoop.
Don't burst his bubble he will marry her and have the Best children ever!

Old 05-15-2013, 08:17 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,937,635 times
I actually don't know what you are talking about regarding "those kind of awkward smiles". You may very well have grossly misinterpreted her body language. You should have walked over to her, mentioned that you'd forgotten this other thing, made some more small talk, and maybe asked her out if she gave you a better indication she really liked you.

But regardless, since you now "decided to ignore her," then my advice is to continue to do that ... ignore her. And not go to the store again unless you need to. And if you do need to go to the store, and you happen to see her again, then you can decide again whether you're going to attempt to talk to her at that time. But more than likely, this bird has flown the coop, and your best bet is to simply ignore her as you've said you will. Your not likely to pick up women at Best Buy anyways.

I don't think you can know based on this very limited interaction whether she is actually shy, whether she has any interest in you or whether she was just being friendly & professional.

I would recommend focusing on meeting women by engaging in social activities that will get you in touch with women who have similar interests to yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships