Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 02:33 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,425,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaSol View Post
No..no and no..I used to be THAT cool girlfriend/wife and I finally got sick of it and woke up and smelled the coffee..I was TOO secure and TOO confident to the point it took me a moment to realize..It's not respectful nor appropriate..EVEN in the most platonic situations..please keep in mind..in nature..male and females are NOT biologically designed to be "FRIENDS" lmao.
So because it - for some reasons - did not work out for you - the entire thing is not respectful or appropriate? That is just bull from you.

I have no idea why your partner having opposite sex friends did not work out - you did not give details. But it not working out for you says nothing about the concept in general. Many people - in and out of relationships - have opposite sex friends. There is nothing lacking in respect or appropriateness there.

Quote:
Seriously..Science 101, peeps.
Try taking such a course before recommending it to others. We are biologically evolved to reproduce with the opposite sex. That is all. Biology says nothing more than that. It certainly says nothing about our social constructs - friendships - or the range of other emotional attachments we can have to other people.

Quote:
Majority of ALL affairs start out in friendship..another thing to keep in mind.
And the majority of child sexual abuse and rape occours by people that are closely known to the child. That does not mean that the majority of people closely known to children will abuse or rape them. You are misrepresenting statistics to feed your own bias here.

Alas we see this error/tactic on this forum a lot. People declaring that "The majority of X is done by Y" in the hope that the implication that "The majority of Y will do X" will automatically install itself in peoples brains.

The fact, even assuming it is a fact as you cited no numbers at all to back it up, that the majority of all affairs start with friendships says _nothing at all whatsoever_ about the number of friendships that will develop into affairs.

Quote:
You got married because you were deadset on making a commitment..Your attention needs to go to your spouse..not some same-sex friend.
And that "commitment" of which you speak - is not precluded by maintaining friendships. Let alone specifically friendships with one particular sex.

Quote:
just because you do NOT accept it doesn't mean you're somehow jealous/insecure/controlling
Not JUST because of that no. Whether you are jealous, insecure or controlling is not based on your rejecting allowing such friendships. It is based on the reasons WHY you decide not to allow them. So far the reasons you have given - which I have replied to above - are pretty bad ones.

Quote:
Another woman has ZERO business texting or calling a married man.
Yes she does - if that "married man" is her friend. Then she has every business - every right - and every cause to be contacting him. She certainly does not have to answer to - or justify herself to - the likes of you.

Quote:
I'd admit it if I were the jealous type (which..btw..isn't that bad of a flaw)
Agreed. Simply having ANY emotion - including jealousy - is not a flaw. At all. It is what one DOES with those emotions that is where the virtues or flaws come in.

Quote:
No spouse has ANY business putting energy into opposite sex relationship.
^ Totally bull. ANY person has the right to put energy into ANY friendship. Any one at all. It is a nonsense to assume that this should be decided solely based on the sex of that friendship. Because in a friendship the sex of the other person is not relevant - because you are friends with the PERSON. Not their genitals. Stop making it all about sex. Not all relationships are about that.

Quote:
WRONG all around
The only thing wrong all around I am seeing here - is your post.

Quote:
..with a 60% divorce rate..I don't care what anyone says about being cool/confident/trusting/swearing their partner will never cheat..
This is nonsense from you too. You are trying to smuggle in the implication that the divorce rate is related to "cheating". The reasons and causes for marital breakdown are legion and numerous. Infidelity is only one drop in an ocean of causes and factors. And even where infidelity is a factor - it is quite often not the cause of the marital breakdown - but a result of it.

Quote:
They are called VOWS for a reason.
And the "vows" many people make say nothing whatsoever about not maintaining friendships. That part - you yourself are simply making up.

Quote:
Seriously..tons of perfectly normal men out there that don't need female friends..Just like there are tons of us women who have zero interest in male friends.
No man "needs" a female friend because when we choose our friends we do so based on wanting to be friends with that PERSON. Not their sex or their genitals. If I meet someone I want to be friends with then I will pursue a friendship with them. What "sex" they are is - quite literally - the last thing on my mind in such a scenario. And I can think of no reason why it should be. Nor have you provided one I notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 02:43 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times
No husband or wife should have a friend of the opposite gender. It's bound to cause problems.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:43 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:
No..no and no..I used to be THAT cool girlfriend/wife and I finally got sick of it and woke up and smelled the coffee..I was TOO secure and TOO confident to the point it took me a moment to realize..It's not respectful nor appropriate..EVEN in the most platonic situations..please keep in mind..in nature..male and females are NOT biologically designed to be "FRIENDS" lmao. Seriously..Science 101, peeps. Majority of ALL affairs start out in friendship..another thing to keep in mind.

However, even then..I realize it IS possible to have a friendship with opposite sex people..BUT I just don't think that once you are MARRIED there should EVER be any grey area when it concerns that. To me..it's black and white..You got married because you were deadset on making a commitment..Your attention needs to go to your spouse..not some same-sex friend.

It's all really stupid..People are SO desperate to prove they are cool, hip, secure and confident..and therefore have no problem with their spouse's having opposite sex relationships...that are THAT close..LONG time friends from before the relationship..alrighty..that's somewhat fair game..but after that? HELL NO..Anyone who condones that is just an idiot lol..and with a 60% chance of every marriage ending in divorce..I look at the successful long term marriages and ya know what I noticed? THE VAST MAJORITY DO NOT HAVE OPPOSITE SEX FRIENDSHIPS IN THE MIX lol.

SO I guess it's all what you want and what you're willing to accept and just because you do NOT accept it doesn't mean you're somehow jealous/insecure/controlling...Give me a break...Another woman has ZERO business texting or calling a married man..I would never do that because I know it's not my place so these broads need to stop acting like they don't know better...

I could go on and on about how devilishly goodlooking I am, what an amazing career I have, how I'm in high demand, intelligent, have an awesome sense of humor and am therefore FAR from jealous and insecure (LOL) but I will not..No need for me to lie..I'd admit it if I were the jealous type (which..btw..isn't that bad of a flaw) but I'm actually far from jealous..Read my first sentence..I was too confident and cool about things..

Also..know that there's a difference between jealous and being upset that you feel there aren't appropriate boundaries or respect in your relationship. Don't get it twisted, peeps..

So my answer..Hell no..No spouse has ANY business putting energy into opposite sex relationship. WRONG all around..Not sure when in the hell this became acceptable and appropriate..but like I said..with a 60% divorce rate..I don't care what anyone says about being cool/confident/trusting/swearing their partner will never cheat.. P.S. Those are the ones that usually cheat lol

I am not worried about my partner cheating but just like I am not going to pat him on the back and give him a gold sticker for going to the strip club I'm not going to jump up and down in approval at him making friendsy friends with another female. WHY? Because I'm not willing to sit there like some jackass while my husband makes girlfriends..

..and I know this is an old thread but I want other women out there to read that..Everyone is so eager to answer and give the "cool" "politically correct" answer and that's fine but I'm here to tell you..no..it's actually no appropriate and if ANYONE in ANY relationship doesn't like it, it needs to stop immediately..ESPECIALLY if you're married..They are called VOWS for a reason.
Wow!
You're kidding, right?

Old 08-06-2014, 02:47 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,425,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
No husband or wife should have a friend of the opposite gender. It's bound to cause problems.
Except many many do - all without problems.

Careful when dealing in "shoulds" here - all too often the "should" is just baseless assertion by people who simply want something to be true - but have no argument to suggest it actually is.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:35 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
I'm not married, and I know you have to trust your spouse but I'd have a hard time trusting ANY women around him.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:05 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times
When I read all of these types of threads, IMO, it all really boils down to respect, priorities, boundaries, and protecting your marriage/relationship above all else. If you operate with the best interests of your partnership in mind always, then there shouldn't be problems.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:02 AM

8,781 posts, read 9,451,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
When I read all of these types of threads, IMO, it all really boils down to respect, priorities, boundaries, and protecting your marriage/relationship above all else. If you operate with the best interests of your partnership in mind always, then there shouldn't be problems.
This is all it boils down to really.

Unfortunately lots of people live ignoring the obvious or assume trust is blind.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:03 AM

138 posts, read 171,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
The fact, even assuming it is a fact as you cited no numbers at all to back it up, that the majority of all affairs start with friendships says _nothing at all whatsoever_ about the number of friendships that will develop into affairs.

And that "commitment" of which you speak - is not precluded by maintaining friendships. Let alone specifically friendships with one particular sex.
It's interesting that you tear up BellaSol's argument for lacking facts and statistics, but offer none to counter their argument.

The reality is that the facts do support the idea that friendships with potential mates are perilous at best.....
"There are, indeed, people who profess friendship but intend to steal another’s mate. About half of 236 college-age men and women surveyed in a June 2001 study in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology said they had tried to attract another’s partner at least once. And 85 percent of them said someone had tried to attract them away from a mate at least once."
Opposite-sex friends travel slippery slope | The Journal Gazette

Sex will always get in the way of the male-female relationship | Mail Online

So rationalize away, but the reality is that there is a reason the mates get upset over these friendships, because they turn into more far too often and even when that doesn't happen it's not unusual for that energy to be just under the surface.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:02 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,769,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
^^^^^ I agree

Old 08-06-2014, 03:05 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,769,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Except many many do - all without problems.

Careful when dealing in "shoulds" here - all too often the "should" is just baseless assertion by people who simply want something to be true - but have no argument to suggest it actually is.
Ok...

Will my feeling is...

My personal opinion is...

or My personal philosophy is...

work for you instead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships