Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 03:12 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,919,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It depends on how much of a time commitment the auditor can make. Taking a class for full credit can involve time-consuming research projects.
True. I was just thinking if I was paying the money I'd go ahead and put in whatever time it took to get the credit, but I suppose there are people with more money than time who don't care about the credit. At age 23, though, if I was going to take a class I'd sure want credit, just in case I end up pursuing a master's that the class might count toward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 03:17 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,000,344 times
I'm a grad student at a large university and I can't imagine why approaching one of my classmates would be any different than approaching someone off the street. Grad students quite often roam cities freely so there's a good chance you've bumped into one of us before. Mind-blowing, I know.

Don't make it more difficult than it is.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:27 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,919,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
I'm a grad student at a large university and I can't imagine why approaching one of my classmates would be any different than approaching someone off the street. Grad students quite often roam cities freely so there's a good chance you've bumped into one of us before. Mind-blowing, I know.

Don't make it more difficult than it is.
I can't speak for others, but I certainly didn't mean to imply that approaching them is any different from approaching anyone else. We were just discussing ways to increase his odds of finding them in the first place. Hoping to bump into one on the street isn't a very high-probability scenario. ("Excuse me, miss, are you a grad student by chance?")

Old 05-19-2013, 04:00 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,000,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
I can't speak for others, but I certainly didn't mean to imply that approaching them is any different from approaching anyone else. We were just discussing ways to increase his odds of finding them in the first place. Hoping to bump into one on the street isn't a very high-probability scenario. ("Excuse me, miss, are you a grad student by chance?")
He asked how and where. The how is no different and neither is the where.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:28 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
Well, there's always the textbook store. At some universities, there's a general books department for the public, and a separate textbook department in the same store. Undergrad and grad students do hang out sometimes in the general books section.

OP, attend book readings on campus (or in the bookstore, wherever these events are held), and other special events. Attend concerts in the music department. The only problem with some of these suggestions is that there will be undergrad students attending, as well. And come to think of it, a lot of grad students would be older than you. At 23, your pool would be pretty narrow. Probably best to combine online dating, and looking for grad students there, in addition to attending campus-based events.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:29 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Pssst, OP: I hear a guy picked up the minx, here ^^, for a few dates by chatting with her in the yoghurt aisle of the grocery store. Don't rule out the grocery store near campus.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:08 PM

20 posts, read 24,927 times
Wow, I am thoroughly impressed with the quality and amount of responses from people trying to help me. Thanks. I had given thought to taking graduate level courses just for the sake of learning, and will look into how they may possibly fit in with my schedule. If I do decide to do it, it would be based on my desire to learn something new much more than my preference for graduate women (especially considering the gender ratio in my field). I have also been thinking of community college classes in fields completely unrelated to mine, since they are usually much more accepting of non-degree seeking students (and I don't have a strict requirement for graduate students). I am not viewing my situation as a problem, it's just an aspect of my life I think I should start being more assertive about, instead of just going to work and coming home, and hope one day something happens. I think I will try okcupid also, although it would take some serious mental reprogramming for me to initiate contact online with someone of interest. Do women contact men on those sites? Or is it a mirror of the real world where the contact is done mostly by men (disclaimer: my world view is based on my life experience)?

Old 05-19-2013, 09:03 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
Tell her to make you a sandwich.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:10 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,938,161 times
OP, why don't you try getting involved in some social group that you are interested in, like a hiking club, doctor who club, or some sort of musical/artistic activity. What are your interests outside of work ?

If you meet a woman who has common interests as you, who cares what degree she has ?

Old 05-19-2013, 11:15 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
He asked how and where. The how is no different and neither is the where.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships