Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 02:38 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,723,439 times

Advertisements

Being a graduate student, esp in a Ph.D program, is like serfdom. Dates are a welcome distraction from the rack on which their advisers stretch their nerves and make them feel like the lowest form of life on this planet. Breath some life into them!

I never dated a grad student when i was a grad student. Dating myself? How boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 02:38 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,892,503 times
When I was a graduate student I was too busy really to date between working and going to school full time.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:42 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,983,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
The graduate course he takes wouldn't need to be in software engineer just because his bachelor's is
i was referring to the suggestion he lecture, that's what i quoted. i'm pretty familiar with graduate students and graduate programs and how many different paths there are

sure auditing some other classes or whatever isn't a bad idea but at point i'd just play the percentages to the max and take a dance class or something. easier, more fun, more social. just not all grad students. i think if someone really wants to limit themselves to just trying to date a graduate student (?why?) OKC is the best bet, as has been pointed out they're generally overworked and many will use online dating as a quicker and easier way of meeting people than other social avenues they might not have much opportunity for

Old 05-19-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
I used to see them pretty regularly on Match and eHarmony, though they tended to be a little older than the OP.
yes they're everywhere, but OKC certainly has the strongest nerd appeal of all the dating sites, that's what i meant i suppose. with the analysis blogs and user submitted rambling questions and all

Old 05-19-2013, 02:47 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,919,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
i was referring to the suggestion he lecture
Oops, sorry.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
yes they're everywhere, but OKC certainly has the strongest nerd appeal of all the dating sites, that's what i meant i suppose. with the analysis blogs and user submitted rambling questions and all
Yeah, it's been years since I've been on there, but at the time and place I tried it, the women I encountered were primarily of a different nerd variety than grad school nerds. I also didn't find it to have a very favorable M/F sex ratio as a guy. The grad students I encountered on eH and Match were generally mid-20's to mid-30's, though. Perhaps for a 23 year old OKC would have what he's looking for.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:52 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
That's another good idea I hadn't considered. You could also just take a class. (Many faculty are picky about who they let audit.) Since it's a large state school it probably has something where people with bachelor's degrees can take certain graduate courses as a "special student" without being admitted to a program. Then again, online dating would be cheaper and probably expose you to more people. The amount of homework is similar, though.
He works full-time. The only classes he might have the option of auditing would be evening classes. The charge for auditing is usually the same as regular tuition, unless he could somehow convince the faculty to allow him to sit in for free.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
He works full-time. The only classes he might have the option of auditing would be evening classes.
Yep, that's what I had in mind. It's pretty common for graduate courses to be in the evening, because many grad students work. Some employers will also let you do flex-time if you furthering your education during the day, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The charge for auditing is usually the same as for regularly-registered students, unless he could somehow convince the faculty to allow him to sit in for free.
At the universities where I've taught the "convincing the faculty to allow you to sit in for free" option is the only type of auditing allowed. I didn't realize some did a type of auditing where you had to pay and didn't need instructor approval. If you're going to pay full tuition I don't know why you wouldn't want to go ahead and also get full credit.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:05 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
At the universities where I've taught the "convincing the faculty to allow you to sit in for free" option is the only type of auditing allowed. I didn't realize some did a type of auditing where you had to pay and didn't need instructor approval. If you're going to pay full tuition I don't know why you wouldn't want to go ahead and also get full credit.
It depends on how much of a time commitment the auditor can make. Taking a class for full credit can involve time-consuming research projects.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
both univs i've gone to have had an official audit option, where it appears on your transcript. it's a bit like taking the class pass/fail, but even less pressure. i can't recall what the charge was; as an undergrad my tuition was flat fee once you hit the minimum full time number of credits and as a grad student, it seemed ridiculous, like you said

i too prefer the sort of "just ask the prof to sit in back" auditing you describe

the real problem though is if it's a closed campus. he won't be able to get a univ id and enter the building unless he's actually enrolled in something, even if he can just talk to the professor

to OP, you say it's not a really strong preference just something you kind of like (which seems reasonable to me!). that said, i think anything more than a keyword search at match/OKC/anywhere but POF is going to be more trouble than it's worth to specifically pursue graduate students since you aren't enrolled at a campus. it's also kind of silly to take a graduate level class just to meet women (not implying that's what you had in mind). that's what cooking workshops and those social dance classes are for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships