Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 09:41 AM

2,472 posts, read 4,212,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaning View Post
He is an alcoholic for sure. That would turn me off plus an idiot or obviously an irresponsible person.
He's not necessarily an alcoholic, but he hasn't learned his lesson regarding drinking and driving.

I don't think a clean criminal record is too much to ask for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 09:46 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,986,416 times
If he has a record, run.

I used to be run from guys who admitted to having had a DUI but I'm starting to see how common it is now...

I actually got pulled over last summer by the cops after the cops said I had dilated eyes and smelled of alcohol (I had 1 glass of wine with heavy Italian food maybe 3 hours before driving on the road). They had me do all the tests. Breathalizer came out to (wait for this) 0.00. The cops were laughing even though you could see how terrified I was. I asked them why they pulled me over. They said they got a call that I was weaving in and out of lanes (which wasn't possible being that there was one lane per direction...). When I asked about my eyes being dilated they said I should speak to my doctor (yeah great probable cause...). Left with no ticket or DUI just was scared.

I could move passed 1 DUI just being again that most people I know have gotten 1...

Old 05-19-2013, 09:48 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,599,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Well, Ted Bundy had that going for him.
Hehe, I know it proves nothing but if someone is able to write well, I tend to think that they have some intelligence. Yes, I know there are intelligent alcoholics and otherwise troubled people out there. I guess at this point, I shouldn't focus too much on the DUIs, but it's a reddish flag for me.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:51 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
STOP trying to talk yourself into it.

Suspended license is a BIG DEAL.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:00 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
I think a DUI is a mistake any decent person can have happen to them. All it takes is one glass too many and overestimating your ability to function properly. However, if you dont learn from the first time, you are just stupid after that.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:25 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,123,200 times
I agree ^^^. Once could have been a mistake, But twice? A person should have learned their lesson by now.

What have you observed about his drinking habits?

Old 05-19-2013, 10:27 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,332,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I think a DUI is a mistake any decent person can have happen to them. All it takes is one glass too many and overestimating your ability to function properly. However, if you dont learn from the first time, you are just stupid after that.
I agree here. If you've had a few drinks (buzzing but not completely drunk), there is a tendency to underestimate your level of impairment.

I actually bought a breathalyzer so I can have evidence of being legally not impaired in addition to feeling better before driving. From what I've read, there is a disconnect between how someone feels and the BAC level such that the feeling rises and falls faster than the BAC. Even if you feel better and haven't had any drinks for an hour plus, your BAC maybe higher than you think. I'd highly recommend buying one.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:32 AM

1,233 posts, read 1,782,374 times
A man who doesn't have much going for him but who has a criminal record has got to seem more sexy because at least he has taken some kind of risks in his life even if they were dangerous.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:32 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,986,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
I agree here. If you've had a few drinks (buzzing but not completely drunk), there is a tendency to underestimate your level of impairment.

I actually bought a breathalyzer so I can have evidence of being legally not impaired in addition to feeling better before driving. From what I've read, there is a disconnect between how someone feels and the BAC level such that the feeling rises and falls faster than the BAC. Even if you feel better and haven't had any drinks for an hour plus, your BAC maybe higher than you think. I'd highly recommend buying one.
Yeah I think I might buy one too actually. Sometimes I think I am really drunk after just 1 drink and won't get into my car of course.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:33 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,918,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanderous View Post
He's not necessarily an alcoholic, but he hasn't learned his lesson regarding drinking and driving.
The definition of alcoholism (or any addiction) is continuing to repeat the behavior despite significant negative consequences. Not learning his lesson after a DUI, which includes fines and fees of thousands of dollars, fits the definition.

Given that there were 7 years between them, it's possible he got his act together for awhile and then slipped again. It's also possible he never changed anything and was just lucky enough to not get caught for 7 years.

Last edited by Plzeň; 05-19-2013 at 11:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships